|coat of arms||map|
|region:||Rhône Alpes (boss lieu)|
|surface:||47.87 km ²|
|inhabitants:|| 465.300 (city)|
(conditions 1. January 2005)
| Population density:|
|geographical situation:|| |
Coordinates: 48° 51 ' N,02° 20 ' O 48° 51 ' N, 02° 20 ' O
|height:||173 m and. NN|
|postal zip codes:||69001-69009|
|city arrangement:||9 Arrondissements|
|mayor:||Gérard Collomb (HP)|
The city is because of the confluence of the Rhône and that Saône. With about 450,000 inhabitants it is to Paris and Marseille the third biggest city of the country. That approximately 1.3 million inhabitant counting population centre ranks after the Île de France country-wide in second place.
The old part of town Lyons became 1998 of the UNESCO as the world cultural heritage explains. Lyon is a diocese of the Roman-catholic church - bishop seat is the cathedral Saint Jean in the old part of town. More salient is however the Basilika Notre-Dame de Fourvière, who establishes , 1871 on the point of the hill of the same name, which towers above entire city.
The Lyoner catering trade enjoys a exquisiten call: The praised variety of the traditional kitchen finds proximity and navigable entrance to the Mediterranean their origin in the rare combination of alps -. North and south the city close the areas of cultivation of wine Beaujolais and/or. Côtesyou Rhône on. Historically the city is closely linked with canuts, the silk webers, their handicraft during the industriellen revolution the driving resource was. In addition Lyon is annual as city of the light well-known, that in honours to 8.December the fête of the lumières is celebrated.
Lyon is the hometown of the physicist André Marie Ampère, philosophies Savitri Devi Mukherji, the writer Antoine de Saint Exupéry, the cook of world fame Paul Bocuse as well as the Wegbereiter of the modern Cinema, the brothers Lumière.
Lyon is seat of the international police authority interpole.
Table of contents
Lyon became 43 v. Chr. of the Romans under the name Lugdunum (hill of the light or hill of the Raben: the Etymologie is still disputed) created as administrative centre Galliens; a celtic settlement however already existed before.This role held the city over three centuries, before their meaning in the course of the fall of the Roman realm decreased/went back.
In the year 177 the Märtyrerin Blandina was burned here, which later one made the Stadtpatronin of Lyon. In late ancient timeshere a “university” existed, at which among other things also Sidonius Apollinaris studied; also Lyon was early diocese and/or. Ore diocese. 461 the city fell to the Burgunden and remained up to Frankish conquest 534 king residence. The city became 725 of that Arabs, who broke in coming from Spain into the Franconia realm, devastates.
only in the 11. Century attained Lyon again greater supraregional importance, than the catholic church of the city the head office overGallien (Primat of the Gaules) awarded, which she possesses this very day. The cardinal of Lyon is still the head of the catholic church in France.
The city resulted 1032, like also the entire Kingdom of Arelat,the holy Roman realm. In the Renaissance deeply felt Lyon due to the silk trade a renewed development thrust. 1348 raged however the plague also in Lyon, which 1310 had been occupied by French troops.
- Université Claude Berne pool of broadcasting corporations Lyon 1 
- Université Lumière Lyon 2 
- Université Jean Moulin Lyon 3 
- Université Catholique de Lyon 
- Ecole normal Supérieure Lettres Sciences humaines [ 5] Institut
- of d'Etudes Politiques (Sciences Po) et de Lyon 
- Ecole nationalsupérieure sciences de l'information et the bibliothèques 
- Ecole national one Beaux kind de Lyon 
- Ecole normal Supérieure de Lyon 
- Ecole de Management de Lyon 
- Ecole Centrale de Lyon 
- Institut national of the Sciences Appliquées de Lyon 
- École Supérieure Chimie Physique Électronique de Lyon CPE 
Lyon is one of the oldest centers of the French faience production; since 1512 faience is manufactured here, at first probably of Italian immigrants. The products of the late 16. Century remind of contemporary Majolica from Urbino.
The most well-known enterprise from Lyon might be the major bank Crédit Lyonnais, whose head office is in a salient multistoried building in the east of the city, which is called its form because of Crayon (pencil).
Furthermore refineries exist and further industry.
Lyon is of France second largest railway junction with the stations Perrache and part Dieuas well as the marshalling yard Sibelin and 1982 were the first city, which was connected with Paris by the TGV.
Been because of the autoroute you Soleil, which underruns the old part of town in a tunnel at the west side, know many tourists Lyon only outthe tunnel perspective.
Lyon has one a modern Metro with four lines, of those without driver and onewith gear wheel enterprise on the way is. As additional offer of the ÖPNV became beside the bus and Oberleitungsbus - net at the beginning of the millenium also a streetcar builds. In addition on the Fourvière hill two endless rope haulage systems lead.
beside numerous theatres and Lyon offers cinemas also an opera house (Opéra national de Lyon), which has supraregional meaning and whose architecture is considered as masterpiece of the architect Jean Nouvel.
Lyon is in particular admits for its puppet theatre, which climbs around the city-historically coined/shaped figure of the Guignol.
Lyon deposits 15 city-own libraries, a national orchestra (Orchestre national de Lyon) to the 30 museums (Musée of the Confluences,…),National music conservatory, as well as numerous important choirs, and are considered besides as the gastronomische center of the country.
A Lyoner street name might be world-wide probably unique: „the road of the first film “. The road lies in the 3. Urban district and is exactly onthe place, where the brothers Lumière 1895 turned that allegedly first film of the world. Today one can visit a museum in this road for the history of the film in the former house of the family Lumière. A modern cinema became for that“Institut Lumière” in the place of the former chemistry factory of the Lumières built.
a further cultural characteristic is the Maison de la Danse. This offers completely on dance into to all its forms aligned program,of classical ballet over modern Tango up to experimental dance theatre. Every two years organize the Maison de la Danse one in each case under another topic standing Biennale, those the entire city in September two weeks long into a gigantic dance stagetransformed. In the year 2004 the topic “Europe” read.
At the left Sâoneufer, north the city centre, is the Subsistances. It concerns here one in an old convention on the Saône bank accommodated culture complex, that itself the current styles of artistic creationin all his forms dedicates, i.e. Dance, theatre, new circus forms, video, computer performances, etc.
in the park de la Tête d'or gives it a small Tierpark, on the Fourvière hill in the west to the city is a theatre from the Roman time, thatalso today still for performances, particularly in the summer months, is used and a Odeon, a smaller theatre, which was reserved musical performances. The Croix Rousse one discovers hills against it on the remainders of the Roman Amphitheaters. A remarkable buildingin Lyon is the route not accessible for the public métallique de Fourvière.
partnerships between cities
Lyon maintains with the following cities partnerships.
in Lyon is the football - club Olympique Lyonnais at home, that as a first crew five national championships in consequence (2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006) won and Cup winner (Coupe de laLigue) from 2001 is. The home stadium is the Stade Gerland (official: Stade Municipal de Gerland) in 7. Arrondissement to the Avenue Jean Jaurès.
sons and daughters of the city
- Pierre Laurent Aimard, French pianist
- Clodius Albinus, was holy spoken one the emperor of the Roman
- five-emperor yearly 193 André Marie Ampère, mathematician
- and physicist Sidonius Apollinaris, writer, bishop von Clermont Ferrand,
- Raymond Aubrac, civil engineer and prominent member of the Résistance
- Pierre Bertaux, Germanist
- Dominique blank, French actress
- Mark of Bloch, historian
- Paul Bocuse, Koch
- Sylvain Calzati, cyclist with the running universe Ag2r Prévoyance
- Caracalla, Roman emperor
- Alexis Carrel, French surgeon and Nobelpreisträger
- Boniface de Castellane, General and marshal ofFrance
- Eugène Chaboud, French Formel-1 and sports car running driver
- Jean Chacornac, French astronomer
- Yves Chaland, French draughtsman and Comicbuchautor
- Chlothilde of Burgund, Mrs. von Chlodwig I.
- Jean Paul Civeyrac, French film director
- Claudius, Roman emperor
- Laurent Clerc,historical figure in the history of the deaf its nature of the USA
- Guillaume Coustou D. A., Painters and sculptors
- Nicolas Coustou, sculptor, brother of Guillaume Coustou
- Antoine Coysevox, French sculptor
- Philibert Delorme, French architect of the Renaissance
- Jacques Deray,French director
- Gérard Desargues, French mathematician
- Savitri Devi, philosophies and authoress
- Youri Djorkaeff, football player
- Raymond Domenech, football player and national coach of the French national soccer team
- Jules Favre, French politician
- Henri Frenay, politician and member of the Résistance
- Tony Garnier, architect
- walter Gieseking, German pianist and composer
- Michèle Girardon, French actress
- Robert Giscard, Arzt and one of the first seven brothers of the Communauté de Taizé
- Ludovic Giuly, French football player
- Hector Guimard, French architect
- Maurice duke, mountain climber and politician
- Irish from of Lyon, church father, was bishop in Lugdunum in Gallien
- Joseph Marie Jacquard, French inventor, developed the loom crucially far
- Pauline Marie Jaricot, foundress of the work of the faith spreading
- Jean Michel Jarre, FrenchRepresentative of the electronic music
- Maurice Jarre, French composer
- Marie Ennemond Camille Jordan, mathematician
- Antoine Laurent de Jussieu, Botaniker
- Allan Kardec, alias of the founder of the mirror-image guessingism, Hippolyte Léon Denizard Rivail
- Louise Labé, Dichterin
- Pierre François Lacenaire,More closely, criminals and murderer
- Jean Marie Leclair, composer and violonist of the baroque
- Louis Mark hand, organist and Cembalist
- André Morellet, economist and writer
- Thierry Noir, French painter
- Olivier Panis, former formula 1-Rennfahrer
- Dominique Perben, French politician
- Adolphe Perraud, clergyman, bishop von Autun, Kardinal; Member of the Académie française
- Abbé Pierre, priest and founder of the Emmaus municipality
- Louis Antoine Ranvier, French Anatom
- Julie Récamier, French salon lady
- Antoine de Saint Exupéry, Dichter and Flugzeugpilot
- Valentine deSaint POINT, French Dichterin and Futuristin
- Jean Baptiste Say, economist and businessman
- Eric Emmanuel Schmitt, writer
- Louis Sclavis, Klarinettist, saxophonist, composer and picking up vein
- Josephin Soulary, poet
- Louis Gabriel look for, French marshal, duke of Albufera
- Bertrand Tavernier, film producer
- Sylvie Testud, French actress
- Jean-Claude Trichet, Finanzexperte and Präsident of the European central bank
- Petrus Valdes, buyer, Wanderprediger and founder of the Waldenser
- Charles Marie Widor, organist, composer and teacher
Web on the left of
|Commons: Lyon - pictures, videos and/orAudio files|