|office language||English, Marshallisch|
|capital||Dalap Uliga Darrit|
|system of government||Republic of|
|head of state||president Kessai note|
|surface||181 km ²|
|number of inhabitants||59,071 (conditions July 2005)|
|Population density||of 326 inhabitants per km ²|
|gros domestic product/inhabitant||2,380 US-$ (2004)|
|independence||21. October 1986|
|time belt||UTC +12h|
|national anthem||Forever marshal Islands|
Table of contents
Marshall Islands consist of two nearly parallel runningIsland and atoll chains. The advice AC chain (sunrise) in the east consists of 15 atolls and islands, and the ral IC island chain (sunset) in the west of 16 atolls and islands. Both chains cover themselves together 1152 islands and Inselchen, over an area of 1.900.000km ² in the middle Pacific extend.
Two-thirds of the population live on Majuro (those at the same time the Hauptinsel is) and Ebeye. The othersIslands are only thinly populated or uninhabited because of missing work and growth prospects. Capital and largest city of the country are Delap Uliga Darrit.
See also: List of the places on Marshall Islands
- Ailinginae atoll (uninhabited)
- Ailinglaplap atoll (staatl. District)
- Ailuk atoll (staatl.District)
- Arno atoll (staatl. District)
- Aur atoll (staatl. District)
- Bikar atoll (or Bikaar; uninhabited)
- Bikini atoll (uninhabited)
- Bokak atoll (uninhabited)
- Ebon atoll (staatl. District)
- Eniwetok atoll (staatl. District)
- Erikub atoll (uninhabited)
- Jabat island (staatl. District)
- Jaluit atoll (staatl. District)
- Jemo island (uninhabited)
- Kili island (staatl. District)
- Kwajalein atoll (staatl. District)
- Lae atoll (staatl. District)
- dear island (staatl. District)
- Likiep atoll (staatl. District)
- Majuro atoll (staatl. District)
- Maloelap atoll (staatl. District)
- Mejit island (staatl. District)
- Mili atoll (staatl. District)
- Nadikdik atoll (or Knox; uninhabited)
- Namorik atoll (or Namdrik; staatl. District)
- Namu atoll (staatl. District)
- Rongelap atoll (staatl. District)
- Rongerik atoll (uninhabited)
- Toke atoll (uninhabited)
- Ujae atoll (staatl. District)
- Ujelang atoll (uninhabited)
- Utirik atoll (or Utrik; staatl. District)
- Wotho atoll (staatl. District)
- Wotje atoll (staatl. District)
office languages are English and Marschallisch.
except the fact that it in 2. Millenium v. Chr.from Mikronesien were settled, are few admits over early history of the islands. As first Europeans started the Spanish discoverer Alonso de Salazar 1526 the islands. The Spaniards made however no further requirements on the island valid. The islandsremained unconsidered for further two centuries of the Europeans, until it visited the English captain John marshal 1788. After it the islands were designated later. Beginning 19. Century of cartography ores it the German-Baltic discoverer Otto von Kotzebue as an officer thatRussian navy for the first time.
After 1885 had become established a German trade company on the islands, they became official 1906 part of the colony German new Guinea. Japan conquered it 1914 during the 1. World war and established on its Militärbasen.
To 31. January 1944 became the Kwajalein atoll in 2. World war because of the strategically good situation of the archipelago taken by the USA. Within fewer weeks 30 further islands fell to the USA. They established a military basis of Air Force carriers on Majuro.
After the war belongedthe islands for the protected area of Pacific islands of the USA on behalf the United Nations. The USA accomplished atomic tests on the Atolls Bikini and Eniwetok into the 1960er through years. Many inhabitants got sick thereupon because of increased radioactivity and becametherefore evacuates. Until today their claims for damages are not recognized by the USA.
1979 became Marshall Islands as republic independently and closed an association agreement, which stepped 1986 into force, with the USA. They achieved formally complete independence after international right 1990, after the order for protection ended by the UN to the USA officially.
republic since 1990. Condition of 1979, last changes 1990. Parliament (Nitijela) with 33, advice of the master leaders (Council OF Iroij) with 12 members. State andHead of the government: Kessai H. Note, since 2000. Independently since 1990 (trust shank of the USA of the UN waived). Since 1983 exists a free treaty of association with the USA, which are entrusted with defense policy.
the air marshal Islands is the national airline.
- Gross national product 1997: 80 millions Euro
- gross national product 1997/inhabitant: 1,3141 euro
- gross national product 1997/km ²: 442,532 euro
Marshall Islands became known into the 1950er - year,as the USA accomplished hydrogen bomb tests at the Bikini atoll and on Eniwetok. 1966 was released the islands of the Americans again as habitable, those inhabitants were again evacuated however in the middle of the 1970er, since the radiation dose increased again. After today's realizationsthe area will be again habitable at the earliest 2010 to 2040. Some areas were explained for 24,000 years as the restricted area.
Marshall Islands are at place 5 of the list of countries, sorted according to Suizid rate descending.
Web on the left of
- land and travel information of the office for foreign
- general ones and routistic information
- large summary page (English)
14 oceanic UN member states:
Australia | Fiji | Kiribati | Marshall Islands | Mikronesien | Nauru | New Zealand | Palau | Papua New Guinea | Salomonen | Samoa | Tonga | Tuvalu | Vanuatu
other undisputed States of/special cases:
Cookinseln | Niue
other disputed states:
Hutt River Province
other areas (z. B. Colonies):
American Samoa | Bakerinsel | Tie-clip by clay/tone island | French Polynesien | Guam | Heard and McDonald islands | Hawaii | Howlandinsel | Jarvisinsel | John clay/tone island | Kingmanriff | Kokosinseln | Midwayinseln | Neukaledonien | Northern Marianen | Norfolkinsel | Osterinsel | Palmyra | Pitcairninseln | Tokelau | Wake | Whale-read and Futuna