max of Barthel (* 17. November 1893 in Dresden - delete joke; † 28. June 1975 in Waldbröl) belonged together with Heinrich Lersch and Karl Bröger in the first third 20. Century to the most well-known worker poets and stepped out in his later years in particular than author of choir texts.
Table of contents
to communist and Social Democrat
In this time it published flaming revolution poems. The poems in the book worker soul (1920) had in socialrevolutionary Emphase factory, Landstrassse, journey, war and revolution to the topic. Soon it published also the pictorial Sichel and hammer of the international worker assistance. Two longer stays in the young Soviet Union as well as the impressions and experiences collected there led however to the fact that it loose-said itself from disappointment of communism. 1923 joined max Barthel of the SPD . Discredited by its earlier communist going away it since that time than traitors verfemt and.
In first marriage max of Barthel was married with the Kommunistin Luise Kaetzler. From this marriage originates his son Thomas Barthel, which put the foundation-stone for the deciphering of the writing of the Osterinsel in later years. Luise Barthel geb. Kaetzler left 1923 max of Barthel and was received a relationship with the communist journalist Alexander Abusch , the later culture Minister of the GDR.
relationship to the national socialism
1933, after the seizure of power of the national socialists, he brought first to the new ruling powers closer a call much-considered at that time at its writer colleague, the new political order as chance for Germany to recognize themselves on, among other things and “join” instead of in the exile to go. In the novel “the unsterbliche people “(1933) he drew the way of a worker from communism to the national socialism after. He became a lector/editor at the same time in the Büchergilde good mountain expropriated by the national socialists. Although max of Barthel welcomed the seizure of power of the national socialists initially, it never joined the NSDAP. Rapidly it recognized the true character of the new rulers of Germany and selected the internal emigration. 1934 were already quit to it on the part of the new line of the Büchergilde the there lector activity. Max Barthel returned from Berlin to Dresden and omitted further political expressions. In the years until 1945 he worked as a journalist, published several Kolportageromane and choir seals and was among other things as war correspondents actively.
after end of war was max of Barthel in the Soviet zone of occupation and/or. the later GDR one “persona non grata” - both by its earlier break with Soviet communism and by its temporary turn to the national socialism like not last also by its private involving with prominent communists such as Alexander Abusch.
1948 it escaped the threatening arrest by Soviet crew power and appearing the condemnation to hard labour in the uranium mining industry only scarcely by escape into the French zone of occupation at that time. Several of its books were in the SBZ and/or. later GDR forbade: 9 of its publications was stated in the there list of the literature which can be selected.
Max Barthel lived after its escape from 1948 to 1969 in bath mash victory in the Rhine country. He spent the last years of its life in the house of his daughter in Litterscheid, a small village in the Bergi country.
Max Barthel died in Waldbröl at the age of 81 years to 28. June 1975.
the war experiences were trips for its lyric work. 1916 appeared its first poem volumes verses from the Argonnen. These poems met at that time the nerve of a whole generation and announced it suddenly. Later Federal President Theodor Heuss praised at that time Barthels “eigenwüchsige and harsh language strength, so far by the measured vocabulary of the mass poets”. Barthel ranked among the poets, who got themselves “on the highways their school leaving certificate and whose Universities of the workshops were”, as it formulated its friend Heinrich Lersch once.
The literary work max of Barthels after 1945 was unpolitical. In particular it made itself a name as an author of choir texts as well as of Kinderlyrik. 1950 it did not publish the auto+biographic novel need of world history, in which it brought up for discussion its own enticing barness by left like right ideologies with totalitarian requirement for omnipotence and the associated existenzielle disappointment and tearing upness.
- of verses from the Argonnen, 1916
- liberty! New poems from the war, 1917
- revolutionary poems, 1919
- Utopia, poems, 1920
- the fist, seal, 1920
- let us the world win, 1920
- worker soul. Verses fist raised from factory, highway, journey, war and revolution
- , 1920 the heart in, Balladen from the prison, 1920
- abundance of the heart, poems, 1924
- message and instruction, poems, 1926
- Argonner forest, Balladen and poems, 1938
- thank saying, poems, 1938
- Hutzlibum. Childlike verses, 1943
- the laughter parade, sense and nonsense poems, 1943
- in the field ziehn the soldiers. New soldier songs and poems, 1943
- red poppy, 1964
- the star comes in each year, 1970
novels, narrations, reports on a journey
- the journey to Russia, 1921
- from red Moscow to the black sea, 1921
- the red Urals, 1921
- the vergitterte country, novellas, 1922
- the iron man, tragic comedy, 1924
- the bone mill, narration, 1924
- the place of the people revenge, narrations, 1924
- the way into the free, narration, 1924
- the play with the doll, novel, 1925
- Germany. Photos and shade tears of a journey, 1926
- the mill to the dead man, narration, 1927
- humans at the cross, novel, 1927
- the Putsch, 1927
- earth under the feet. A new Germany journey, 1929
- ascent of the talented ones, novel, 1929
- the blockhouse at the Volga, novel, 1930
- the conspiracy in the heath, 1930
- the large fish course. An experience novel from Soviet Russia, 1931
- races after the luck, narrations, 1931
- the face of the Medusa, novel, 1931
- the unsterbliche people, novel, 1933
- the golden tank shirt, narration, 1934
- in the country of the seven Krater, novel, 1937
- the federation of the three - a dog also participates. A merry adventure narration, 1938
- German men in the red Urals, novel, 1938
- the black Sahib, adventure novel from India, 1938
- rebellion in the Caucasus, narration, 1938
- wedding in Peschawar, 1938
- Kornsucher and head measurer, 1938
- the sun of India, 1938
- assault at the Khyber passport, 1938
- races around the temple in ruins, 1938
- the country on the mountains, novel, 1939
- the refugee of Turkestan, 1940
- the road of the eternal longing, novel, 1941
- the house at the highway, novel, 1942
- thirteen Indian, narration, 1943
pieces of stage
- the Revolverblatt, newspaper comedy, 1929
- the play of the German work man, 1934
- no need on World history. History of a life, 1950
- Jack London
- under the sun tent, 1938
- adventurers of the Schienenstranges, 1939
- the sea-wolf, 1939
- the fame of the fighter. From Boxern, bull fighters and upright men, 1940
- LOCK call of the gold, 1940
- Jerry of the islands, 1940
- South Seas stories, 1940
- people at the abyss, 1941
- in the Slums, 1942
- the island bound, 1950
Barthel also contributions for the homeland yearbook of the circle Ahrweiler wrote: List of the contributions of max of Barthel
- Karl Wolfgang Barthel and. Helga cherry tree: List of works max of Barthel. Berlin: Barthel 2000.
- Max Barthel, hrsg. v. Fritz Hüser. Dortmund: Urban public libraries 1959 (= poet and philosopher of our time; 26)
- Michael Hugh Fritton: Literature and politics in the November revolution 1918/1919. Theory and practice of revolutionary writers in Stuttgart and Munich (Edwin Hörnle, Fritz back, max of Barthel, Ernst Toller, Erich laborious). Frankfurt/Main and others: Long 1986. (= European university writings; 01; 926) ISBN 3-8204-8999-1
- Wolfgang Leesch: Archivists as poets. A contribution to German literature history. In: Archivali magazine. Cologne and others, 78, 1993 (1994), S. 1-189.
- Listing of the archives existence to the worker poets Paul carouse (1881-1946), Gerrit Engelke (1890-1918) and max of Barthel (1893-1975) as well as overview of the deduction of Heinrich Lersch and catalog to the exhibition “worker poet to war and working sphere”, hrsg. v. Fritz Hüser institute for Germans and foreign worker literature. Dortmund: Institut 1984
Web on the left of
|of ALTERNATIVE NAMES|
|DATE OF BIRTH||17. November 1893|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Dresden - delete joke|
|DYING DATE||28. June 1975|