|of these articles treats media as means of communication.:) Further meanings, see medium.|
media are means of communication of humans. Further well-known definitions call media:
- “Switching carriers of information” (horn/Kerner)
- “information broker between source andLower " (Fluckiger)
- “media are intermediaries and form a sphere of the switching” (Winkler)
- “of institutionalized communication channels” (Saxer, communication science)
Table of contents
examples of individual media are the printed media, book in such a way specified and newspaper, in addition,the handbill and the poster, in more recent time then photography, telephone, film, sound broadcasting, television and Internet. Media use indications, in particular symbols such as writing and language or music.
it can depending upon viewpoint different kinds by media be differentiated, whereby overlaps are possible.
Media can systematic be classified in
- discrete (time-independent) and continuous (time-dependent media).
- visual and auditive media as well as if necessary. Audiovisual media
- representation, presentation and information exchange media (inclusively Memory and Transmitting medium).
according to technical criteria
- none the partner uses technical aids (z. B. Maintenance between two persons) = primary media
- of one the partner uses technical aids (z. B. Printed media) = secondary media
- both partners use technical aids (z. B. Sound broadcasting, Television) = tertiary media
- for communication is necessary a computer (z. B. Internet) = quart acres media (whereby is questionable whether this not also among the tertiary ranks)
after the degree of the public
- inter+personnel communication
- small's group communication
- organization communication
- mass communication
Further distinction possibilities
- mass media are usually one-sided means of communication for reaching many receivers, thus for example the newspaper contrary to the chain letter.
- Interactive media
- multimedia media
- electronic media z. B. Net publications
- similar ones vs. Digital storage media
functions of the media
- orientation in the flood of information
- Communication function
- bringing up for discussion
- forming of an opinion also medium manipulation criticism or control
- makes , sees exercising
- for maintenance possible (modification of the bringing up for discussion function)
The medium is the message marshal McLuhan: McLuhan assumes with its system-theoretical beginning contents do not determine the media, but that the media influence on thoseContents take. Because about which the community is dependent, coins/shapes the social structure: “Technical media are products or raw materials exactly the same, like it coal, cotton or oil are.” (McLuhan, the magic channels.)
control of the media
depending upon the persons and/or. Organizations, itcontrol, can five groups by media be differentiated.
- Nationally controlled media. In many states sound broadcasting and television are controlled directly by the state.
- Media with public status such as pool of broadcasting corporations and Second Channel of German Television. In Germany the socially relevant groups (parties, religious communities, employee, employer representatives and others) are into thatSupervisory boards represent.
- Media in the possession of private businesses. Most media in the western world are in the possession of large companies.
- Media in the possession of churches and similarly not profit-oriented hierarchical organizations.
- Media, which are controlled by the persons cooperating in it, like z. B. indymedia or ofthe editorship such as z. B.jungle world.
occupations of medium
among occupations of medium ranks and. A.: the journalist, photographer, commercial artist, designer, editor, Mediengestalter, medium computer scientist, medium paedagogue, picture editor and moderator.
- Ulrich Enderwitz: The media and its information, Freiburg 1990 - ISBN 3-924627-46-0
- Hartmut Winkler: “Medium definition”. In: Medium science, No. 1/2004. On-line version
- Stefan Hoffmann: History of the medium term (archives for term history), Hamburg 2002
|Wikinews: Media - current messages|
|Wiktionary: media - word origin, synonyms andTranslations|
|Wiktionary: Media - communication media Riepel law [work on|
- word origin , synonyms
- translations medium craze agenda Setting
- medium science and