|flag||coat of arms/seal|
|pointed name:|| Wolverine state|
(Wolverine State); Great Lake State
|rank (within the USA):||11|
|altogether:||250,941 km ²|
|country:||147,255 km ²|
|water (%):||103.687 km ² (41.3%)|
|rank (within the USA):||8|
|since:||26. January 1837|
|time belt:||Eastern: UTC-5/-4|
|degree of latitude:||41°41'N to 47°30'N|
|degree of longitude:||82°26'W to 90°31'W|
|highest situation:||603 m|
|average situation:||275 m|
|deepest situation:||174 m|
Michigan (indian. in addition, large lake) is well-known as place of birth of the automobile industry, possesses large tourism - an industry. Destinations such as cross beam town center, Mackinac Iceland and the entire upper peninsula pullSportsman and nature lover from the whole USA and Canada on. Michigan has the longest coast of a US Federal State with exception of Alaska and is the Federal State with most sport boats.
Table of contents
once an important supplier of wood, iron and copper, Michigan became after acceptance of natural resources at the beginning of the 20. Century for the place of birth of the automobile industry. Henry Ford first address in Highland park, a suburb of Detroit, marked the beginning of a new era in the transportation of passengers and changed the social climate of the USA durably. Although still many automakerstheir addresses in Detroit have, the city after the Second World War its supremacy in this area lost, since many automakers left the large trade areas and because of the lower wages new addresses in the Southern States and abroad based.
early ones European history
- 1622 reached Etienne Brule and its companion Grenoble, French discoverers, as probably first white ones the upper lake.
- 1701 created Antoine de Lamothe Cadillac and its second lieutenant Alphonse de Tonty in the place of the today's Detroit an outguard, whom they called away Pontchartrain.
- 1805 from the Indianaterritorium was created the Michigan territory, with Detroit as seat of the government and William cladding as a governor. Detroit was destroyed by a fire.
- 1812 after outbreak of the War of 1812 British troops under Sir Isaac forced break Brigadier General into Hulls army in Detroit to the surrender and kept parts of Michigan occupied, to them by the American victory in the battle on the Eriesee in the autumn 1813 forced to the retreatbecame. By the battle at the Thames River also the strength of the Indians one broke.
- 1835 first condition-giving meeting. The governor, Steven T. Mason, promoted a controversy with Ohio over the affiliation of the city Toledo, later than Toledo warone designated. Ohio, which was represented already as Federal State in the congress, reached the joggle Masons and the acknowledgment of the requirement on Toledo, but Michigan received the western part of the upper Halbinsels, which belonged so far to the Wisconsin territory as remuneration. Under thatnew condition, which was approved of by congress of US, Mason became again governor, after he won the choice. (The governors were appointed so far by the Federal Government.)
further one important historical events
- 26. January 1837 became Michigan 26. State of the USA
- 1847 were determined Lansing by law as new capital.
- 1957 the eight kilometers long Mackinac bridge became at the 1. November opens.
- 1974 Gerald R. Ford from Grand Rapids became 38. President of the United States of America
- 1987 Michigan celebrated that150. Anniversary of its admission as state of the USA.
Michigan consists only by the Mackinac the bridge of two peninsulas, the upper ones and the lower peninsula, connectedare. Over 80% of the population of Michigan live in the southernmost third of the lower peninsula. The remaining areas are thinly populated and partly swampy.
The climate of Michigan takes world-wide a privileged position, since it is maritime damp (by the large seas), butcontinental variations in temperature with very hot summers and very cold winters exhibits.
The upper peninsula is rich at Bodenschätzen such as iron, silver and copper. Also smaller Goldvorkommen were discovered. In 19. Century dominated mining industry the economy of the upperPeninsulas. Because of the climate one finds little agriculture on the upper peninsula. The tourism is in the meantime the largest industry.
|1. April 2000||1. July 2004|
|smelling esters Hills||Oakland||68,825||69,480|
|Saint Clair Shores||Macomb||63,096||61,864|
Web on the left of
- http://www.michigan.gov/ official Website(English)
- Travel Michigan offiz. Tourism portal of the State of Michigan
- history of Michigan
- German forum for removal after and lives in Metro Detroit, Michigan detailed German-language index concerning all interests of the daily life in the region Detroit, MI.
federal acts: Alabama |
Louis IANA |
New Hampshire |
New jersey |
New Mexico |
New York |
North Carolina |
North Dakota |
Rhode Island |
South Carolina |
South Dakota |
Threshing floor lake |
West Virginia |
governmental district: Washington (D.C.)
external areas: American Samoa | Bakerinsel | Guam | Howlandinsel | Jarvisinsel | John clay/tone island | Young remote islands
Kingmanriff | Midwayinseln | Navassa | Northern Marianen | Palmyra | Puerto Rico | Wake
free associates: Marshall Islands | Palau | Mikronesien
Alger | Allegan | Alpena | Antrim | Acre NAK | Baraga | Barry | Bay | Benzie | Berrien | Branch | Calhoun | Cass | Charlevoix | Cheboygan | Chippewa | Clare | Clinton | Crawford | Delta | Dickinson | Eaton | Emmet | Gene lake | Gladwin | Gogebic | Grand cross beam | Gratiot | Hillsdale | Houghton | Huron | Ingham | Ionia | Iosco | Iron | Isabella | Jackson | Kalamazoo | Kalkaska | Kent | Keweenaw | Lake | Lapeer | Leelanau | Lenawee | Livingston | Luce | Mackinac | Macomb | Manistee | Marquette | Mason | Mecosta | Menominee | Avoiding country | Missaukee | Monroe | Montcalm | Montmorency | Muskegon | Newaygo | Oakland | Oceana | Ogemaw | Ontonagon | Osceola | Oscoda | Otsego | Ottawa | Presque Isle | Roscommon | Saginaw | Sanilac | Schoolcraft | Shiawassee | Pc. Clair | Pc. Joseph | Tuscola | Van Buren | Washtenaw | Wayne | Wexford