|surface||34,083, 52 km ² (4.)|
|Inhabitant||18.059.839 (1.) (30. June 2005)|
|Population density||530 Einwohner/km ² (4.)|
| GROS DOMESTIC PRODUCT |
- portion GROS DOMESTIC PRODUCT Germany
| 2005 (estimated) |
|debts||6,031 € per inhabitant (at the end of of 2005)|
|debts entirely||102.5 billion € (2004)|
|official Website||North Rhine-Westphalia|
|Prime Minister||Dr. Jürgen Rüttgers (CDU)|
|federal state parliament president||Regina van Dinther (CDU)|
| allocation of seats in the federal state parliament|
|CDU 89, SPD 74, B'90/the Green 12, FDP 12|
|last choice||22. May 2005|
|voices in the Upper House of Parliament||6|
North Rhine-Westphalia lies in the west of Germany and is with approximately 18 million inhabitants the most densely populated Land of the Federal Republic of the Federal Republic of Germany, surface-related at 34.080 km ² fourth largest. The state capital is Duesseldorf, the largest city is Cologne.
Table of contents
North Rhine-Westphalia is coined/shaped in the north by the Westfäli low country. Sour country, Bergi country and winner country in the south are closely wooded with considerable Höhenzügen from 500 to over 800 meters.
In the west and the Niederrhein follows the Eifel . In the center of North Rhine-Westphalia the Ruhr district with the cities Bottrop , gel churches , Herne and Recklinghausen in the north, Dortmund lies, Hamm and Hagen in the eastern part, jokes in the southeast, Bochum, meal, upper living and Mülheim at the Ruhr in the center as well as Duisburg and Moers in the west. Further large cities are in the north Münster, in the east Bielefeld and Paderborn, in the south victories and in the southwest Bonn, Cologne, Bergisch Gladbach, Leverkusen, Aachen, Moenchengladbach and Krefeld and the bergischen cities Wuppertal, rem-separate and Solingen as well as the state capital Duesseldorf and Neuss lying of Cologne Rhine downward.
contrary to other Lands of the Federal Republic (e.g. Baden-Wuerttemberg) does not give it in North Rhine-Westphalia uniform administrative structures with the designation to “region”. The country is as political art thing by the British military administration 1946 for the prevention of an allocation of four-power of the Ruhr district(Demand by the Soviet Union after the model Berlin) formed with the pool of the former Prussian countries Rhine province (northern part) and Westphalia to create around facts thus completed with this spacious administrative unit as country under British control and itself thatTo secure access to the Ruhr district as a whole with its important mining industry.
North Rhine-Westphalia is divided into the three regions: North Rhine, stands for the northern Rhine country as well as Westphalia and the region lip which was added later (since 1947). Among them becomes natural-space andsozio culturally into further regions with landschaftlichen purchases divides.
- Rhine country
- Lipper country, the region ehem. Free State
as well as economicaland sozio cultural special region also
- the Ruhr district, is appropriate in the Rhine country, partly in Westphalia [
highest mountain is the long mountain (843.1 m)
- further ones of mountains sees: List thatAdministrative arrangement building of the North-Rhine/Westphalian federal state parliament
in North Rhine-Westphalia [work on] of
- the national Ministries
- national upper authorities
- state support authorities and
- the lower Land authorities.
on the level of the nationalCentral instance is arranged the country into five governmental districts:
- Arnsberg - inhabitants: 3.776.723 (31. December 2004)
- Detmold - inhabitants: 2.071.642 (30. June 2004)
- Duesseldorf - inhabitants: 5.238.172 (30. June 2004)
- Cologne - inhabitants: 4.363.797 (31. December 2004)
- Münster - inhabitants: 2.624.314(30. June 2004)
Originally (1816) there were seven governmental districts, from those 1822 the governmental district Kleve with the governmental district Duesseldorf and with effect of the 1. July 1972 the governmental district Aachen was combined with the governmental district Cologne.
At the 1. April 1947 was combined the administrations of the governmental district Minden and the former Free State lip in Detmold (condition of the former Free State lip). The governmental district Minden was thus increased around the circles Detmold and Lemgo and to 2. June 1947 in governmental district Detmold renamed.
is discussed already for some time to reduce the number of the governmental districts to three. All municipalities in the Ruhr district, which are organized in the regional association Ruhr, are to be summarized thereafter in a governmental district. The remaining parts of theCountry should be assigned then the governmental districts Rhine country and Westphalia. The landscape federations are to be dissolved here.
The conversion of this idea was announced from the 2005 formed CDU/FDP federal state government to 2012. Afterwards is it in the future three regional presidencies Rhine country, Ruhr districtand Westphalia give, which are to adapt the still from Prussian time taken over governmental districts. These planning affects however also historical and state-legal questions, there both the governmental district concerned Detmold and the regional organization lip in the context of the entry of the former Free State lip after North Rhine-Westphalia were regulated 1947 in the Lippi preliminary drafts *1 ) with clear promises at lip. Besides there are regional of resistances, which criticize the addressed administrative units as too large and centralistic.
*1) over the state-legal meaning gives it contentiousViews
the local autonomy in North Rhine-Westphalia perception of the circles, the municipalities circle-belonging and cities, the circle-free cities, the different Zweckverbänden, e.g. the regional association Ruhr, the traffic group Rhine Ruhr andthe traffic group Rhine victory as well as the two landscape federations Rhine country and Westphalia lip.
circles and circle-free cities
the country North Rhine-Westphalia is divided into 31 circles and 23 circle-free cities, which do not belong to the circles.
(in clips in each case the Kfz characteristic)
cities and municipalities
the country North Rhine-Westphalia are arranged into 396 cities and municipalities. Of it 23 circle-free cities and 373 are circle-belonging of cities and municipalities.
|gel churches||gel churches (city)||278,695||269,281|
|upper living||upper living (city)||222,151||219,148|
|Mülheim at the Ruhr||Mülheim (city)||172,862||169,905|
|Neuss||Rhine circle Neuss||150,013||151,589|
|victories||victory joke gene stone||108,476||106,544|
|Bergisch Gladbach||Rheinisch Bergi circle||105,693||105,688|
|jokes||Ennepe Ruhr circle||103,196||101,019|
with an inhabitant density of 530 inhabitants for each km ² ranks North Rhine-Westphalia among one close-settled areas of the world. (in each case to 31.December d.J.)
|of the country||after|
2002 18.076.355 2003 18.079.686
work on] to history
of the country North Rhine-Westphalia [ work on] its legal bases with the regulation No. 46 of the British military government of 23. August 1946„Concerning the dissolution of the provinces of the former country Prussia in the British zone and their new formation as independent countries “. From the northern part of the Prussian Rhine province and from the Prussian province Westphalia the new country North Rhine-Westphalia is formed.
1947the past Free State lip on operation of the British must give its Selbstständigkeit up and decides after negotiations with both neighbouring countries Lower Saxony and North Rhine-Westphalia (both British administrative zone) for the connection after North Rhine-Westphalia. To 21. January 1947 steps by the BritishMilitary regulation No. 77 the combination into force.
North Rhine-Westphalia had at that time 11.8 million inhabitant.
historical basic data
- 23. August 1946: Education of the country North Rhine-Westphalia
- 21. January 1947: Regulation Nr.77 of the British military administration for the integration of the country lipafter North Rhine-Westphalia comes into force.
- 5. November 1948: The federal state parliament in Duesseldorf decides the law over the combination of the countries lip and north Rhine Westphalia.
- 8. May 1949: The Basic Law for the Federal Republic of Germany is passed. North Rhine-Westphalia becomes Land of the Federal Republic.
- 10. May 1949: The parliamentary advice intends Bonn for the provisional Federal Capital.
- 18. June 1950: Acceptance of the condition by popular vote.
- 10. March 1953: The Landesgesetz over the national colors, - flies a flag and - coats of arms is passed.
- 12. May 1953: The landscape federations Rhine country and Westphalia lip are created.
- 11. May 1954: The establishment of the West German broadcast is decided.
- 30. June 1965: The federal state government opens the Ruhr University in Bochum.
- 12. December 1968: The federal state government opens those University of Dortmund.
- 1. July 1969: The first stage of the reorganisation of the municipalities and circles comes into force. Thereby first the number of the municipalities in the country is reduced.
- 1. August 1971: The educational provision in North Rhine-Westphalia becomes around 15 Professional schools in Aachen, Bielefeld, Bochum, Dortmund, Duisburg, Duesseldorf, Essen, Hagen, Cologne, Krefeld, Lemgo, Münster, Paderborn, victories and Wuppertal extends.
- 16. May 1972: The comprehensive universities follow in Duisburg, meal, Paderborn, victories and Wuppertal as well as
- 1975 the only German correspondence university in Hagen.
- 1. January 1975: The second stage of the reorganisation of the municipalities and circles comes into force. Thereby again the number becomesthe municipalities reduces and all circles again-arranged in the country.
- 17. October 1994: The new circle order and the new Gemeindeordnung come into force, after which the local double head is abolished. The step-by-step selection of the land advice and the mayor become simultaneous and/or. Mayor imported.
- 6. July 1999: The constitutional court yard of the country North Rhine-Westphalia explains the five-per cent hurdle with local elections for unconstitutional. The clause thereupon painted in the local election law.
- 1. January 2003: All comprehensive universities are transferred into exclusive universities.
- 22. May 2005 thoseSPD loses 14 with the choice. Federal state parliament after 25 years the status as a strongest parliamentary group and after 39-jähriger government (since 1995 with the Greens) is sent of the voters into the opposition. The past opposition from CDU and FDP occurs coalition negotiations.
- 22. June 2005 scarce 39 years after the fall of Franz Meyers by a constructional vote of no confidence to 8. December 1966 is selected with Jürgen Rüttgers for the first time CDU politicians to the Prime Minister.
See Hauptarikel: Political system of North Rhine-Westphalia
the Prime Minister von Nordrhein-Westfalen is Jürgen Rüttgers. It became to 22. June 2005 the successor of Peer stone-bridge, after the CDU to 22. May 2005 the election of the federal parliament had won.
election result to 22. May 2005
the official final result of the choice is:
|A party||voices||per cent||of seats|
|Party of Democratic Socialism||72,989||0.9||-|
large information with the national returning officer North-Rhine/Westphalia
coat of armsand flag
Landeswappen reflects the spatial composition of the country again. It shows in front the symbol for the Rhine, in the back the horse, the symbol for the region Westphalia, and in the point the Lippi rose drawn in downfor the Lipperland.
Because of frequent inquiries the country let a Wappenzeichen, which resembles the coat of arms however contrary to it by everyone permission-free be used can sketch. The use of the national coat of arms however is only subject to approval and in principle the authoritiespermitted.
The national flag is accordingly green white red the colors of the coat of arms; the national service flag carries additionally Landeswappen.
|Landeswappen||Wappenzeichen||national flag||national service flag|
- Hartmann, Jürgen (Hrsg.): Manual of the German Lands of the Federal Republic. To Bonn 1997
Web on the left of
|Wiktionary: North Rhine-Westphalia - word origin, synonyms and translations|
|Wikinews: North Rhine-Westphalia - current messages|
|Commons: North Rhine-Westphalia - pictures, videos and/or audio files|
- Website of theCountry North Rhine-Westphalia
- “national office for data processing and statistics North Rhine-Westphalia”
- national data base North-Rhine/Westphalia, the statistic information system up to district level
- North Rhine-Westphalia tourism registered association.
- North Rhine-Westphalia in the German city plan service
- of election results (ministry of the Interior)
- further one left to the topic „North Rhine-Westphalia “ in the open directory Project
- map North Rhine-Westphalia 1789
- information and resourcesto the history of Westphalia in the Internet portal “Westfäli history”
- guidelines for the admission of the country lip into the area of the country North Rhine-Westphalia (agrees between Prime Minister Dr. Amelunxen and national president Drake, “Lippi preliminary draft so mentioned” of 17.01.1947