Oak Ridge national Laboratory
the Oak Ridge national laboratory (ORNL) is a scientific and technological laboratory of the US-American energy Ministry. The scientists and engineers of the ORNL concern themselves with research and development in basis and applied range of completely different fields of activity. A goal of the work of the ORNL is it to strengthen the Führerschaft of the USA in scientific central areas to ensure the availability from sufficiently clean energy to the environment to protect and restore and to national security contribute.
The ORNL is occupied even with further work for the energy Ministry, like for example the production of isotopes, the information management or the technical project and program management. Furthermore it supports other organizations with technical and research know-how.
original well-known as Clinton Laboratories was created the ORNL 1943. It had at that time an exactly defined task (Site X), i.e. the uranium enrichment for the production of fissile uranium 235 for the Manhattan Project ( the building of atom bombs) in the Second World War. In the course of the years the laboratory developed to the first address in things of national energy and environmental questions. Today it is an established laboratory for the development of new energy sources, technologies and materials and the research in the areas of biology, chemistry, information technology, environmental sciences, physics and social sciences.
numbers, data, facts
- coworkers: Totally 3800, of it 1500 scientists and engineers
- budget: 1,07 billion USD, of it 80% from the energy Ministry, 20% other
- replacement value of the real estates: 7 billion USD
- surface: 150 square kilometers
- guest scientists: 3000 per year, approx. a quarter from the industry
- visitor: Approx. 40.000 per year, of it about 10,000 pupils
- paid salaries: 274 million USD per year
- procurements: 270 million USD per year
- medical supply: 35 million USD per year
- threshing floor lake tax revenue: 9 million USD per year
- pensions: 60 million USD per year