Order OF Merit
|of these articles is occupied with the British medal, for the rank list in the gulf sees order OF Merit (gulf)|
of the order OF Merit is a British medal. It became 1902 of king Edward VII. in the life called, in order personalities, that furnished outstanding achievements with the military, in science, art, literature or in other areas to honour.
The decision over the medal award does not meet it excluding the monarch, a suggestion of the prime minister requires. The medal, which has only one class, is divided into a civilian and a military department; the number of the members is for both departments together on 24 plus the king and/or. the queen limits. The so far last medal carrier of the military department was lord Louis Mountbatten († 1979). The medal can be lent honour for the sake of also to foreign persons; they are not taken in account to the maximum number. Foreign carriers of the medal were and/or. are and. A. Albert Schweitzer, Dwight D. Eisenhower, nut/mother Teresa and Nelson Mandela. The medal could be lent from the outset also at women, to Florence Nightingale was 1907 the first Ordensträgerin.
With the award order of the OF Merit is struck the honouring not to the knight, may not call itself thus not Sir. It is however authorized, its name the letters “COM” (so-called. to place behind post office nominals).
The medal character is a red, blue bordered cross, towered above from one gold-ends crown. In the center the words For Merit written in golden letters are on blue email, surrounded by a laurel ring. With the badge for the military department additionally crossed swords are in the center. The medal volume is in blue and red held.
acquaintance earlier medal carriers
- Joseph Lister, father of the antiseptic surgery
- Henry of moorlands, sculptors and painter
- T. S. Eliot, Lyriker, Dramatiker, Literaturnobelpreisträger
- Ralph Vaughan Williams, composer and conductor
- Benjamin Britten, composer
- Ted Hughes, poet and writer
- vienna clay/tone Churchill, Premierminister
- Bertrand Russell, mathematician
- Clement Attlee, prime minister
- Robert bathe Powell, founder of the pathfinder movement
- Douglas Haig, general field marshal
- Horatio harsh ore Kitchener, field marshal
- Geoffrey de Havilland, Flugpionier and Konstrukteur
- Isaiah Berlin, philosopher
- Cicely Saunders, lady doctor
- David Lloyd George, politician, Minister of Finance
- presidency: Elizabeth II.
- Philip Mountbatten, duke of Edinburgh (1968)
- Owen Chadwick (1983), theologian
- Andrew Huxley (1983), bio physicist
- Frederick singer (1986), biochemist
- Margaret Thatcher (1990), former Prime Minister minister
- Joan Suez ago country (1991), opera singer
- Michael Francis Atiyah (1992), mathematician
- Lucian Freud (1993), painter
- Aaron intelligent (1995), biochemist
- Norman Foster (1997), architect
- Denis Eric Rooke (1997), entrepreneur
- James W. Black (2000), Pharmakologe
- Anthony Caro (2000), artist
- Roger Penrose (2000), mathematician
- Tom stop pool of broadcasting corporations (2000), author
- Charles Mountbatten Windsor, Prince OF Wales (2002)
- Robert May (2002), zoologist, president of the Royal Society
- Jacob Rothschild (2002), banker
- Betty Boothroyd (2005), in former times Speaker of the House OF Commons
- David Attenborough (2005), director
- Michael Howard (2005), military historian
) gives it only 21 tidy medal members, after in July 2005 Cicely Saunders, which deceased foundress of the Hospizbewegung.