Orléans is a city in central France. The city to the Loire is university and bishop seat with an impressive cathedral and has approximately 115,000 inhabitants. Orléans is seat of the prefecture of the Loiret.
table of contents
Orléans one based during the reign of the emperor Aurelian; the name “Orléans” represents a lautliche advancement of its name.
In merowingischer time Orléans became at short notice the independent kingdom, could however like Parisnot when durably exist such (511 to 613). It was later an administrative unit in the context of a county. For the end of the Middle Ages, the Mr. von Orléans could attain at least again the title “duke”. 1428 and 29 was the city in the hundred-year warlast bastion of the Frenchmen against the Englishmen. To 8. May was released it under guidance from Jeanne d'Arc, which received the surname “virgin in this connection from Orléans”, from the FE storage. In the modern times Orléans was the name of a collateral line of the Bourbonen,with Louis Philippe from 1830 to 1848 on the French throne came.
development of the number of inhabitants:
Mr. von Orléans
- 511 - 524 Chlodomer, as a king
- 524 - 561 Chlothar I., as a king, in personnel union
- 561 - 592 Guntram I., as a king, in personnel union
- around 827 Matfrid, asCount
- ??? - 834 Odo, as a count
- 852 -??? Robert, as a count
(list is still supplemented)
objects of interest
of the old part of town is the Place you in the evening Martroi, on thatsince 1855 a rider fixed image of Jeanne d'Arc is. Most well-known object of interest of Orléans is the powerful Cathédrale Ste Croix (holy cross cathedral) from the year 1278. It is east the Place you Martroi and became in the place one from that 10. Jh. coming church builds.
partnerships between cities
of sons and daughters
- Alfred Cornu, French physicist
- Eucherius of Orléans, bishop von Orléans
- Charles Péguy, French writer
- Jeanne Berta Semmig, authoress (* 1867 - † 1958)
- Marie Touchet, loving the king Karl IX. of France
Web on the left of
- http://morgann.moussier.free.fr/orleans/histoire/histoire.htm , Geschichte
coordinates: 47° 54 ′ 11 " N, 1° 54 ′ 18 " O