Although most itsProjects were never carried out, are considered it as one of the artistically most influential directors of the Hollywood - cinemas. Its first film, Citizen Kane, is often called the best film at all.
Table of contents
Orson Welles famous OF the Worlds became by the radio play was. For the Halloween - day 1938 it produced with the Mercury Theatre after the collecting main of the Science Fiction novel War of the worlds of H.G. Wells a fictitious report, those with their Erstausstrahlung to 30. October 1938 at the east coast of the USA a mass panic caused. After the appearance of its film Citizen Kane Welles was considered as a miracle child. With on itit was not able to do justice to the following works this requirement however.
Among other things due to his marriage (1944 ‒ 1948) with Rita Hayworth was to be found frequent his name in the boulevard press. Brief was Welles also politically, rather up„link “side of the political spectrum, engaged. 1948 left Welles Hollywood toward Europe. Here it made 1949 attentive by the role of the Harry Lime in the third man on itself.
The following decades were coined/shaped by failures. Filmslike Mr. Satan personally and in the indication of the bad one by some critics were praised, however hardly found the Zuspruch of the public. Besides they were often brought out versions cut changed by the producers without agreement Welles ′ in and.
By theseExperiences disappointed to realize tried Welles now its projects themselves. In order to make the money for it, it played in over 100 films also. That it thereby also at inferior projects participated - it played in advertising spots along and synchronized approves ofIndication trick series - reputation let be in the public further to sink. Also he probably suffered from it.
With the implementation of its own, potenziell many more valuable projects, he was pursued now by the pitch:
- The film The Deep was nearly finished, as thatMoney went out and the turning work to be shifted had. Shortly thereafter the leading actor died, so that the missing scenes could not be turned any longer.
- A filming of Shakespeares the buyer of Venice was already posed, but several Filmrollen disappeared.
- TheOTHER simmers OF the wind, a partial auto+biographic film around an aging director, is to today object of judicial arguments, because the brother-in-law of the last Schahs Mohammad Reza Pahlavi was involved in the financing.
Larger attention attained Welles onlyonce 1975 with the interlocked film essay F such as falsification, in that the disputed art counterfeiter Elmyr de Hory and that not less disputed author Clifford Irving, some falsified Biografie over Howard Hughes as well as a genuine Biografie over thatde mentioned Hory had written, to be portraitiert. The film does not take it thereby with the truth also always exactly, which is however intended.
In this film also Oja Kodar arises, a Croatian-French actress, those in Welles ′ to last Lebensjahrenits closest companion and woman employee became. It cooperated among other things in the film script of The OTHER simmers OF the wind .
Its cinematic deduction bequeathed it Oja Kodar.
Welles referred particularly during the large economic crisis of the 1930er year, like many other artists that popular front, in its films also to socialTopics position. It supported the election campaign of Franklin Delano Roosevelt, with which it was in a friendly manner connected. Welles stood later due to its politically on the left of arranged activities and opinions as well as contacts to members of the communist party on the notorious black list of senator Joseph McCarthy, the director/conductor of the committee for un-American activities.
particularly of The OTHER, possible in the indication of the bad one “, simmers OF the wind, appliesuntil today as uncertainly, among other things due to legal arguments with Welles' daughter. Peter Bogdanovich, one of the few friends supported Welles', a publication last. Also Oja Kodar recruits for years for it; among other things developed with its assistance1994 the documentation Orson Welles: The One One volume (about: The one-man orchestra, an allusion on Welles' various activities and at the same time title one of its Kurzfilme), in which many before unpublished cutouts were to be seen. Characteristically it gives also from this documentationdue to law cases different versions.
- of films (so far differently does not note, than actors):
- 1934 ‒ The Hearts OF Age
- 1941 ‒ Citizen Kane (Citizen Kane); also direction
- 1942 ‒ the gloss of the house Amberson (The Magnificent Ambersons); also direction
- 1943 ‒ of agents hunted (Journey Into Fear); also direction
- 1944 ‒ the orphan of Lowood (Jane Eyre)
- 1944 ‒ Follow the Boys
- 1946 ‒ mornings is the eternity (Tomorrow Is Forever)
- 1946 ‒ the trace of the stranger (The Stranger); also direction
- 1946 ‒ duel in the sun (Duel into the Sun)
- 1947 ‒ the lady of Shanghai (The lady from Shanghai);also direction
- 1948 ‒ Macbeth - the king murderer (Macbeth); also direction
- 1949 ‒ the third man (The Third one)
- 1949 ‒ count Cagliostro (Black Magic)
- 1949 ‒ in the claws of the Borgia (PrinceOF Foxes)
- 1950 ‒ the black rose (The Black rose)
- 1951 ‒ return after Glennascoul (Return ton of Glennascaul)
- 1952 ‒ Othello (The Tragedy OF Othello: The moorland OF Venice); also direction
- 1952 ‒Trents last case (Trent's load Case)
- 1953 ‒ L'uomo, la bestia e la virtù
- 1955 ‒ Trouble into the Glen
- 1954 ‒ Versailles - kings and women (SI Versailles m'était conté)
- 1955 ‒ murder without murderers(Three Cases OF Murder)
- 1955 ‒ Napoleon (Napoléon)
- 1955 ‒ Mr. Satan personally (Mr. Arkadin); also direction
- 1956 ‒ Moby thick (Moby thick)
- 1957 ‒ the devil wages (one into theShadow)
- 1958 ‒ the long hot summer (The Long, Hot buzzer)
- 1958 ‒ in the indication of the bad one (Touch OF Evil); also direction
- 1958 ‒ the roots of the sky (The root OF Heaven)
- 1959‒ The obligation to the bad one (Compulsion)
- 1959 ‒ ferry to Hong Kong (Ferry ton of Hong Kong)
- 1960 ‒ David and Goliath (David e Golia); also direction
- 1960 ‒ drama in the mirror (Crack into theMirror)
- 1960 ‒ Austerlitz - gloss of an emperor crown (Austerlitz)
- 1961 ‒ the young general (La Fayette)
- 1961 ‒ king of the kings (King OF Kings)
- 1961 ‒ act arene (I Tartari)
- 1962‒ The process (Le procés); also direction
- 1963 ‒ Ro.Go.Pa.G
- 1963 ‒ hotel international (The V.I.P.s)
- 1965 ‒ in the realm of the Kublai Khan (La fabuleuse aventure de Marco Polo)
- 1965 ‒ Falstaff (CampanadasA medianoche); also direction
- 1966 ‒ [[Paris burns? (Of Paris brûle t IL?)
- 1966 ‒ a man at each season (A one for universe Seasons)
- 1967 ‒ Casino Royale (Casino Royale)
- 1967 ‒ only one womanon board (The Sailor from Gibraltar)
- 1967 ‒ king Ödipus (oedipus the King)
- 1967 ‒ which comes to it…? (I'll Never Forget What's'isname)
- 1968 ‒ hour of the truth (The Immortal story); also direction
- 1968 ‒ each house of cards break (House OF Cards)
- 1968 ‒ fight for Rome I
- 1969 ‒ the battle by the Neretva (Bitka well Neretvi)
- 1969 ‒ star of the south (The Southern star); also direction
- 1969 ‒ twelve plus one (12 + 1)
- 1970 ‒ The Deep; also direction
- 1970 ‒ the letter to the Kremlin (The Kremlin type character)
- 1970 ‒ the French revolution did not find instead of (start theRevolution Without ME)
- 1970 ‒ Catch-22 ‒ the bad trick (Catch-22)
- 1970 ‒ Waterloo (Waterloo)
- 1971 ‒ a Zauberer at my side (A Safe Place)
- 1971 ‒ the tenth day (La décadeprodigieuse)
- 1972 ‒ the treasure island (Treasure Iceland)
- 1972 ‒ assistance, I have success! (GET ton of Know Your Rabbit)
- 1972 ‒ Necromancy
- 1974 ‒ F such as falsification (Vérités et mensonges); also direction
- 1976 ‒Journey of the condemned ones (Voyage OF the Damned)
- 1981 ‒ the blond butterfly (Butterfly)
- 1992 ‒ Don Quijote de Orson Welles; Direction (turned starting from 1955)
- 1999 ‒ Moby thick; Direction (turned 1971)
- radio plays:
- For thoseCD version of valley OF Mystery and imagination by Edgar Allan Poe of the Alan Parsons Project he spoke short texts of Poe
- likewise transferred it the text passages in the songs Dark Avenger and Defender of Manowar. Live-concerts of Manowar beginthis very day with the text passage spoken of him: „Ladies and gentlemen, from the United States OF America, all hail Manowar! “
|Wikiquote: Orson Welles - quotations|
- on the question whether it a mass public feel obligated:
- „Ivery gladly a mass public would have. If I had one, I him to feel obligated. “
- „Whether my financial emergencies increased my creativity? No. “
- Orson Welles and Peter Bogdanovich: Here Orson speaksWelles. 635 S. Beltz Quadriga, Weinheim 1994 - with chronology and Filmografie still the standard work
- David Thomson (1997): Rosebud. The story OF Orson Welles. New York: Vintage Books 463 S., ISBN 0-67977283-9 - probably the best biographyover Welles; poetically, steps into an imaginary dialogue with Welles
- André Bazin (frz. 1958/dt. 1980): Orson Welles. With preface of François a Truffaut. Paris: Edition you Cerf/dt. Wetzlar: Can of the Pandora 233 S. (Bibliotheca Cinemabilia, Bd. 1), ISBN 3-88178500-0 - outstanding
- Peter Buchka, Urs Jenny, Peter M. Ladiges and Hans's Helmut Prinzler: Orson Welles. [Row film volume 14]. Hanser, Munich and Vienna 1977, ISBN 3-446-12454-3
- Barbara Leaming: Orson Welles. A Biography. Penguin, Harmondsworth 1987, ISBN 0-14-009246-3
- Hitting a corner hard way: Orson Welles. [Row rowohlts monographien],160 S. Rowohlt, Reinbek 1996, ISBN 3-499-50541-X
- 1995: The battle around Citizen Kane. Direction: Thomas Lennon, Michael Epstein. With Orson Welles, and. A. Music: Brian Keane, Maurice Wright,and. A. Production: Thomas Lennon, Michael Epstein, The American Experience, Lennon Documentary Group. 1 video cassette (video home system, 108 min.), color., mono.
Web on the left of
| | * Literature of and over Orson Welles in the catalog of the DDB
- Orson Welles in the Internet Movie DATA cousin
- Wellesnet is a singular find pit to lives and work
- The Mercury Theatre (Website with MP3 and RealMedia files of Orson Welles radio plays)
- Biografie on film zeit.de
- Biografie and transmitting times of its films
- Orson waving it retrospective with Filmfestival of Locarno, daily mirror, 4. August 2005
- Orson waving it retrospective of the film museum Vienna, September 2005
|SHORT DESCRIPTION||US-American director, actor and author|
|DATE OF BIRTH||6. May 1915|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Kenosha, Wisconsin, the USA|
|DYING DATE||10. October 1985|
|DYING PLACE||Los Angeles, California, the USA|