Otto Meissner (* 13. March 1880 in Bischweiler, today Bischwiller in the Elsass; † 27. May 1953 in Munich) was during the entire Weimar Republic and beyond that director/conductor of the office of the realm president, under Friedrich Ebert, Paul von Hindenburg and finally Adolf Hitler.
Its son is a well-known German travel writer Hans Otto Meissner.
Table of contents
Meissner, son of a post office official, studied from 1898 to 1903 law in Strasbourg, where it became also member of the Strassburger Burschenschaft Germania (today in Tübingen), and Berlin, attained a doctorate 1902 to the Dr. jur., 1903/04 carried its military service out off and occurred 1906 as Gerichtsassessor the elsass lothringischen law service. He changed 1908 into the civil service as Regierungsassessor with the imperial central management of the railways in Elsass Lorraine and Luxembourg. In the years 1915 to 1917 Meissner participated in the First World War . Until 1919 it was then rather behind the front actively, first in Bucharest, then in Kiew and finally as German representatives at the Ukrainian government.
Owing to its good contacts Meissner 1919 became speaking advice in the office of the realm president Friedrich Ebert and ascended 1920 to the Ministerialdirektor and director/conductor of the office of the realm president. 1923 appointed it Ebert the undersecretary of state.
He dressed this function also under Paul von Hindenburg.
When Hitler took over the functions of the head of state after Hindenburgs death 1934 also, the office was renamed 1935 Präsidialkanzlei and limited to competencies representative and formal affairs. Meissner was appointed in the year 1937 the Minister of State in the rank of a realm Minister and boss of the Präsidialkanzlei of the leader and realm chancellor.
After the Second World War Meissner became to 23. May 1945 of the allied ones arrests and as a witness in the Nürnberger processes heard. In July 1947 it appeared to former undersecretary of state Franz Schlegelberger as a witness for the defense for the accused .
1949 he “was finally accused” during the “William route process so mentioned “even and to 14. April 1949 acquitted. Shortly thereafter, in May 1949, he was accused under Munich arbitration board procedures and as loading classified. The appointment was rejected, the procedure was stopped in January 1952.
1950 it published its memories of its unusual official career under the title undersecretary of state under Ebert, Hindenburg and Hitler.
Meissner, which lived in the years 1919 to 1939 with its family in the palace of the realm president, had certainly large influence on the realm presidents, in particular on Hindenburg. Together with short from Schleicher and some different he operated the separation of the parliamentary system in the years 1929 and 1930 by a civil Präsidialkabinett.
Its role during the appointment of Hitler as the realm chancellor in December 1932/Januar 1933 is controversially discussed by historians in the literature. As a member of the Kamarilla its influence was small as an undersecretary of state by the large proximity to the realm president Paul von Hindenburg surely not: Together with Oskar of Hindenburg and Franz of Papen he organized the negotiations with Hitler to the joggle short from Schleichers and for the appointment of Hitler as the realm chancellor. On the side of the NSDAP the discussions into the ways led by the banker briefly baron von Schröder (a former officer, director/conductor of the gentleman club in also the Papen operated), William Keppler and Joachim of Ribbentrop. Neither Hitler nor Paul von Hindenburg would have gone toward to at the end of of 1932 directly one on the other - the personal dislikes were too large.
he asked 1933 for its parting, this it was however refused. Thereupon it took over above all representative tasks. 1937 he was raised into the rank realm Ministers, its title reads now „boss of the Präsidialkanzlei of the leader and realm chancellor “. Politically its influence was rather insignificant in the LV regime.
- 1919 the realm condition the new realm public law for the practical use/dargest. by Otto Meissner/Berlin/Hobbing 1919
- 1921 the new public law of the realm and its countries/Otto Meissner/Berlin/Reimar Hobbing 1921
- 1922 sketch of the condition and administration of the realm and Prussia together with draw. D. Authorities and. their field of duties/Otto Meissner/Berlin/F. Vahlen 1922
- 1923 the public law of the realm and its countries/Systemat. dargest. by Otto Meissner/2. , neubearb. Aufl. /Berlin/Reimar Hobbing 1923
- 1935 state and administrative law in the third realm/Otto Meissner/George dock mountain/Berlin/Verl. f. Social politics, economics and. Statistics 1935
- 1941 German Elsass, German Lorraine a cross section from history, nationality and. Culture/Hrsg. v. Otto Meissner/Berlin/Stoll mountain 1941
- 1941 Elsass and Lorraine German country/Hrsg. v. Otto Meissner/1. - 20. Tsd. /Berlin/O. Stoll mountain 1941 (3. Aufl. Berlin O. Stoll mountain 1942 and 4. Aufl. Berlin Stoll mountain 1943)
- 1950 undersecretary of state under Ebert, Hindenburg Hitler the fate way D. German people of 1918 - 1945, like I it experienced/Otto Meissner/Hamburg/Hoffmann & Campe 1950 (3. Aufl. Hamburg Hoffmann & Campe 1951)
- 1991 Ebert, Hindenburg, Hitler memories of an undersecretary of state 1918 - 1945/Otto Meissner/over work. Neuaufl. Esslingen/Munich/Bechtle 1991 (expenditure for license. the Hoffmann and Campe Verl., Hamburg)
to the role as a state secretary during the Weimar Republic:
- Karl Dietrich fallow one, „the dissolution of the Weimar Republic. A study for the problem of the decay of power in the democracy “, ISBN 3-7610-7216-3
- Heinrich August Winkler, „Weimar. 1918-1933. The history of the first German democracy “, ISBN 3-4064-4037-1
from the time-historical works of its son:
- 1956 Meissner, Hans Otto: Peoples, countries and regents/1. Aufl. /Pouring/Brühl 1956
- 1957 Meissner, Hans Otto/savage, Harry: The seizure of power/Stuttgart/Cotta 1957
- 1976 Meissner, Hans Otto: 30. [Thirtieth] January '33 [thirty-three]/Esslingen/Bechtle 1976
- 1988 Meissner, Hans Otto: Recent years in the realm president palace/Esslingen/Bechtle 1988
- 1990 Meissner, Hans Otto: In stormy time/Esslingen/Bechtle, 1990
to the biography:
Web on the left of
| | * Literature of and over Otto Meissner in the catalog of the DDB
|SHORT DESCRIPTION||director/conductor of the office of the realm president|
|DATE OF BIRTH||13. March 1880|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Bischweiler, Elsass|
|DYING DATE||27. May 1953|