Here longer messages are divided into individual packets and conveyed than datagram or over a before developed virtual connection. Thus the packet switching is a more efficient method of the message switching.
The packet switching becomesgenerally as connectingless service used. In addition, it can offer connectingoriented services as in the circuit switching, if the route, which the packages take, is specified.
“Packs switching” by the English IT-pioneer Donald of Watt of Davies was developed.
Example of the packet switching is that Frame Relay - procedure, which can convey both over a dedicated line and over an line-obtained connection over several virtual channels packages with shortened address information. Around the packet switching in the WAN a package mediator will realize begun.
the packet switching a set of advantages offers advantages in the comparison to the circuit switching.
- Because the individual packages are very small, the waiting periods for all participants remain short and the net is well charged to capacity.
- ThoseResources are distributed “fair” to all participants.
- because of the small packages transfer errors can fast recognized and if necessary. are repaired.
- there is a high reliability: if a switching station precipitates, the data stream is simply returned.
- are not there the transmission routes fixed, can itto overloading at individual switching stations come.
- all participants must use the same network minutes.
- no constant range can be guaranteed and it can to large fluctuations come.