Table of contents
Paul Hindemith comes as a son of a worker family into Hanauto the world. He spends his early childhood in Rodenbach (with Hanau). Of the 3. to 6. Lebensjahr lives Paul Hindemith with its grandparents Hindemith in Naumburg at the Queis in Schlesien. In the year 1900 the family pulls after Mühlheim on the Main, where Hindemith completes its basic school timeand his first playing the violin instruction receives.it pulls 1905 with its family to Frankfurt/Main; there it terminates the elementary school at the age of 14 years.
The family roots lie in Schlesien. It comes of to an old-established schlesischen family of buyers and craftsmen from the circles Jauer and Lauban. Its father Rudolf was born 1870 in the schlesischen Naumburg at the Queis. It left its homeland as a young man and settled around 1890 in Hanau, where it worked as Anstreicher. The father left its three children, to the 1895 born Paul,the 1898 born sister Antonie (tonuses) and the 1900 born brother Rudolf since earliest childhood informs in music. It gave them the training, which had remained refused despite musical assessment for it. Rudolf Hindemith seized the occupation of the conductor and composer later likewise, stood however inShade of his famous brother Paul.
childhood and competition of two brothers
as children were the two high-musical brothers Paul and Rudolf (1900-1974) the sign of the family; in their youth they began,to make music also professionally together: In the Amar quartet, one of the prominent groups in the “new music “- scene of the twenties. The younger Rudolf (cello) stepped out however soon, because it saw itself neglected behind Paul often, changed in the category of blowing music and Jazz and remained contrary to Paul as a conductor in Germany.
Paul learned however since that 9. Lebensjahr violin. After a recommendation of its Violinlehrers it visited the conservatoire starting from 1908. Apart from perfection in violin it received alsocomposer training.
From 1915 to 1923 that held the place of the concert master at the Frankfurt opera stage , and played besides in various orchestras the viola. 1924 he married the musician and daughter of the Kapellmeisters Frankfurt opera orchestras of the Gertrud of gang castle.
The citizens of Berlin universityfor music Hindemith appointed 1927 as the teacher for composition. In the meantime several of its works were uraufgeführt with the Donaueschinger chamber music days. As there 1921 Hindemiths 2. Caper quartet Opus 16 is uraufgeführt, brings it with hardly thirty years the call as most influential and most respected a modern musician Europas. It led the chamber music days in the years 1923 to 1930 together with Heinrich Burkard and made Joseph Haas artistically and it one of the most important forums of new music. Since this time Hindemith was one the most important, in addition, most disputed direction-wise contemporary music inGermany.
unusual music - and finally emigration
) sound today rau and unusual for example many of its choir works and songs until and are - approximately for singer boys - an interesting challenge. Also the text materials, under which beside Luther many Christian poets are, selected by him, excite refusal in the ascending national socialism.
Of the NSDAP its work is more and more obstructed. Adolf Hitler had itself already 1929 overthe fifth picture of the opera new from the day excited. Parts of its works are removed under the verdict of the “culture bolshevism “or as” degenerate art “from the programs. Already 1934 receives its works a transmission prohibition in the German broadcast. Realm propaganda Minister Joseph Goebbels designated itin the same year publicly as atonalen Geräuschemacher. William Furtwängler draws the attention of 1934 in journalistic way to the situation Hindemiths, however only Hohn harvests from Goebbels.
in the year after goes to Hindemith under protest of his students intoTurkey, after it could be given time off from its place. Starting from 1936 the performance of its works is forbidden, what causes it to it, its position 1937 to well-informed. High point of the confrontation with the LV system was 1938 the exhibition degenerate music of the national socialists. Therein becameexpressly to the Jewish descent of its wife referred Gertrud.
1938 goes it and its wife into the exile, first into Switzerland until 1940. The married couple leaves the country 1940 again, in order to take in the USA exile. They settle themselves in new Haven (Connecticut), on, where Hindemith takes up a training activity at the University of Yale, where he teaches until 1953. it receives the American nationality to 1946.
Already 1950 accepted Hindemith the free University of Berlin , in addition it became honour member of the Viennese concert hall company. 1953 it settled again back into Switzerland and lived in its “mansion La chance” in Blonay in the district Vevey at the Geneva lake. Alternating with Yale Hindemith teaches starting from 1951 also in Zurich, where a chair for him was furnished. 1957 it terminated its training activity and went then its own musical way as composer and a conductor. He dedicated himself more to directing andwent on tours to Asia and the USA. 1962 he receives the Balzan price for music. 1963 die Paul Hindemith in a hospital in Frankfurt/Main at a pancreas inflammation.
compositions (temporally arranged)
- of 1917 three singing for Sopran and orchestra, OI. 9 (is considered as high point of its juvenilia)
- 1921 in the fight with that mountains (film music)
- 1921 to 1926 premieres of its compositions
- caper quartet, OI. 22,
- chamber music No. 1, OI. 24a,
- boy farm servant, OI. 23 No. 2,
- murderer, hope thatMrs., OI. 12 (with texts of Oskar Kokoschka) and
- the Nusch Nuschi, OI. 20 for birmanesische puppets during the Donaueschinger chamber music days.
- approx. 1925 Ouvertuere to the “flying dutchman”, as it plays a bad Kurkapelle in the morning around 7 at the well of the sheet.
- 1926 premiere of the opera Cardillac
- 1926 premiere of its works for mechanical piano Welte Mignon
- 1926 concert music for blowing orchestra, op.41, premiere 1926 in Donaueschingen (1. Konzertante Ouvertüre - 2. Six variations over the song “prince Eugen the noble knight” - 3. March)
- 1930er numerous songs, choir and A-cappella - works,from those some by raue tonality and text choice impact excited (e.g. “Trash novels read ")
- 1931 premiere of the Oratoriums the incessant, together with Gottfried Benn
- 1934 premiere of the Symphonie Mathis of the painters over the fate Matthias's of Green forest under William Furtwängler in Berlin
- 1936 emergence thatthree Sonaten for piano
- 1936 - 1955 ever one Sonate for each usual orchestral instrument and piano, most between 1936 and 1942
- 1938 premiere of the opera Mathis of the painters in Zurich
- 1942 emergence of the joint collection “Ludus Tonalis” for piano
- 1943 Sinfoni metamorphosis for orchestras after C.M. of weber
- 1946 premiere of the Oratoriums as Flieder me recently in the garden blüht' - a Requiem those, which we love (English. When Lilacs load into the Dooryard Bloom'd - A Requiem for Those incoming goods Love) after a text of roll Whitman
- 1947 Apparebitrepentina this for mixed choir and Blechbläser
- 1951 Symphony in B-flat for Concert volume (Moderately nearly, with vigor - Andantino grazioso - Fugue, broad)
- 1957 completion of the opera the harmony of the world over living and work of the Johannes Kepler
- Instruction in the clay/tone set
- I. Theoretical part. Mainz: Bulkhead, (C) 1937
- II. Exercise book for the zweistimmigen sentence. Mainz: Bulkhead, (C) 1939
- III. Exercise book for the dreistimmigen sentence. Mainz: Bulkhead, (C) 1970
- tasks for harmony pupil (Traditional Harmony). Mainz: Bulkhead, (C) 1949
- A Composer´s World. [Original version to composerin his world]
- composer in its world: Widths and borders. Zurich: Atlantis music book, 1994. To ISBN 3-254-00191-5
- Paul Hindemith society in Berlin registered association.
- German composers of classical music Rudolf
- Hindemith [
Web on the left of
|Wikiquote: Paul Hindemith - quotations|
|| * Literature of and over Paul Hindemith in the catalog of the DDB
- Hindemith donation, - Institut, - music center
- Kurzbiografie of Paul Hindemith
- composer and conductor Rudolf Hindemith (brother of P. Hindemith)
|SHORT DESCRIPTION||German composer and musician|
|DATE OF BIRTH||16. November 1895|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Hanau|
|DYING DATE||28. December 1963|