the revised Romanisierung of the Korean one is since the year 2000 the official transcription for the Korean language in South Korea. It replaces thereby the transcription which is based valid since 1984 on McCune Reischauer. It was developed by the national academy of the Korean language and published by the Ministry for culture and tourism.
The revised Romanisierung does not use diacritical indications with exception of the very economically used hyphen. Reason for reduction of the special characters was it to facilitate the expenditure and input at the PC.
Table of contents
in the Transkription become partially. also simple vowels with several letters shown.
simple ones of vowels
- ㅢ as ui one transliterates, even if it is spoken like i.
- If long and short vowels are not differentiated in the Transkription, as in Han geul.
to consonant the revised Romanisierung as the McCune Reischauer Transkription on the Korean standard discussion. It is to be derived frequently not directly from the typeface. That concerns above all the Transkription of the consonants.
deviating ways of writing the letters
- ㄱ, ㄷ and ㅂ become d/t tt as g, D and/or. b transliterates, if they stand before a vowel; they become as k, t and/or. p transliterates, if a further consonant follows or if they stand at the word ending. Examples:
|Gumi||Yeongdong||Baegam||Okcheon||Hapdeok||main header eop|
- some consonants are transliterated deviating from the fundamental pattern in accordance with their actual discussion at the syllable end. Examples:
| Wolgot |
(not “Wolgo j “)
| beotkkot |
(not “beo j kko CH “)
- the letter ㄹ is transliterated as r, if a vowel follows; if a consonant follows or if it stands at the word ending, it is transliterated as l. The letter sequence ㄹㄹ is transliterated as ll. Examples:
|Guri||Seorak||Chilgok||Imsil||Ulleung||main header eop|
- consonant assimilations are shown in the transcription after the discussion, not after the typeface in Han geul. Examples:
| Baengma |
(not “Bae k mA ")
| Sinmunno |
(not “Sinmun r o ")
| Jongno |
(not “Jong r o ")
| Wangsimni |
(not “Wangsi p never ")
| Byeollae |
(not “Byeol n ae ")
| Silla |
(not “Sin r A ")
- discussion „of the epenthetischen ㄴ and in such a way specified ㄹ “are shown in the Transkription. Examples:
| yeoul (not |
“hectar ky eoul ") aluminium l
| yak (not |
- the letters ㄷ or ㅌ before i, become accordingly they stand for slope n the discussion as j and/or. CH transliterates. Examples:
| haedoji |
(not “haedo D i ")
- if the letters ㄱ, ㄷ, ㅂ or ㅈ the letter ㅎ precedes or follows, becomes it as k, t, p and/or. CH transliterates and h precipitates. Examples:
| joko |
(not “jo Hg o ")
- the h does not fall out in nouns, in which ㅎ after ㄱ, ㄷ or ㅂ stands. Examples:
| Muk h o |
| Jip h yeonjeon |
- with compound morphemes becomes the strained and/or. glottalisierte discussion by consonants also in the Transkription not shown, but after Han geul - way of writing transliterates. Examples:
table to deviating ways of writing
in this table are simplified represented the ways of writing of the consonant assimilations. The Transkription results from the consonant at the syllable end plus consonant at the beginning of the following syllable.
|Final consonant||initial at the beginning of the next syllable|
|ㄱ||k||g||kg||ng n||kd||ngn||ng m||KB||ks||kj||kch||kk||kt||kp||kh/k|
|ㄴ||n||n||ng||nn||lp||l l/n n||Nm||nb||LV||nj||nch||numerical control||NT||NP||nh|
|ㄹ||l||r||lg||l l||ld||ll||lm||lb||LS||lj||lch||process card||lt||LP||LH|
|ㅂ||p||b||pg||m n||pd||mn||m m||pb||HP||pj||pch||PC||pt||pp||pH p|
around the syllable borders Han geul - ways of writing to indicate, a hyphen can be used. Examples:
|are largely written||to June course|
work on] capitalization name. Examples:
Korean family names are written with a gap between family and first name. In principle the two syllables of a first name are not to be separated by a hyphen, it can however a hyphen be used. Examples:
| Song Nari |
(or: Song well-ri)
- Assimilation between consonants is not shown in the Transkription by family names:
| Han Boknam |
(or: Han Bok nam;
not “Han Bongnam”)
| Hong Bitna |
(or: Hong bit well;
not: “Hong Bi n well ")
- the Transkription of surnames is still separately to be specified and could from the pattern to deviate.
the designations of administrative units are transliterated as follows: 도 DO, 시 SI, 군 gun, 구 gu, 읍 eup, 면 myeon, 리 ri, 동 dong and 가 ga. They are attached with a hyphen at the place names. Assimilation of consonants before or after the hyphen is not considered in the Transkription. Examples:
|충청북도||제주도||의정부시||양주군||도봉구||신창읍||삼죽면||인왕리||당산동||봉천 1 동||종로 2 가||퇴계로 3 가|
|Chungcheongbuk DO||Jeju DO||Uijeongbu SI||Yangju gun||Dobong gu||Sinchang eup||Samjuk myeon||Inwang ri||Dangsan dong||Bongcheon 1-dong||Jongno 2-ga||Toegyero 3-ga|
the designations of geographical formations and cultural monuments etc. can be written without hyphen, together. Examples:
conventional ways of writing
names such as family names and company names may be written as before the introduction of the revised Romanisierung.
fundamental is not possible it to judge from the revised Romanisierung clearly the way of writing in Han geul. Where this is desired, as for instance in scientific articles, a modified Transkriptionsmethode is used, in the letter for letter in accordance with Han geul - way of writing is transliteriert, without consideration for the discussion. Examples:
|jib||jip||bake||gabs||buskkoch||meogneun||doglib||munli||mul yeos||gud i||johda||gagog||jolangmal||eobs eoss seubnida|
differences to McCune Reischauer
ㅓ and ㅡ with two vowel letters are written: EO and European Union. In McCune Reischauer they are written with ŏ and ŭ. These indications belong not to the standard character set and can be easily confounded because of their similarity. However also the new transcription is straight for Germans misleading, because European Union is expressed not as for example as in German you, but is an individual sound, which opens far away like an open o as in is spoken. Also EO is a sound and about like the o in open is expressed.
ㅝ as where one writes and one writes ㅢ as ui.
Aspirierte consonants (ㅋ, ㅌ, ㅍ, ㅊ) do not have an apostrophe (k, t, p, and CH) as in McCune Reischauer. Their unaspirierten counterparts (ㄱ, ㄷ, ㅂ, ㅈ) are written like be correctful English sounds (g, D, b, and j). At the end of a word they are written t , and p however as k , if they are expressed in such a way. Was omitted thus compared with McCune Reischauer the sound change of the consonants in the word beginning: Instead of “Pusan” one writes now” Busan “and “Kimch'i” becomes” Gimchi “.
ㅅ always as s or t one writes, never as a sports club.
ㄹ r before a vowel is, l before consonants or at the end of a word. Double ㄹ is always ll
the hyphen can be used, in order to define syllables, z. B. jeong eum instead of jeon geum.
The hyphen is optional in family names.
The transcription of family names is not touched. Lee (이) would be Yi in correct McCune Reischauer - Transkription.
on the left of
- The Revised Romanization OF Korean (on English)