Swiss federal state library
It has the legal order, all publications, which appear in Switzerland, by Swiss and Swiss to be written or Switzerland and its inhabitants to the topic have,to collect to open to receive and mediate. Thus the Swiss federal state library is the first approach place for Helvetica. Since 1992 this no longer only printed works, but also other storage mediums concern. The Swiss federal state library is an institutionthe federal office for culture.
Already at present that Helveti republic around 1800 a project for a Swiss national library was sketched, could not not be realized however. 1894 approved then the condition advice and the national council the federal resolution over the establishment of a Swiss federal state library. 1895 took up these their activity. Those1900 open check-out counter are free for all users.
The first location was a Vierzimmerwohnung without electrical lighting and without telephone connection at the Christoffelgasse 7 in Berne. 1899 took place the removal into the building of federal archives and 1931 into thatfrom 1929 to 1931 among the architects Oeschger, buyer and Hostettler established today's buildings at the Hallwylstrasse 15 in Bernese the church field accomodation. In this building also Swiss literature archives are accommodated.
- and national council the establishment of one decided chronology 1894Swiss national library.
- 1895 take the Swiss federal state library their activity on in a Vierzimmerwohnung in the center of Berne.
- the removal makes 1899 possible into the new premises to open the collections for the public.
- 1901 appear for the first time „the bibliographic bulletin of Switzerland “, whichby the Swiss federal state library due to its new acquisitions one gives change.
- 1915 meet the Swiss federal state library with Swiss publishers a convention. With this convention you assure the publishers free of charge a copy of each shifted title.
- 1928 become the Swiss union catalogin the life called.
- 1931 draw the Swiss federal state library into its current building at the Hallwylstrasse 15 in Berne.
- 1991 inauguration of Swiss literature archives created on suggestion of Friedrich Duerrenmatt.
- 1993 start-up first, with the library software of VTLS informatisiertenelectronic catalog.
- is publicly accessible to 1994 the automated catalog Helveticat.
- 1995 take part the Swiss federal state library in the establishment of MEMORIAV, the association for the preservation of the audiovisual cultural property of Switzerland.
- 2001 refer the library after final construction work again theirthe importantly reconditioned and increased premises.