Sigismund I. (Poland)
Sigismund I. the son of Kasimir was IV. and Elizabeth ofHaving castle. It followed its brothers Johann Albrecht and Alexander after the Polish throne. Its oldest brother Vladislav prevailed as a king of Böhmen and Hungary.
His nut/mother Elizabeth was a granddaughter of the Roman-German emperor Sigismund of Luxembourg.
Underthe rule of Sigismund I. achieves Poland its largest authority. However the powers relating to domestic affairs of the king were strongly reduced, since on Reichstag had been strengthened von Radom the rights of the Szlachta („Nihil Novi “)
around the threat thatand the southern borders by the Osmani realm to repel, Sigismund with its brother Vladislav closed eastern borders by the large principality Moscow on the Viennese prince day (1515 ) a friendship alliance with the Roman-German emperor Maximilian I..
After arguments for many decadeswith the German medal recognized the high master, its nephew Albrecht of Brandenburg Prussia, 1525 the leaning sovereignty of the Polish crown on. Albrecht became the first duke of Prussia.
A large aid in Sigismunds fight against the Tartaren from that Khanat of the Krim was also mentioned the Schlesier, Bernhard von Prittwitz, “terror Tartarorum “, late star east of bar. Because of the fact that Prittwitz for its extremely successful employment the office of the star east (starting from 1540) andlarge Ländereien (starting from 1538) received, although he was a “foreigner”, said one Sigismunds wife queen Bona a Liebesverhältnis with Prittwitz' father after.
Its son Sigismund August became 1529, still lifetimes of the father, from the Sejm to the large prince ofLithuania and König of Poland selected, therefore the surname agitates „the old person “for Sigismund I.
By its second wife the ideas of the Renaissance spread in Poland. Science and culture flowered up. The queen Bona is today unforgotten untilremained.
- Isabella (18. January 1519 - 15. September 1559); married since 1539 with the Hungarian king Johann Zápolya
- Sigismund August (1520 - 1572); Large prince by Lithuania, König of Poland
- Sophia (13. July 1522 - 28. May 1575); married since 22. February 1556 with Heinrich II., duke of Braunschweig Wolfenbüttel
- Anna (1523 - 1596); married since 1576with the Polish king Stephan Báthory
- Katharina (1526 - 1583); married since 1562 with the Swedish king Johann III.. Its son Sigismund governed later the country 45 years than choice king.
|list of the dukes and kingsof Poland|| successor|
|ALTERNATIVE NAME||Sigismund the old person|
|SHORT DESCRIPTION||of fifth rulers of the Litaui house of the Jagiellonen|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1467|
|PLACE OF BIRTH|