State library to Berlin
the state State of to Berlin (former Prussian state library) is a mechanism of the donation Prussian culture possession, one throughFederal law established legally responsible donation of the public right with seat in Berlin. At present the library has an existence of approximately 10 million volumes and is thus the largest universal library of Germany.
Table of contents
the state library to Berlin 1661 became later as Churfürstliche library Cölln to the Spree, “royal library Berlin” (from 1701 to 1918) in Berlin based. After that 1. World war was renamed it into “Prussian state library” and 1954 by the GDR into German state library. As counterpart the state library became on western side with the existence of the Prussian state library paged out in the westPrussian culture possession at the today's cultural forum Berlin based. After the reunification both houses became 1.1.1992 under the name state library combined into Berlin in working group of the donation Prussian culture possession. The Prussian state library took substantial up to the establishment of the German libraryGave up to a national library truely.
- see also: Old library
1780 finished buildings is on the west side of the Bebelplatzes. It was originally the royal library comprehensive over 150.000 volumes. Thatlargest part of the existence appears today in the state library under the lime trees.
At the road under that One built for lime trees convenient buildings after the plans by George Christian Unger. These plans was present a plan of the Austrian architect Joseph Emanuel Fischer von Erlach , why the old person library reminds strongly at the Michaelertrakt of the Viennese yard castle (1889).
Todayaccommodates the “bureau” the legal faculty of the Humboldt university Berlin.
- under the lime trees (house 1): Historical research library (literature until 1955). - The building under the lime trees became from 1903 to 1914 as royal library afterernst von Ihne to the drafts of the architect and master of building of yards establishes.
- Potsdamer road (house 2) at the cultural forum Berlin: Lend - and information library (literature starting from 1956). - The building at the Potsdamer road is part cultural forum Berlin and became of 1967 to 1978 as state State of Prussian culture possession after plans of the architect Hans Scharoun establish. After Scharouns death in the year 1972 was completed the building by his pupil Edgar Wisniewski. The space composition of the building with its impressing read landscape becomes very goodassumed and of students strongly frequents. Parts of Wim of Wenders price-crowned film sky over Berlin were turned here. Since the reunification the daily number of visitors rose like an explosion. The current construction work is necessary in order to adapt the air conditioning system to the new requirements.
- 1842-1873 George Heinrich Pertz
- 1873-1884 Karl smelling pool of broadcasting corporations Lepsius
- 1886-1905 August Wilmanns
- 1905-1921 Adolf of Harnack
- 1921-1925 Fritz Milkau
- 1925-1945 Hugo Andres Krüss
- 1946-1950 Rudolf peak (joggle for political reasons)
- 1950-1976 refuge Kunze
- 1977-1988 Friedhilde ruffle
- 1989-1991 Dieter Schmidmaier
- 1948-1961 Martin Cremer
- 1963-1972 Ludwig Borngässer
- 1972-1987 corner-hard Vesper
- 1987-1995 smelling pool of broadcasting corporations Landwehrmeyer
- 1995-2002 Antonius of misery (retirement)
- 2002-2003 Graham Jefcoate (resignation)
- since 2004 Barbara cutter Kempf
existence and tasks
- of special assembly areas (SSG): Jurisprudence, Orientalistik, east - and Southeast Asia, Slawi languages and literature, publications to cartography, foreign newspapers, parliament writings, topographic maps.
- MartinHollender (talk.): Speeches held on the occasion of the solemn office introduction of Barbara cutter Kempf to the office of the general directress of the state library to Berlin Prussian culture possession to 17. February 2004, Berlin: State library, 2004 ISBN 3-88053-110-2
- Werner Schochow: Book fates. The misalignment history of the Prussian state library. Paging,Destruction, alienation, feedback. Represented from the sources, Berlin [among other things]: de Gruyter, 2003 ISBN 3-11-017764-1 review of the citizens of Berlin newspaper
- Peter Jörg Becker; Tilo Brandis: State library to Berlin, Prussian culture possession, old-German handwriting, culture donation D. Countries [among other things] 1995
- Ralph Breslau: Shifted,verschollen, destroyed… . the fate in 2. World war of paged out existence of the Prussian state library. State library to Berlin. 1995 ISBN 3-88053-060-2
- Barbara cutter Kempf: 25 years Scharoun building. 25 years state library at the Potsdamer road. Berlin: State library to Berlin, 2004
- walter Ederer/Werner Schochow (Hrsg.): 325 years state library in Berlin, the house and its people (book and exhibition catalog), 1986. 4°. 206 sides, 228 illustrations, kartoniert, ISBN 3-88226-275-3 (can be acquired for 5 euro in the SBB)
Web on the left of
- further literature in selection
- digitized clay/tone documents for the history of the state State of
- sources for the building history of the Ihne building (house 1)
- further mechanisms at the cultural forum, current Veranstaltungstipps and a 360Grad-Panoramabegehung
coordinates: 52° 30 ′ 23 " n. Break, 13° 22 ′ 13 " o. L.