Stanley Kubrick (* 26. July 1928 in New York town center; † 7. March 1999 in Childwickbury Manor with London) was an US-American director, producer and a film script author. It is considered as one of the best film directors of the 20. Century. Its films are praised particularly for their deep intellectual symbolism and their technical perfection. As a director it was both famous and notorious to perfect each scene in the smallest detail and usually the actorsto lead to to their psychological and physical borders. The main topics of its films are the Sinnlosigkeit of intelligent acting and the failure of the humanity by the struggle of the Protagonisten with its dark, internal forces. Dialectic between property and bad pullsitself by its entire work.
Table of contents
beginnings and break-through
Kubrick began its career as a photographer. After it first amateur photos to the New Yorker Look - magazine had sold, it there finally worked also as firm employees. A photo history over a Boxer,which he wrote, introduced him more deeply to the treated subject.
As a photographer it was much with investigativer reporting trusts; accordingly he produced 1951 its first documentary film Day OF the Fight, one at that time attention exciting, although only 16 minuteslong study of individual achievements in the Boxring. Motivated by the success and the acknowledgment, which by the Erstwerk had come to it, it turned afterwards the documentation film Flying Padre and the little successful trade union publicity film The Seafarers.
Its first, predominantly outprivate cashes financed features Fear and the Irish and killer' s Kiss however already drew the attention Hollywoods on itself. Film connoisseurs became it with the classical film noir The Killing a term, before with way to the fame (with Kirk Douglas in thatMain role) the final break-through succeeded. Its typical technology developed in these films: long attitudes, a stress of the face expressions and a cold, reserved atmosphere, which the tenderness and humanity of the acting figures place only. The passionierte chess player Kubrick planned afterown instructions many films and the acting figures similar to the conflicts and movements on a chessboard.
Kirk Douglas could win Stanley Kubrick for the direction of the monumental film Spartacus, after the original director, Anthony man, after few turning days firedwas. The 32-jährige Kubrick mastered both handling with Hollywood star and the aufwändigen mass scenes outstanding, was however even very dissatisfied, because it had too little influence on film script and production conditions. Kubrick planned, never again oneTo turn film, with which it would not have full control of production from the film script production to the cut. It left the system of Hollywood and remained there up to the end of its life an outstanding one.
retreatto England and the first Kubrick films
as well as its third wife Christiane, which it with the turning work to way to the fame know had learned, and which to three children it pulled into the early 1960ern to England. It left itselffirst in the proximity down, later he bought the messuage Childwickbury Manor in the District pc. to that of Elstree Studios with London. Albans, where it could furnish studio and cut areas in the former stables. To press and Hollywood he applied there as extremewithdrawn living, however it said closer acquaintance that he spent the all-largest part of his time in the environment of family, friends and acquaintance.
Its first film turned in England was Lolita. Kubrick worked closely with the author of the novel, Vladimir Nabokov, together, to compile around a film script with that those, when scandal book rezipierte action could be filmed, then without it world-wide on the index landed. With the work to Lolita the director discovered the actor Peter Sellers. It inquired whether these in his next film Dr. Strangely or: How I learned, the bomb to dear not equivalent four roles to take over could. Sellers assured, played however „only “three roles in this film.
Dr. Strangely -as various other Kubrick films also - is regarded with many as one of the greatest films of all times. The high risk to specify the strain of the cold war as black and absurd comedy disbursed itself finally. Likewise its next became famousboth films:2001: Odyssey in space and clockwork orange. All three films provoked violent public controversies with their appearance and in the film science are still discussed, both on the basis the topics and the action and in themcontained symbolism.
The film Barry Lyndon however was a commercial failure. Kubricks impressing, but elitäres enterprise to make and show the life of that time on the basis the biography Barry Lyndons authentically the beauty of baroque painting and music cinematic experiencable, obviously wentat the taste of a broad public past.
the later work
after Barry Lyndon decreased Kubricks production speed. In the last 25 years of its life it produced only three further films. However was its fame and itsurrounded „Mysterium “in such a manner largely that each publication world-wide with large expectations were taken up. More importantly for Kubrick and probably unique in history Hollywoods was that he with each film to a large extent free hand and an almost unrestricted time budget of the largeStudios got.
With Jack Nicholson turned Kubrick the film Shining, an adaptation of the book of Stephen King. In particular King fans were dissatisfied with the film, since it took itself large liberties in relation to the action of the book. King designatedKubricks Shining as the worst filming one of its books. Although enthusiastisch from the contemporary criticism does not rezipiert as as earlier works, it is considered meanwhile as a classical author of the Mystery thrillers. In the Viet Nam war the playing fill Metal Jacket was Kubricks only film,from his view came too late. Despite strictest secrecy briefly information about the topic seeped to the public before the completion of the film. Thereupon olive Stone finished its film Platoon faster than planned and brought it few weeksforwards fill Metal Jacket into the cinemas. (In Germany the cinema premiere lay “fills Metal Jacket” a half after year from “Platoon”.)
To 5. March 1999 submitted the finished cut version of Eyes Wide Shut to Kubrick . Tom Cruise and NIC oils Kidman had turned nearly three years long with Kubrick, in order to represent in this film after Arthur Schnitzlers „dream novella “a pair between erotism and jealousy. To 7. March 1999 deceased the director Stanley Kubrick in the sleep at oneCardiac infarct in its house.
already in the time after fill Metal Jacket planned Kubrick the film A. I. - It had however shifted artificial intelligence, this, since it meant that the technical production possibilities inthe following years would become substantially better. Still during its turning work on Eyes Wide Shut it carried the project for its friend of many years Steven play mountain too, which finally converted the story to Kubricks death and brought 2001 in the cinema. Critics seein the film however above all a play mountain film and criticize in particular the music selection, which would have so never met Kubrick.
Kubrick was concerned again and again with the life history of the French emperor Napoleon I.In its deduction all documents were for realizationa aufwändigen Napoleon film, photo of turning places and even agreements with the Romanian army for the position of Komparsen. Because of the enormous costs this project however never came off. Kubricks brother-in-law and former producer January Harlan arranged and hopes all documents,that Kubricks Napoleon project can be nevertheless still realized.
the eternal perfectionist
Kubrick was famous and notorious to let each scene so often repeat until it was perfect in its eyes. It expected the highest employment ofits team - the actors, the camera men etc. But to most required it itself off.
This will for perfection was it also, which for it it provided that Kubrick committed only one direction error in all its years as a film producer, thathe however only noticed, when it was already too late to correct him. In a scene of the film 2001 - odyssey in space one recognizes an astronaut, who drinks in space floating by means of straw from a bottle. As thatAstronaut its thirst satisfied, sees the Zuseher a liquid the straw back-slides - however straight this might not happen in space, thus in the weightless area. A clear direction error, which remained only also its!
- Day OFthe Fight (1951) (Dokumentarkurzfilm)
- Flying Padre (1951) (Dokumentarkurzfilm)
- The Seafarers (1953) (Dokumentarkurzfilm)
- Fear and the Irish (1953)
- the tiger of New York (1955)
- the calculation did not go on (1956)
- ways to the fame (1957)
- Spartacus (1960)
- Lolita (1962)
- Dr. Strangely or: Like I learned to love the bomb (1963)
- 2001: Odyssey in space (1968)
- clockwork orange (1971)
- Barry Lyndon (1975)
- Shining (1980)
- fill Metal Jacket (1987)
- Eyes Wide Shut (1999)
- Myself did not realize film projects - planned as part of a crime film series into the 1950er years. Film script draft by smelling pool of broadcasting corporations Adam in the deduction.
- Burning secret - film script after the novella of the same name of Stefan branch for MGM approx. 1956 manufactured, however do not realize.
- The 7th Virginia Cavalry Raider (1958) - not terminated film script of Kubrick over a Southern State officer in the American civil war.
- One eyed Jacks (1958) - Kubrick had a contract for this Western with Marlon Brando for direction and film script. Brando realized it however 1961 alone.
- The German lieutenant (1959) - film script for a war film over German paratroopers in the Second World War also Alan Ladd.
- Blue Movie (early 1970er) - for a while Kubrick on a Script or at least a Treatment worked over a film, which acts of a famous film director, whose Reputation was so large that he to it bring a famous actor married couplecould to turn a Pornofilm. The rumors during the turning work to Eyes Wide Shut that Kubrick for it would turn pornographische scenes, led to (false) the acceptance, it now „its Blue Movie “would turn.
- Napoleon (1970) - Kubrick prepared severalYears a biographic film over Napoleon Bonaparte forwards, which would have lasted over three hours, however due to the missing financing never one realized. The preparations had however far prospered so that Kubrick could at any time have made the film.
- Schindler's Ark (1980er)- Sound statements of the author Thomas Keneally is to have asked Kubrick it for the film rights for its book, which should be filmed later by Steven play mountain.
- The perfume (1987?) - Kubrick had a Script on basis of Patrick Süskinds best-sellerswritten. Why the project finally fall one left, is unknown.
- The Foucault pendulum (late 1980er) - Kubrick wanted to bring the novel of the same name of Umberto Eco on the canvas. This was however of the filming of its previous novel the name thatRose disappoints in such a way that it refused itself selling the film rights. Some may have flowed however later into Eyes Wide Shut with.
- Aryan PAPER (at the beginning of the 1990er years) - Kubrick wanted to turn a film over the Holocaust. Basis was thatNovel being time read by Louis Begley. After however Steven play mountain had begun with the turning work to Schindlers list, Kubrick terminated the work on the project.
- A.I. - Artificial Intelligence - since the 1970ern Kubrick a film wanted over artificial ones Intelligence turn. Parallel to Eyes Wide Shut he prepared the film and he its next project would have become, he not immediately after the completion of Eyes Wide Shut would probably not have died. On basis of Kubricks documents Steven play mountain carried outthe film in the year 2001, even if by many (probably not completely to injustice) it is accepted that it would have become with Kubrick perfectly different film.
- 1964 OSCAR nominating for Dr. Strangely or as I learned, thoseBomb to dear
- 1968 OSCAR for 2001: Odyssey in space in the category of special effects
- 1971 OSCAR nominating for clockwork orange
- 1975 OSCAR nominating for Barry Lyndon
- 1987 OSCAR nominating for fill Metal Jacket
- 1997 golden lion for the life's work
- 1999 D.W. Griffith Award forLife's work
to Kubricks life and work developed the German film museum in Frankfurt/Main an exhibition, in which numerous objects from the extensive deduction Kubricks (among other things photos, letters, Originalrequisiten, costumes and film scripts) are presented.This exhibition came into co-operation with Stanley Kubricks widow Christiane Kubrick and its close coworker and brother-in-law of many years January Harlan. To see them were first of 31. March up to 4. July 2004 in Frankfurt/Main. Afterwards of 20. January up to 18. April 2005 in the citizen of Berlin Martin Gropius building and in the Australian center for the Moving image in Melbourne of 23. November 2005 to 29. January 2006. Next station is the Caermersklooster in Gent. There finds the exhibition of 5. October 2006 up to 7. January 2007 instead of.
- Alison Castle: Stanley Kubrick archives bags publishing house, Cologne 2005, ISBN 3-8228-4240-0
- Paul Duncan: Stanley Kubrick: visual poet 1928 - 1999 bagsPublishing house, Cologne 2003, ISBN 3-82281-673-6
- Gerrit Bodde: The music in the films of Stanley Kubrick the other publishing house, Osnabrück 2002, ISBN 3-93623-135-4
- George Seesslen, remote and young: Stanley Kubrick and its films stirring up, Marburg 1999, ISBN 3-89472-312-2
- Andreas Kilb, Rainer red ago: Stanley Kubrick Bertz + Fischer, Berlin 1999, ISBN 3-92947-078-0
- Alexander Walker, Sybil Taylor, Ulrich Ruchti: Stanley Kubrick: Life and work Henschel publishing house, Berlin 1999, ISBN 3-89487-330-2
- Rolf Thissen: Stanley Kubrick: The director as an architect Heyne, Munich 1999, ISBN 3-4531-6495-4
- Kay Kirchmann: Stanley Kubrick: the silence of the pictures Hitzeroth, Marburg 1993, ISBN 3-89398-126-8
Web on the left of
| | * Literature of and over Stanley Kubrick in the catalog of the DDB
- Stanley Kubrick in the Internet Movie DATA cousin
- Web page to the Stanley Kubrick exhibition in Frankfurt/Main
- Archivio Kubrick - photos from the private life (Italian)
- extensive information to Kubrick and its works (English)
- report of Sic Non et: Was Stanley Kubrick a historian?
|SHORT DESCRIPTION||US-American director, producer and film script author|
|DATE OF BIRTH||26. July 1928|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||New York town center, New York, the USA|
|DYING DATE||7. March 1999|
|DYING PLACE||Childwickbury Manor with London, Great Britain|