Originally (in the Greek drama) Strophe marked the change of the direction of motion during a round dance and the singing spoken thereby.
In the medium high-German sealused one for the term <Strophe> the expression daz liet. With the Meistersingern were usual the designations piece , Gebände , Gesätz or verse (verse until today also in the church song). Only in 17. Century led Martin Opitz the term Strophe into thoseGerman art teachings.
The Strophe combines verses or long lines into a metric unit. Equal consequence built Strophen can form a Strophenreihe, a poem or a cycle. In gereimten texts also certain Reimfolgen arranges the building of the Strophen.
- antique Strophenformen
- Germanic-German Strophenformen
- chain: if the long line formed by two short lines marks
- Otfridstrophe, see Otfrid of white castle
- Chevy Chase Strophe
- Nibelungenstrophe and Kürenbergstrophe
- Hildebrandston and Nibelungenvers
- Meistersangstrophe, builds on the Kanzonenstrophe on
- Volkslied strophen (6, 7, 8and to 9-teilige Strophen)
- simple Liedstrophe from four verses
- Roman Strophenformen
- other Strophenformen