|geographical location||of 37°05' N 15°17' O|
|height||of 17 m and. NN|
|surface||204 km ²|
|population density||603 Einwohner/km ²|
|postal zip code||96100|
|ISTAT - code||089017|
|name of the inhabitants||Siracusani|
|protection patron||Santa Lucia|
Table of contents
Syrakus Siziliens is at the southeast coast. Here live 123,093 inhabitants (conditions to 30. April 2005). The town center lies on the island Ortigia (also: Ortygia). Syrakus is capital of the province Syrakus.
The local parts are: Belvedere, Cassibile Fontane Bianche, Isola, Santa Teresa Longarini Scalo and Targia.
Syrakus became as planting city Syrakusai (Greek: Συράκουσαι) 734 v. Chr. by Greek settlers from Korinth based, those the area „Sirako “(D. h. Sump) called. The city state became a larger power in the Mediterranean; Ovid writes even from several ports. Received are from the early time stillthe Apollontempel and the Athens temple (today converted to the cathedral). Between 600 and 400 v. Chr. controlled Syrakus large parts of Siziliens, but did not only defeat 474 v. Chr. the Etrusker in the sea-battle before Cumae. Before Syrakus was located already in full cultural bloom: Dramatist how Aischylos, poets as , Bakchylides and Simonides met in Syrakus. In the peloponnesischen war Syrakus could maintain ground against Athens (427-424, 415-413). Against Karthago the army of Syrakus suffered 406 v. Chr. a defeat.
In the first punischen war Syrakus stood itself before,had served of the assistance of the Pyrrhos, on the side of Rome. In the second punischen war however Syrakus on pages Karthagos fought. To Sicilies Syrakus fell, despite which works Archimedes ', to which here its inventions (Archimedean screw and sentence of the lift) arrive, 212 v. Chr.inRoman hand:Syracusae became Roman province capital.
450 plünderten the Vandalen the city and integrated them later with nearly completely Sicily their realm. 535 the city fell to the eastRoman realm. Under emperors Konstans II.became Syrakus from 661 to 668 even its seat of the government,since the city lay strategically favorably to the safety device of the naval supremacy in the entire Mediterranean opposite the Arabs, but the successor of the emperor cancelled this step again and returned to the Bosphorus . The first conquest attempt of the Arabs 728 failed because of breaking out the plague. 878 the city was finally conquered by Arab troops.
- Gelon of Gela (485 v. Chr.- 478 v. Chr.)
- Hieron I., its brother, (478 v. Chr.- 467/466 v. Chr.)
- Thrasybulos, Hierons son (467/466 v. Chr.- 465 v. Chr.)
- Democracy (465 v. Chr.- 405 v. Chr.)
- Dionysios I. (405 v. Chr.- 367 v. Chr.)
- Dionysios II., its son, (367 v. Chr.- 357 v.Chr.)
- Dion, (357 v. Chr.- 347 v. Chr.)
- Nysaios (350 v. Chr.- 346 v. Chr.)
- Dionysios II., 2. Times, (347 v. Chr.- 344 v. Chr.)
- Timoleon (344 v. Chr.- 337 v. Chr. as Aisymnet)
- oily archie (347 v. Chr.- 317 v. Chr.)
- Agathokles (316 v. Chr.- 289 v. Chr., starting from 304 v. Chr. as a king)
- Iketas (289 v. Chr.- 280 v. Chr.)
- Toinon (280 v. Chr.)
- Sosistratos (280 v. Chr.- 277 v. Chr.)
- epirotische rule (277 v. Chr.- 275 v. Chr.)
- Hieron II. (275 v. Chr.- 215 v. Chr., starting from 260 v. Chr. as a king)
- Hieronymos (215 v. Chr.- 214 v. Chr.)
- Adranodoros (214 v. Chr.-212 v. Chr.) with
- Syrakus taken over of the Roman republic
objects of interest
old part of town
- Piazza Archimedes is the center of the city. The place is surrounded by old palaces; in the west the Banca d'Italia, nodöstlich the place of the Palazzo Montalto
- Apollotempel, partiallyagain developed temple from that 6. Century v.Chr.
- Piazza del Duomo, southwest of the Piazza Archimedes. Here the cathedral stands. The cathedral, Santa Maria depression Colonne, became in 7. Century n. Chr. into a temple of the Athene converted. One sees the columns on the insidetoday still. In 17. Century was increased the cathedral and provided with a baroque front.
- Fonte Aretusa, a source of fresh water directly at the sea. The source is converted and with Papyrusstauden bepflanzt with stones.
- Foro Italico, a beautiful city promenade north the source Fonte Aretusa
- Castello Maniace, one ofEmperor Friedrich II. established Stauferfestung from the year 1239 at the south point of the island Ortigia
to new city
- Foro Siracusano
Parco Archeologico della Neapoli
- Anfiteatro, a Roman Amphitheater from that 3. Century n. Chr. It140 m are long and 119 m broad. West of it the enormous altar Hierons IITH, 198 m long, 22 m broad and 10 m highly.
- Latomia del Paradiso, an antique quarry, was in former times a prison
- ear of the Dionysios, a cave gehauene into the rock, approx.64 m deeply. Here the sound increases strongly, and without echo.
- Teatro Greco, the Greek theatre from that 5. Century with a diameter of 138 m (Athens 100 m).
- Katakomben, Catacombe di San Giovanni
- Latomia dei Cappuccini, antique quarries, also as campsserved
- Museo Nuovo Archeologico, an important archaeological museum of Italy with the Venus Landolina and the coffin of the Valerius
away Euryelos, a fortification from that 4. Century v. Chr. with a beautiful prospect into the country.
sons and daughters of the city
- Archimedes, Greek mathematician, physicist and engineer
- Giuseppe Gibilisco, Italian athlete
- Hieron II. of Syrakus, Greek ruler
- Philistos, Greek historian
- Salvatore Quasimodo, Italian poet and critic
- Simeon of Trier, Pilgerführer
- Elio Vittorini,Author, Italian literature 20. Century
- Hans Peter drug Mueller: Syrakus. To the topography and history of a Greek city, in: High School, supplement 6 (1969).
Web on the left of
coordinates: 37°04' N 15°18' O
Augusta | Avola | Buccheri | Buscemi | Canicattini Bagni | Carlentini | Cassaro | Ferla | Floridia | Francofonte | Lentini | Melilli | Noto | Pachino | Palazzolo Acreide | Portopalo di Capo Passero | Priolo Gargallo | Rosolini | Solarino | Sortino | Syrakus