|coat of arms||map|
|surface:|| 158 km ² |
|inhabitant (2002):|| 12.620 |
|Population density:|| 116 Ew. /km ² |
|postal zip code:|| FO-100 |
(p.o. boxes: FO-110)
It is the political, economical and mental metropolis of the country and offers far more infrastructure, than one would expect in a comparably large Central European town.
The cityin former times often called itself as the smallest capital of the world, which however already with view to Nuuk (Greenland) is not correct. Joke detention calls one Tórshavn also the navel of the world (quotation William Heinesen).
Most well-known slogan of the city is Tann deiliga Havn (the beautifulTórshavn), which for example also a Songtitel is.
Table of contents
name of the city
Tórshavn is usually called by the Färingern only Havn [haːu̯n], thus simply” port “.
Tórshavn is geographically in the center of the archipelago because of the southernEast coast of the largest island Streymoy on 62° northern latitude and 6° 45 of ' western length. The island Nólsoy pre-aged east forms an additional protection for the natural port of the city.
The coherent urbane settlement area of the city covers the places Argir in the south and Hoyvík in the northand had to 31. December 2002 exactly 17,064 inhabitants. The municipality Tórshavn extends over various further neighboring places with approximately 1,400 additional inhabitants (see there).
Northwest the city rises the 347 meters high mountain Húsareyn, southwest the 350 meters high Kirkjubøreyn.
in the year 1075 was mentioned for the first time documentary the city. The Thing on the peninsula Tinganes lain here however probably goes on approx. 850 back. In the year 1000 on the Thing due to the mission acre work of the Sigmundur Brestisson the Christianity was accepted,as the Färingersaga tells.
Starting from 1271 the Norwegian rule with a trade monopoly was established over the Färöer. The commercial agents established themselves in the consequence Tórshavn. Under bishop Erlendur the Munkastovan was established here.
Only with the Rybergs trade developed Tórshavn then end 18. Century to a city in the actual sense.
1866 were formed the municipality Tórshavn and thus the first citizen assembly of thePlace. Since then Havn is official the capital of the Färöer. At the 1. January 1909 got the city the status of a Danish commercial town awarded. 1927 were developed the Tórshavner port and provided with a large quay wall. Since then Tórshavn has a correct sea port.
development of the number of inhabitants of the city (starting from 1975 municipality) Tórshavn (starting from 1989 to 31. December):
economy and traffic
Tórshavn is the most important handels andDriving port of the Färöer and thus an international traffic turntable.
The regional vehicular traffic after Nólsoy and Suðuroy is completed by Strandfaraskip landin. ThatTraffic after Hestur and Sandoy runs in the meantime over the Landweg after Gamlarætt at the west coast, of where the passage shortened to sea substantially.
In Tórshavn, thatextended over a relatively far area, several city bus lines operate themselves. From here drive also cross-country penalty, e.g. by the 2002 Vágartunnel opened to the airport Vágar (running time 1 hour).
In the port is the main location of the färöischen shipyard group Tórshavnar Skipasmiðja.
The city administration ofTórshavn (Web left see box above) offers the following, for visitors relevant, services:
- Monatskarten for the city penalty (passport photo necessarily)
- public library in the pedestrian precinct
- natatorium with the sports center Gundadalur
- youth centre Margarinfabrikkin as meeting place for making music and playing
- gallery Smiðjan for hobby artists, who would like to issue gladly
Objects of interest
- to the Ólavsøka of 28. and 29. July of each yearly is here the most important people celebration of the country. In this time are most visitorsin the city.
- The peninsula Tinganes with their close lanes forms the oldest part of the city.
- On the east bank of the port the old fortress Skansin with their characteristic lighthouse stands.
- the Tórshavner cathedral church was built 1788 and accommodates an altarpiece of 1647.
- In the city centre the pedestrian precinct Niels Finsensgøta is as shop line. There are also the municipal library and some book shops. After 5-10 minutes footpath one reaches the shopping centre SMS, which corresponds to a medium sized shopping centre of a European large city.
- The Tórshavner city park is the only “forest” on thatFäröern.
- Directly at the city park the catholic Marienkirche, a modern Kleinod from stone, glass and copper with glass painting of Tróndur Patursson lies.
- the art museum of the Färöer resident the largest collection färöischer art.
- Somewhat north the house continues to lie of theThe north, it is not only the culture and congress center of the Färöer, but also an architectural highlight.
- Tórsvøllur is the stadium, where the färöische football has its most well-known place.
- Taverns in the form common in Germany are rather rare. Alcohol was until 1992 on thatFäröern strongly reglementiert. Light beer is freely for sale. Stronger beer and other alcoholic beverages are only in the national wine and liquor monopoly actions as well as in restaurants etc. with publican's license available. Classical authors are that are and (at present closed) the Vertshúsið Restorff (own brewery).
- The best restaurants the hotel Føroyar ( something above the city with prominent prospect) are, the steeped in tradition hotel Hafnia in the middle in the center, and the Merlot (all three-star restaurants).
- direct before Tórshavn lies the small auto-free island Nólsoy with their pictorial port. Several times daily a Personenfähre operates there.
- To the west of Tórshavn one (by bus or light moving way) arrives into the culture-historically most meaning place of the Färöer: Kirkjubøur with itsCathedral ruin and the oldest house, which originate from the Wikingerzeit, today a museum.
- Something above the city is the renowned hotel Føroyar because of the old arterial road 10 toward the north over the mountains. From here one enjoys a view over the whole city.
- Use todayDrivers, who want to drive into the north, but the more comfortable road 50 at the west coast over Hvítanes and the tunnel behind Kaldbaksbotnur.
in Tórshavnare born:
- Jónas Broncks, (16. Century) long time of assumed name givers of the Bronx (US state New York)
- Niels Ryberg Finsen (1860-1904), Medizinnobelpreisträger 1903
- Janus Djurhuus (1881-1948), writer
- William Heinesen (1900-1991), writer, commercial artists
- Janus Kamban (1913), sculptors
- Ingálvur av Reyni (1920), painter
- Jákup Pauli Gregoriussen (1932), architect,Commercial artist, author
- Zacharias Heinesen (1936), painter
- Bárður Jákupsson (1943), painter, culture historian
- Annika Hoydal (1945), singer, actress, Komponistin
- Katrin Ottarsdóttir (1957), Filmemacherin
- Hildigunn Eyðfinnsdóttir (1975), actress
- Helgi Ziska (1990), chess player
in the structure
- William Heinesen and John Davidsen: Tann deiliga Havn. Designsof Ingálvur av Reyni. Tórshavn: H.N. Jacobsens Bokahandil, 1953; 2. Edition 1986 (on Färöisch: 78 sides)
- William Heinesen: Fortællinger fra Thorshavn/i udvalg og med forord af Eric Vagn Jensen. Copenhagen: Gyldendal, 1974 (on Danish, 15 narrations, 2. Edition, 267 sides) ISBN 87-00-78402-8.
- Jákup Pauli Gregoriussen: To Tórshavn vár miðstøð og borrow II: tekningar úr Havn. Velbastað: Forlagið í Støplum, 2000. ISBN 99918-914-4-7 (104 S., designs from Tórshavn, under it 85 color designs, 2. Volume. Summaries on Danish and English)
- Jens Pauli A. Nolsøe: Havnar søga 1.Tórshavn: Tórshavnar Býráð, 2004. (Urban history volume 1, 348 sides, fig.) ISBN 99918-62-01-3.
- Jens Pauli A. Nolsøe: Havnar søga 2. Tórshavn: Tórshavnar Býráð, 2004. (Urban history volume 2, 301 sides, fig.) ISBN 99918-62-02-1
Web on the left of
- tourist information Tórshavn
- Faroeislands.dk - Tórshavn (private Website, English)
- Webcam in the port
- bio.fo - cinema program in Tórshavn (usually English with Danish sub-titles, Website on färöisch)
- Svimjihollin.fo - natatorium (färöisch, but clearly with opening times and prices)
|Commons: Tórshavn - pictures, videos and/or audio files|