Tel Aviv Jaffa
Table of contents
meaning of the city
Tel Aviv Jaffa is the second largest city of Israel and the economic center of the country. It has over itoutside a substantial political meaning; until 1949 were it the capital of the country, and as Israel 1980 by the Jerusalemgesetz East Jerusalem annektierte, almost all states shifted their message to Tel Aviv; on international level thereby Tel Aviv becomes as functionalCapital of Israel outstandingly. At the current time (2005) only Costa Rica as well as El Salvador have messages in Jerusalem. The USA have additionally to their message, which is in Tel Aviv, still another constant agency (consulate) in Jerusalem. The moreover one in Tel Aviv also the declaration of independence by the first prime minister David Ben Gurion one read out. The ceremony took however only about a half hour, since Israel was attacked. (Arab-Israeli war of 1948)
the regionfrom Tel Aviv includes some municipalities, which lie in the zersiedelten area up to 14 km far away from the Mediterranean coast, so that the region Tel Aviv (Gusch Dan) - at the same time the largest densely populated area of Israel - about 1.5 million inhabitanthas. Tel Aviv has 371,000 inhabitants (2005) and is thereby the second largest city in Israel.
close Tel Aviv is in Lod with the Ben Gurion airport the largest airport of the country. The city is besides thatcentral junction for the bus connections of the national bus company Egged, which in Tel Aviv their largest bus station (the mehrstöckige building is considered as the largest bus station of the world) maintains. In the range of the city several motorways and railway lines gather .
As large problemthe individual traffic on the idea routes applies after Tel Aviv. Back-up are at the agenda, many zufahrtsstrassen are clogged chronically. This situation is one of the substantial reasons for the fact that in the past years the regional traffic on the rail by thoseIsrael Railways was substantially improved and expanded. Underground - system is for many years in planning.
the city Jaffa is very old, archaeological excavations shows that the place was settled already 3,500 before Christ. The portis considered as older world-wide. In the Middle Ages and still before the establishment of Israel Jaffa was an Arab city. In the Middle Ages Jaffa was both military and in punkto trade very important and kept this meaning also in the modern times.
History Tel Avivs
the settlement in the area of the today's southern Tel Aviv was created into the 1880ern, in order to have thereby a replacement for the rather expensive Arab quarters in Jaffa. The foundation-stone for the city Tel Avivbecame at the 11. April 1909 put. The first settlement was called Ahuzat Bayit there (to its founder families belongs also the family of the later Prime Minister Mo Scharet). It united with two other new quarters, i.e. Nahalat Binyamin and Geula,and the new thing was called, after the title of the Hebrew translation of the utopian novel “old new ground “ by Theodor Herzl, “Tel Aviv”. The name the translator had inferred for his part from the Biblical book Ezechiel, where he a place in Babylonien designates, at which the prophet Ezechiel receives its revealing.
The city grew fast and became the center of urban life in Israel, and is it also today still. More than 4000 houses in the building house style represent a characteristic. Itall were built into the 1930er - year, when many professors and student from Dessau and Berlin fled, in order to escape the National Socialist terror. 1950 was united Tel Aviv and Jaffa to a municipality.
the University of TelAviv (ROPE), the largest university in Israel, lies in the quarter of Ramat Aviv in the north of Tel Aviv.
of sons and daughters of the city
- Abu Nidal, Palestinian terrorist and the founder of the Fatah revolutionary council
- David Avidan,Israeli “poet, painter, film producer, journalist, dramatist
- Hila Bronstein, German Popsängerin
- Dan Chalutz, Israeli general
- Carmela Corren, Israeli hit singer
- Lizzie Doron, Israeli authoress
- Elisa giving bay, Israeli singer
- Uri Geller, Bühnenmagier (Löffelbieger)
- Batya Gur, IsraeliAuthoress
- Ofra Haza, Israeli singer
- Dana international, Israeli Popsängerin
- Menashe Kadishman, Israeli draughtsman, painter and sculptor
- Daniel Kahneman, Israeli-US-American psychologist, Nobelpreisträger
- Sagi Kalev, Israeli Bodybuilder
- Dani Karavan, Israeli sculptor
- Liel Kolet, Israeli singer
- Samy Molcho, one the most well-known Pantomimen 20. Century
- Avi Primor, Israeli diplomat and journalist
- Doron Rabinovici, writer, historian
- Rafael blessed man, Israeli writer
- Adi Shamir, mathematician and Kryptologe
- Koby Shimoni alias Subliminal, Israeli singer (RWSby)
- To Ezer Weizmann, former Israeli president
- Michael Wolffsohn, German historian and politics scientist
- Pinchas Zukerman, Israeli violonist and conductor
- Ephraim gravel-hone, Israeli author for books, plays and radio plays
partnerships between cities
Tel Aviv Jaffa maintains a large numberof partnerships between cities world-wide:
Web on the left of
|Commons: Tel Aviv Yaffo - pictures, videos and/or audio files|
- official homepage von Tel Aviv (English)
- university of Tel Aviv
- hymn on Tel Aviv in the world
- historical representation of the old Jaffa
- Jaffa town center web page of: Norman Ali Bassam Khalaf (in English. & interpret.).
Coordinates: 32° 5 ' 45 " N 34° 48 ' O