a telegram (from grch. tele: far, far and … gramma: Letter, character; literally remote letter) is a by telegraph conveyed message with the help of acoustic, optical or electrical devices. Telegrams became usually by Teleprinter conveys. Telegrams are today still used hardly. There the payment (in former times fee) for a telegram after the number of words arranges itself, a telegram style so mentioned was in-patriated, z. B. one says instead of „I arrives on Friday around 17:00 clock. “: „Arrive Friday17 o'clock “. Telegrams can be brought from the post office to today also on decoration small cards.
The expression telegram (actually linguistically correct: Telegraphem) is 1852 of the American E. P. Smith from smelling ester formed, replaced however only very many later the usual expression „telegraphic telegram “.
The secrecy of letters applies also to telegrams, D. h. the taking up coworker may pass on nor falsify contents neither to others.
A similar style as in the telegram was in-patriated today at the instance Message.
Table of contents
of telegrams were end 19., At the beginning 20. Century necessarily been, there it hardly (private) telephones gave. Besides the standard letter running time amounted to approx. 4 days. Thus telegrams were the only possibility of bringing messages comparatively fast.
The transmission of a telegram took place in three stages:
- Telegram give up: The sender dictated his text to an official in the post office and/or. Office for telegraph either personally or by telephone. Became the receiver address, the actual text as well as a possible motive for decoration (the collecting mains hung out or were printed in the directory)noted. The payment took place either in the office, by phone bill or by Münzeinwurf at the public telephone. (During the bloom time of the telegram use in Germany were postal service, telephone service and telegraph service under a common roof (realm post office and/or. Federal Postal Administration) in summary. Convey therefore the various, equivalent entrances.
- ) to telegram:The noted data became then z. B. by means of teleprinters (with telex comparable devices) to a post office and/or. Office for telegraph in the proximity of the receiver sent.
- Telegram set: In the office for receiver the teleprinter paper strip became into a small card (z. B. the selected decoration small card) adhesive and delivered by (motorcycle) messengers. ThatDeliver took place usually within two hours (at night 4 hours) after the task of the telegram.
Since approx. the German post office AG no more telegrams carries 2003abroad. As reason it is considered that this is too old fashionable. The dispatch of telegrams inland is further possible whereby with the characteristic as means for the transmittal of private greetings is recruited.
By telephone, voice transmission and telex, beginning a little the competition later , led starting from the 20's to a decrease of the use of Telegrammdiensten.To toward end 20. However in particular illustrated or congratulations telegrams of still larger popularity provided with music enjoyed of century. Still 1984 in Austria one million telegrams were altogether approximately sent away.
With the spreading of E-Mail and Mobiltelefonie telegrams lost as fast news service since the 90ernfinally their meaning. Thus the Telekom Austria gave to 24. October 2005 admits, for economic reasons (only clearly less than 10,000 telegrams per month dispatched) this service with 31. To adjust December completely.
Starting from January 2006 however the company Telegramm.at has the Telegrammdienst of Telekom Austria taken over.
to 27. January 2006 adjusted also Western union, once prominently in the Telegrammübermittlung, from lack of appropriate customers this service. 2005 was responsible still 30 employees for this business, however altogether only 20,000 telegrams were dispatched(to the comparison: 1929 was it still 200 million).
in computer science is often used the term data telegram. Although they serve for the transmission of news, it does not concern thereby telegrams in the classical sense. Data telegrams are standardized data records, which conveys digitally and usuallyinto connection with system automations for control purposes to be used.
Web on the left of
- out for telegrams in Austria on heise on-line of the 1. November 2005
- Internet and mobile phones prepare for foreign telegrams from on heise on-line of the 1. September 2000
- press release Swiss post office of 14. January 1999
- telegram service of the Telekom Austria
- http://www.telegramm.de telegram service of the German post office AG