the word telescope sits down together from the Greek words tele (far) and skopein (regard).
In former times the word telescope was equivalent to telescope. Today one - more generally - names instruments, which can collect and bundle electromagnetic waves,in order objects removed far increases to regard to be able. Depending upon the spectrum and/or wavelength coverage of the electromagnetic radiation one differentiates frequency thereby between
- Roentgen telescopes
- optical telescopes (Spiegelteleskope, lens telescopes)
- infrared telescopes
- radio telescopes.
Apart from the space telescopes, are telescopes upthe wavelengths of the astronomical window dependent. As high and dry a location as possible is of advantage thereby.
In order to be able to direct a telescope toward an astronomical object, it is attached on an installing. That applies to all kinds of telescopes,Exceptions are large telescopes for example being certain like the Arecibo observatory or space telescopes. In addition it gives rich telescope accessories (see below), begun from filters up to most different eyepieces.
The term telescope also frequently still further generalized on instruments, thosefor sky observation to be used:
- Neutrino telescopes
- of gravitation wave telescopes
- of telescopes for the observation of cosmic radiation
further the term telescope is used also for accordingly developed optical building groups, which do not serve the view furthermore articles: A telescope can e.g. to the beam effect (increase the jet diameter) of Lasers to be used, in order to be able or its achievement flow density reduce to transfer the jet over larger distances.
Table of contents
during the sun observation by a telescope compellingly a suitable sun filter must be used. Suitable sun filters are objective sun filters, i.e. Sun filters, which filter the light before the telescope. The eyepiece sun filters provided with cheap complete offers are absoluteunsuitable, since they close at the focus of the telescope are and thus become very hot and thus to shatter to be able. If happens, the eye is unprotected exposed to the full sun exposure, which can lead to heavy eye damage (retina burns).
of telescopes for visible light
at present largest optical telescopes with main mirror diameters over 8 m are
- the two saucy - telescopes of the Mauna Kea observatory
- the four telescopes of the Very Large Telescope (VLT) in the Atacama desert in Chile
- The Gemini - telescopes at Hawaii and in
- Chile the Subaru telescope at
- Hawaii the hobby Eberly telescope in
Texas under construction:
- The Southern African Large Telescope (SALT) in South Africa
- the Large Binocular Telescope (LBT) in Arizona. (Completion:
- 2007) The Gran Telescopio Canariason La Palma (completion: 2006)
Larger telescopes such as OWL are in planning.
Telescope on the Mount Palomar
- in California/ the USA was historically important a complete overview of all
for a list of telescopes see also category: Radio telescope.
see also category: To space telescope
- sun filter
- color filter
- screen (optics)
- CCD cameras