Theodor W. Adorno
Table of contents
lives and work
to Adorno characterized itself as after origin andin former times development, artist, musician, but inspires the notion of the inadequacy of naively aesthetic behavior from an urge to the account over the art and its possibility today, in which also objective wanted to announce itself, in view of the social tendency. It was already as young music critics and still as academic teachers of the sociology above all philosopher. As a composer he remained always the pupil of its teacher Alban mountain. The titles social philosopher of an EN, which is frequently lent Adorno, lifts on the society-criticalEmphasis of its Philosophierens off, to which after 1945 the intellectually leading role corresponded in Frankfurt Institut for social research.
early ones of Frankfurt years (1903-21)
parents of the only child Theodor („Teddie “) were the wine wholesale dealer OSCAR Alexander meadow reason (1870-1946), that, Jewish descent,later to the protest anti-mash, and the singer Maria Barbara crossed, geb. Calvelli Adorno (1865-1952), which catholic denomination was. Adorno had been baptized catholic, left themselves however, under which influence of a teacher, lutherisch Evangelist konfirmieren. A closer relationship to the Judentum of its paternal ancestors wonit only under the impression of the Shoah, also probably affects by its late friendship with Gershom Scholem. After the name of its nut/mother he selected later than main name Adorno, while „meadow reason “of the father was shortened too „the W. “. ThatName change, which announced itself long 1933 ago in at that time the mostly used Wiesengrund Adorno, was aesthetically justified and meant by no means a dissociation from the father or the Jewish sound from its names.
In the parents' house also Adornos aunt Agathe, a sister livedits nut/mother, that was likewise singer, but primarily Pianistin. Particularly at the four-handled piano play the boy of small took part on with passion. A remaining fortunately the childhood did the annual „summer-resort “to the family in Amorbach (desert forest).At the emperor William High School in Frankfurt the miracle child knew to shine: Already with 17 years it made the Abitur better as „by all “. Beside the school it (with Bernhard Sekles) had taken private instruction in composition (1923 performance of an own caper quartet)and in many Saturday afternoons together with that 14 years older friend Siegfried Kracauer into a knowledge-sociological reading of Kant's „criticism of the pure reason “deepens. „In the quietest I do not exaggerate, if I legend that I this reading moreowe as my academic teachers. “At the domestic university it occupied philosophy, music science, psychology and sociology starting from 1921. The study completed the earlyripe briskly: At the end of of 1924, not yet of age, he closed it with a thesis over Edmund Husserl „summacum laude “off; the work, which it drew up completely in the spirit of his teacher Hans Cornelius, was pure school philosophy, which gave an idea of still hardly something from Adornos later thinking. In the meantime was it its most important intellectual going away meets: Max Horkheimer and Walter Benjamin.
Viennese Intermezzo (1925-26)
already during the Frankfurt study time published Adorno numerous articles as music critics; in the activity of the music critic he may have temporarily seen even its future occupation. The acquaintance with Alban mountain,its opera „Wozzeck “it 1924 became acquainted with, used it starting from January 1925 to one „structure study “in composition at its effect place in Vienna. Its piano play perfected Adorno at the same time with Eduard attendant, the relevant pianist of the second Viennese school,that uraufgeführt most piano works of beautiful mountain. Also to the two other Protagonisten of the second Viennese Adorno relations initiated school: to Arnold beautiful mountain and Anton of webers. Above all beautiful mountain revolutionary Atonalität, in addition, its twelve-clay/tone compositions playedfor Adorno with the development of its philosophy of the new music a crucial role. Beautiful mountain showed up however impressed by these attempts of socialphilosophical interpretation of its music a little.
Even if Adorno composed always 1945 ago, then were the years overits Viennese stay nevertheless the kompositorisch most intensive. Under its compositions constitute a set of piano song cycles the most extensive, also the weightiest part. Besides it composed orchestral compositions, chamber music for strike ago and A of capella choirs and worked on, later French Volkslieder, in thatEmigration, also pieces of piano of Schumann for small orchestra instruments. 1926 became the two pieces for caper quartet, OI. 2, by the Kolisch quartet uraufgeführt. Alban mountain placed thereupon its pupil as a representative fully valid in law of the second Viennese school the school head beautiful mountain forwards.Only the six of short orchestral compositions, OI. 4, whose appeared score 1968 with Ricordi in Milan, was printed to Adornos lifetimes. The composer Adorno were played 1933 ago occasionally, only for the fifties more frequently. Conductor of rank Gary Bertinis, Michael Gielens, Giuseppe Sinopolis and Hans Zenders sat down for the composer Adorno likewise like walter a Levin with reading all all this. The Pianistin Maria Luisa Lopez Vito has the pieces of piano of Adornos since 1981 graduallywith concerts in Palermo, Bozen, Berlin, Hamburg and at other places uraufgeführt. Early caper quartets were uraufgeführt by the new Leipziger caper quartet, Streichtrios of the free citizen trio search. Under that shaming, has weak echo however, which had granted its compositions during its lifetimesAdorno not little suffered; this disappointment might have contributed to the fact that it reset gradually its ambitions as a composer in favor of a career as academic teachers of philosophy.
From 1928 to 1931 he was a leading editor of the musical avant-garde - magazine „incipient crack“. For its concert and opera criticisms, which Adorno wrote until 1933 further, from early on the philosophical requirement had been characteristic. Adornos Viennese time was at the impression of Karl Kraus, whose readings he visited together with Alban mountain,and, in smaller measure, of George Lukács, whose „theory of the novel had already inspired “the high school graduate, while „history and class consciousness “became important for Adornos Marx Rezeption. With the Prager writers and musicians Hermann grave connected Adorno in this time oneconfine friendship.
middle one of Frankfurt years (1926-33)
back from Vienna, remained Adorno first a further failure not saved: An extensive philosophical-psychological paper „the term of the unconscious one in the transzendentalen soul teachings “, against those his doctor father Hans Cornelius and alsoits assistant max of Horkheimer doubts had, pulled he thereupon at the beginning of of 1928 as Habilitationsschrift back. Also with this work Adorno had taken still the view of the Cornelius' version of the transzendentalen idealism; a point of view, which it however very fast againleft should, in the reason with the last sides of these so-called first Habilitationsschrift had already given up. On them the transition of Adorno philosophy already announced itself to the materialism. It hung, if one wants to call names, with the separation of Corneliusand the connection at walter Benjamin on the closest together.
Three years later Adorno kept „the Venia legendi “with the manuscript „to Kierkegaard - construction of the aesthetic one “, which was accepted by Paul Tillich. The work was in the pressurethe friend Kracauer dedicated, it at the same time a kind parting from Adornos forms for earlier thinking, that, also under Kracauers influence, which was obligated existential philosophy Kierkegaards in stronger measure, than the secondary literature recognized so far. Adornos start lecture as a private lecturer in May1931 acted of „the topicality of philosophy “; Adorno did not mention this work later any longer; from his deduction for the first time printed, it showed up that the text was by program for its later complete work. Therein the term became for the first time expressthe Totalität in question posed, which on its Diktum directed against Hegel is already „the whole the untrue “ahead-interpreted, which should become later a kind „theme song “of Adorno philosophy. Far developed Adorno in the start lecture its conception of philosophywhen „interpretation “, and this long before the Hermeneutik mode became. Also of the positivism as of philosophy Heideggers, Adornos later main opponents, he set off already into „the topicality of philosophy “clearly. To the first training meetings Adornosbelonged a seminar over Benjamins paper „to origin of the German tragedy “.1932 were the essay „for the social situation of the music “its contribution to the first booklet of the magazine for social research, which published Horkheimer; in whose Institut should it however only 1938occur. Because the philosopher Adorno had begun to hardly speak, there he already again to the silence had been condemned: its training activity ended with the winter semester 1933; the Nazi regime extracted in the autumn the power from it to the academic teachings.
betweenBerlin and Oxford (1934-37)
since the late twenties had become increasingly important Berlin for Adorno. Here the Chemikerin Margarete („Gretel “), attained a doctorate, lived Karplus (1902-1993), which had become acquainted with Adorno 1923 in Frankfurt and which he should marry 1937 in London.Benjamin and Ernst Bloch, who was important for it, lived likewise in Berlin, as it Weill, Hanns Eisler and Bertolt here also briefly break met. At the Kroll opera Otto Klemperer of opera plans pursued, in which Adorno found own conceptions realized;for the premiere „of the Wozzeck “it accompanied mountain in December 1925 to Berlin. To a long duration of the Nazi regime it might not have thought at first, it believed, under it „winters “to be able. Some time made itself it hope on the posts futilea music critic with the Vossi newspaper.1934 it emigrierte then nevertheless to England, in order to habilitieren itself in Oxford again. As post office-graduated it operated a detailed study of philosophy Husserls and prepared a larger book concerning it, thathowever only 1956 one terminated and under the title „to the Metakritik of the theory of knowledge “appeared. In order to be able to finance its life in England, Adorno had to return regularly to Germany, since the foreign exchange regulations permitted only the export of small amounts. So could it at least until 1936 with its parents and with its life companion spend summer holidays.1936 appeared in the magazine for social research under alias the work „over jazz “, less an argument with this special music direction, than rather Adornos first Polemik in principleagainst the arising maintenance and culture industry. In this time the intensive briefliche contact with the Horkheimer already living in the American exile flowed into its offer of a existence-securing scientific activity beyond the Atlantiks.
emigrant in the USA(1938-49)
Before the removal Adorno took parting from parents, who could follow 1939 , in Brussels and in San Remo of walter Benjamin, which stayed in Europe and was intensified with that the briefliche exchange of ideas. In New York Adorno becameofficial member of Horkheimers Institut for Social Research, its chief work existed in the line of the musical part of the Princeton radio Research Projects , an early research enterprise called by the Austrian sociologist Paul Lazarsfeld in the life for mass communication. Differences betweenthe radical-positivistic Empiriker Lazarsfeld and the theoretically interested Adorno led to the completion of the research contract, which brought Adornos out most extensive investigation in English language at the same time: studies summarized under the title „Current OF music the “, their reconstruction of Robert Hullot Kentor herausgegebenene of the same nameVolume „of the left writings “represents. The attention Adornos shifted to it on direct co-operation with Horkheimer, which began 1941 with its removal to Los Angeles, where Horkheimer had moved already before.
Here „the dialectic of the clearing-up developed “,the Hauptwerk of the critical theory in this phase. In view of the Shoah, the industrially organized destruction of the European Jews, the two authors tried to develop a historical philosophy of the society after Auschwitz which replace the Marxist-dialectic teachings so far valid for itshould. Which happened in Auschwitz and in the other extermination camps, did not mean for Adorno and Horkheimer less than the collapse of the past culture; also philosophy could not be operated longer as before. The first sets of the book seize thoseDiagnosis of the authors germful together:Since ever has clearing-up in the most comprehensive sense of progressing thinking the goal pursued of taking from humans the fear and of using it as gentlemen. But the completely cleared up earth radiates in the indication triumphalen mischief.ForAdorno was uncertain it since that time „whether philosophy, as activity of the understanding spirit, was at all still at the time. For meditation it seems too late. Which is in its absurdity evident, gegens understanding sträubt itself. “In such a way „the negatives dialectic “kulminiert, Adornosonly after its return written late work, because also in the list of a new categorical imperative, which „Hitler humans has forced upon “: „Your thinking and acting to furnish in such a way that Auschwitz does not repeat itself, nothing something similar happen. “If Adorno itself after 1945no more than composer operated, then he corresponded to his as inexorable as famous word become thereby in own way: „After Auschwitz still another poem to write, is barbarian. “
In the 40's Adorno has „the philosophy of the new music“and, together with Hanns Eisler, „the composition for the film “written, a kind of positive counterpart for the criticism „of the radio music “in „Current OF music “. Likewise he worked, in the context of a research group of the University OF Berkeley and institutes the OFSocial Research, at which study was over „The Authoritarian Personality “also, the part of a large-scale research project over the causes of anti-Semitic prejudices; in Adornos thinking had that 1950 published book the function, the central theory „of the dialectic of the clearing-up “to examine at empirical material. 1950 are Adorno co-author of the sociological study “the authoritarian personality “, that examines the connection of Autoritätsgläubigkeit and fascism.
late ones of Frankfurt years (1949-69)
in the late autumn 1949 I decreased/went back to Germanyand was completely for many years held by the reconstruction of the institute for social research, which Horkheimer and I at that time our entire time dedicated, and by the training activity to the Frankfurt university.So Adorno in one of the few auto+biographic texts, it ofgives it. In the 20 years, which were approaching for it still, as it were apart from its activity as a university teacher for philosophy and sociology and as a director Frankfurt institutes for social research, that work developed, with which it itself into history thatPhilosophy wrote: the books concerning Husserl and Hegel, „the negatives dialectic “and the fragment remained „aesthetic theory “; from the emigration it had bring along „the philosophy of the new music “, a row the music-philosophical writings, like the Monographien over Wagner, mealsand Alban mountain, followed, with those Adorno music philosophy within philosophy only actually inaugurierte. Its were dedicated to the philosophical decoding of seal under the title „notes to the literature “summarized essay.
No system, in that deductive a thought from thatand everything follows others a unit forms with one another, seems Adornos philosophy far away into the single sciences to have withdrawn, turns it nevertheless sociological, psychological, music and literature-scientific questions nearly more frequently than the specifically philosophical. Therein states itselfabsolute Primat of the contentwise one in relation to empty abstractions of traditional philosophy become. Adornos work nevertheless do not represent by any means contributions to the respective special sciences, them undertake on the contrary the immanent criticism of those Arbeitsteiligkeit, which ever more scientific individual in historyDisciplines of philosophy for entrissen and too against each other dipped the headlights subjects in the present science enterprise made. Reflection on the social conditions of the scientific division of labor is that pole of the Adorno philosophy, which it the critic of the positivism in each of its shapes made.
Oneother pole of its thinking Adorno marked gladly by a formulation walter Benjamins, beside Horkheimer it probably next related philosophers, for that-according to the eternal anyhow rather frill at the dress is than an idea. Not of its of theBeing ends or similar abstractions, which had economic situation by the Fundamentalontologie and their modifications, is with Adorno the speech, which recognized its probably sharpest opponent in Heidegger. Adornos thinking turns frequently straight the inconspicuous one, obscure one, the Abhub of the feature world,of the Freud spoke. If one sees off from the writings specializedphilosophical in the closer sense, then the philosophical content of the Adorno texts can be seized only rarely with hands. Mostly is it the analysis of the concrete one, the apparently blind itselfLose in the object encompassed and wants to be opened by the reader by productive Rezeption only. Certainly this is not gotten also then formulas and concepts into the hand, but first hardly more than the instruction to reconstruct the way of the thought,To take work and effort of the term again on itself. The wages of the trouble, which Adornos of texts prepare undoubtedly, exist in the realization that its difficulties are justified in the thing; that indeed in them ofnothing different one is acted than of the thing of the reader, by the individual in the present society.
Adorno held nevertheless to philosophy, to Metaphysik in the sense of the speculation, which does not grant itself in bare being ends, also, after of themHour had struck long. For it the Metaphysik - of which he, like Benjamin of theology, could have said the fact that she was today small and ugly and anyway may not be able to be looked - has itself in the relationship of theThinking to the need, for the material emergency of humans withdrawn. Only as negation, so its theory in negatives dialectic, outlasts this need, it represents in the internal cell of the thought, which its-same is not. The smallest internal-lay courses hasRelevance for the absolute. Into no Platonic idea sky led philosophy with Adorno more, it is only a last asylum both against the ideologies wrongly up-purchased Metaphysiken and against the cult its that the case is.
last act (1967-69)
The last years Adornos colluded by conflicts, into which it was pulled by its students.1966 had come it against the large coalition from CDU/CSU and SPD to the formation of one „Ausserparlamentari opposition “(APO), particularly against ofpulled to the new government planned emergency acts to field. Also Adorno belonged to the decided critics of this politics, against which he took publicly, on a meeting of the action committee „democracy in the state of emergency “position. As to 2. June 1967 with citizens of Berlin a demonstrationagainst the Schah - attendance the student Benno Ohnesorg was shot by a policeman, began themselves to radicalize the APO. Were not least pupils Adornos, those the spirit of the revolt represented and in such a manner „practical consequences “from the critical theory toopull tried. The heads of the Frankfurt school had much sympathy with the student critics, were however not ready, to support whose activities unreservedly. At the universities the society criticism developed for the fundamental refusal of the capitalistic society. Provocative actions should serve „the verkrusteten structures to break open “. Also and straight Adorno became most spectacular thereby the preferential target of a student pseudo activism, which blew up its lectures repeated, when students occupied the podium with exposed chests.The feeling, with a mark as a reactionaryto be attacked, nevertheless something surprising has, wrote Adorno Samuel Beckett. On the other side Adorno and Horkheimer reproaches from right were suspended to belong to the mental authors of the student force.
1969 saw itself forced to Adorno,to adjust its lecture. When in January some students had penetrated into Institut for social research, in order to implement categorically an immediate discussion over the political situation, the directors of institute - Adorno and Ludwig von Friedeburg - called after the police and showedthe Besetzer on. Adorno, which had been always a steadfast opponent of the police and monitoring state, did not suffer few from this break of its self understanding, by which he before Frankfurt regional courts as a witness against Hans Jürgen the Krahl, one of its most talented pupils,one gezerrt. On the day after the court hearing it drove with its wife into the usual summer vacation into Swiss mountains. Insufficiently in Zermatt akklimatisiert, he went immediately with the aerial ropeway into still larger height. „Heart complaints used, thereforeit was brought into a hospital in Visp. There it succumbed to 6. August 1969 against 11.20 o'clock a cardiac infarct. At the 11. September it would have become 66 years old. “ (Stefan Mueller Doohm)
in a ring-back signal of the paedagogue and religion philosopher George Pichtwas to be read: „Set, the spirit would have history after Auschwitz in Germany still another, then the death of Theodor W would have. Adorno work, as if the clock would suddenly stand quietly. “As it actually died, stopped no clock, rather could one drawing a deep breath notices, with which a unirritierbare public took parting from its most important theoretician and inexorable critic.
Adorno was not able to form school at least in the institutional sense „“, although it him to partial high-talented pupilsdid not lack. Its chair for philosophy and sociology was immediately divided after its death and occupied with scientists, who represented rather Adorno opposite positions. Fast also Institut for social research disintegrated and became one at theory almost completelyuninterested, purely empirically aligned Forschungsinstitut, who did not differ from numerous other no more.
The literary work Adornos was collected by his pupil Rolf Tiedemann soon in extensive expenditures: „the collected writings “(1970 FF.) and „the left writings “(1993 FF.), thosein the Frankfurt Suhrkamp publishing house appeared.Heinz Klaus butcher, no Adorno pupil in the closer sense, but him nevertheless closely connected, gave together with the composer Rainer Riehn Adornos „compositions “in 2 volumes in the residents of Munich edition text + criticism out (1981), Maria Luisa Lopez Vito those „of the pieces of piano “(2001).
1985 became of that Hamburg donation the promotion of science and culture „the Theodor W. Adorno archives “in Frankfurt A.M. based, in that the scientific and artistic deduction Adornos with the deduction walterBenjamins to be combined could. Archives were developed from 1985 to 2002 of Rolf Tiedemann and led, also the row „Frankfurt Adorno of sheets “, which Erstdrucke of Adorno texts combined with discussion contributions to its thinking, and which published „dialectic studies “, inthose inaccessible and newer work from the school and/or. the spirit Adornos were published. 2004 became the Benjamin deduction from the Theodor W. Adorno archives again separated and in the archives department of the citizens of Berlin academy of the arts deposits; the Adorno deduction domiziliert in the meantimein Frankfurt Institut for social research.
To Adornos to closer pupil circle, briefly A. 1933 ago Emrich belonged to William. Mautz, Peter von Haselberg; after 1949 Karl Heinz Hague, Rainer Köhne, Hermann Schweppenhäuser, Rolf Tiedemann, Alfred Schmidt, Günther Mensching, Elizabeth among other things steer , Peter Gorsen , Peter Bulthaup , Hans Jürgen Krahl
the question of the topicality of a theory, which refers with reproduction to society conditions of its time, is a difficult. Particularlythis theory after the death of its main participants only slowly and particularly in other directions was developed further. Nevertheless one can state the topicality, although the society substantial developed itself further. It developed into the extremes, thoseAdorno in its texts described. Above all Adornos theses to topics of the past (Auschwitz), moral (a timeless topic) or to the culture industry are examples of it. The latter developed since Adornos death at least the appearance after many more to,which Adorno in their beginnings recognized already at that time.
To represent also the question about a criticism at the theory is Adornos. Of course, as particularly in almost each science, in a as abstract as social philosophy, it does not only giveProponent of this theory. It would not be also in the sense Adornos to place something into the area to be accepted without leaving to the counterarguments likewise area, because it is that in itself already on the method of the dialectic materialism andHegel dialectic founded work Adornos also with these methods further to develop is.
The criticism at Adornos work comes usually just like the critical theory from Marxists. Other critics are for instance Ralf Dahrendorf or Karl Raimund Popper andthe positivists. The Marxists accuse to the critical theoreticians of placing the requirement of representing “the inheritance of the tradition of critical philosophy” running from Hegel over Marx without feeling obligated the Marx practice concept.
After refuge of Mueller “criticism of the critical ones Theory " already represents these to Adorno in many aspects, in which it writes over the Totalität, as automatic system. That seems to have been indeed the intention Adornos, which saw an adjusting system in the society,from that it to flee applied. It was for it existence, but not human being worthy, while Mueller denies decided that such a system exists; rather only individual cases are dazzled in such a manner.
Mueller turns off in his argumentation to the fact that the critical theoryno practical means offers to change the society. Thus he comes to the conclusion that above all Jürgen Habermas, in addition, the other representatives of the Frankfurt school Marx would have falsified.
Not to surveyed Adornos is zwiespältiger influence on thoseWriting language it of the following theoreticians. Because it combined a shining gift of the appropriate formulation and aphoristischen, gnomischen taper with a scholar German 19. Century, which was strongly affected by Hegel (its Prosa had the shining stylist Schopenhauer as well knowna “stone and a Gewürmregen” mentioned); besides the high-well read Adorno had taken up all kinds of Stilunarten of the wilhelminischen Professorendeutschs: grammatically perfectly geschachtelte continuous sets, dialectically jonglierende “however” - constructions, inelastic verb treatment. (Hitting a corner hard Henscheid did that of all members of the Frankfurt school Adorno in oneSentence that its verb associated “longest to retard reserved itself “). Since Adorno on the podium spoke also without manuscript just as ready for printing, he taught weaker imitators bore their listeners.
authoritarian personality, Adorno as a time critic, Adorno over literature, Adorno and the foreign words, processing of the past (Adorno), Adorno and the empirical social research, Neo Gramscianismus, music sociology, Frankfurt one school, critical theory, the raised, aesthetics, Theodor w. - Adorno price, sociology and empirical research
expenditures for book during lifetimes:
- Kierkegaard. Construction of the aesthetic one. Tübingen 1933
- Willi realm, Alban mountain. With mountain own writings and contributions of Theodor meadow reason of Adorno and Ernst Krenek, Vienna, Leipzig,Zurich 1937
- max of Horkheimer and. Theodor W. Adorno, dialectic of the clearing-up. Philosophical fragments. Amsterdam 1947
- philosophy of the new music. Tübingen 1949
- T.W. Adorno, Else Frenkel Brunswik, Daniel J. Levinson, R. Nevitt Sanford, The Authoritarian Personality. New York 1950
- Minima Moralia. Reflections from the damaged life. Berlin, Frankfurt A.M. 1950
- attempt over Wagner. Berlin, Frankfurt A.M. 1952
- prisms. Culture criticism and society. Berlin, Frankfurt A.M. 1955
- to the Metakritik of the theory of knowledge. Studies of Husserl and the phenomenological Antinomien. Stuttgart 1956
- dissonances. Music in the administered world. Goettingen of 1956
- aspects of Hegel philosophy. Berlin, Frankfurt A.M. 1957
- notes to the literature I. Berlin, Frankfurt A.M. 1958
- sound figures. Musical writings I. Berlin, Frankfurt A.M. 1959
- meals.A musical Physiognomie. Frankfurt A.M. 1960
- notes to the literature II. Frankfurt A.M. 1961
- introduction into the music sociology. Twelve theoretical lectures. Frankfurt A.M. 1962
- max of Horkheimer and. Theodor W. Adorno, Sociologica II. Speeches and lectures. Frankfurt A.M.1962
- three studies to Hegel. Frankfurt A.M. 1963
- interferences. Nine critical models. Frankfurt A.M. 1963
- the faithful Korrepetitor. Training writings to musical practice. Frankfurt A.M. 1963
- quasi una fantasia. Musical writings II. Frankfurt A.M. 1963
- of moment musicaux. Newly printed essays 1928-1962. Frankfurt A.M. 1964
- jargon of the actuallyness. To the German ideology. Frankfurt A.M. 1964
- notes to the literature III. Frankfurt A.M. 1965
- negatives dialectic. Frankfurt A.M. 1966
- without example. Parva Aesthetica. Frankfurt A.M. 1967
- Mountain. The master of the smallest transition. Vienna 1968
- Impromptus. Second consequence of newly printed musical essays. Frankfurt A.M. 1968
- six short orchestral compositions OI. 4 <1929>. Milano 1968
- Theodor W. Adorno and. Hanns Eisler, composition for the film.Munich of 1969
- references. Critical models 2. Frankfurt A.M. 1969
expenditures for collecting:
- Collected writings. Hrsg. by Rolf Tiedemann under co-operation of Gretel Adorno, Susan bend Morss and Klaus Schultz. Bde. 1-20 (in 23 Bdn. geb.). 1. Aufl., Frankfurt A.M.1970-80. - [Rev. Expenditure for paperback.] Frankfurt A.M. 1997. - Expenditure for license of the scientific book company, Darmstadt 1998. - [And extended electronic expenditure revised. on CD-ROM:] Digital library 97, Berlin 2003
- left writings. Hrsg. of the Theodor W. Adorno publishing house. Frankfurt A.M. 1993 FF.[So far appeared: 9 Bde.]
- A selection. Hrsg. by Rolf Tiedemann. Büchergilde good mountain, Frankfurt A.M. 1971. - Expenditures for license. the German book federation, Stuttgart 1971
- criticism. Small writings to the society. Hrsg. by Rolf Tiedemann. Frankfurt A.M. 1971
- philosophy and society.Five essays. Selection and epilog Rolf Tiedemann. Stuttgart 1984
- ” whether after Auschwitz still be lived can. “A philosophical reader. Hrsg. by Rolf Tiedemann. Frankfurt A.M. 1997
- processing of the past. Speeches and discussions. Selection and accompanying text by Rolf Tiedemann.Munich 1999, the hearing publishing house. (AUDIO BOOKS. Voices of philosophy.) 5 CD:ISBN 3-89584-730-5; 2 MC: ISBN 3-89584-630-9.
- Compositions. Hrsg. by Heinz Klaus butcher and Rainer Riehn. 2 Bde., Munich 1980
- pieces of piano. Hrsg. by Maria Luisa Lopez Vito,Epilog by Rolf Tiedemann. Munich 2001
important ones posthume individual outputs:
- Aesthetic theory. Hrsg. by Gretel Adorno and Rolf Tiedemann. Frankfurt A.M. 1970; 13. Aufl., 1995.
- Over walter Benjamin. Hrsg. and with notes provide from Rolf Tiedemann. Frankfurt A.M. 1970.- [And extended expenditure revised.:] Frankfurt A.M. 1990.
- Notes to the literature IV. Hrsg. by Rolf Tiedemann. Frankfurt A.M. 1974
- the treasure of the Indian Joe. Singspiel after Marks of Twain. Hrsg. and with an epilog provide from Rolf Tiedemann. Frankfurt A.M.1979
- Beethoven. Philosophy of the music. Fragments and texts. Hrsg. of R.T. (Left writings. Hrsg. of the Theodor W. Adorno archives. Abbott I, Bd. 1.) Frankfurt A.M. 1993. – 2. Aufl., 1994. - [Expenditures for paperback.] Ffm. 2004
- problems of moral philosophy <1963>.Hrsg. by Thomas Schröder. Frankfurt A.M. 1996. (Nachgel. Schr., abbott IV, Bd. 10.)
- Metaphysik. Term and problems <of 1965>. Hrsg. by Rolf Tiedemann. Frankfurt A.M. 1998. (Nachgel. Schr., abbott IV, Bd. 14.)
- To the theory of history and of thatLiberty <1964/65>. Hrsg. by Rolf Tiedemann. Frankfurt A.M. 2001. (Nachgel. Schr., abbott IV, Bd. 13.)
- Ontologie and dialectic <1960/61>. Hrsg. by Rolf Tiedemann. Frankfurt A.M. 2002. (Nachgel. Schr., abbott IV, Bd. 7.)
- Lecture on negatives dialectic. Fragments toLecture 1965/66. Hrsg. by Rolf Tiedemann. Frankfurt A.M. 2003. (Nachgel. Schr., abbott IV, Bd. 16.)
- To a theory of the musical reproduction. Recordings, one draft and two patterns. Hrsg. of Henri Lonitz. Frankfurt A.M. 2001. (Nachgel. Schr., abbott I,Bd. 2.)
- Dream minutes. Hrsg. of Christoph Gödde and Henri Lonitz. Epilog of January Philipp Reemtsma. Frankfurt A.M. 2005.
- Current OF music. Element OF A radio Theory, OD. by Robert Hullot Kentor. Frankfurt A.M. 2006.
- Composition for the film.Text of the edition in volume 15 of the collected writings, examined, corrects and supplements from Johannes C. Gall. With an epilog of Johannes C. Gall and a DVD “Hanns Eislers skirt skin he film music project”, on behalf the international Hanns Eisler society hrsg. ofJohannes C. Gall. Frankfurt A.M. 2006.
- Roger Behrens, growing silent. Over Adorno. Laatzen: Military cock 2004, 1. Edition, ISBN 3-932324-80-3
- Gerhard Schwepppenhäuser, Theodor W. Adorno for introduction, Hamburg: Junius 2003, 4. Edition, ISBN 3885063859
- Susan bend Morss, The OriginOF of negatives Dialectics. Theodor W. Adorno, walter Benjamin, and the Frankfurt institutes. New York, London 1977
- Martin Zenck, art as termless realization. To the art term of the aesthetic theory Theodor W. Adornos. Munich 1977. ISBN 3-7705-1365-7
- Marks of Jimenez, verse une esthétique négative.Adorno et la modernité. Of Paris 1983.ISBN 2-86262-215-X
- Detlev Claussen, Theodor W. Adorno. A last genius. Frankfurt A.M. 2003. ISBN 3100108132
- Detlev Claussen, parting from yesterday. Critical theory today, Bremen 1986
- Detlev Claussen, “after Auschwitz. An essay over thoseTopicality Adornos ", in: Dan servant (Hrsg.), civilization break. Think after Auschwitz, Frankfurt A.M. 1988, S. 54 FF.
- Hermann Schweppenhäuser, “the individual in the age of its liquidation. Over Adornos social Individuationstheorie "; ders., “speculative ones and negative dialectic”, in: Hermann Schweppenhäuser, realising to the wrong time?Collected essays and lectures, Lueneburg 1986, S. 42 FF. and S. 163 FF.ISBN 3-924245-03-5
- Rolf Tiedemann, “term, picture, name. Over Adornos utopia of the realization. “Frankfurt Adorno of sheets II, Munich 1993, S. 92 FF.
- Hermann Schweppenhäuser, “aspects of a enlightenedArt term. “Frankfurt Adorno of sheets II, Munich 1993, S. 112 FF.
- Peter Schünemann, “Paideia. Childhood character with Adorno. “Frankfurt Adorno of sheets II, Munich 1993, S. 129 FF.
- January Philipp Reemtsma, “not cost in the paradox. To the dialectic of the clearing-up. “Frankfurt Adorno of sheets IV,Munich 1995, S. 93 FF.
- Peter Decker, “the methodology of critical sense search - system screen end conceptions Adornos in lights of the philosophical tradition”, 1982.
- Kind of hitting a corner Goebel, “the Hinzutretende. To negatives dialectic. “Frankfurt Adorno of sheets IV, Munich 1995, S. 109 FF.
- Rolf Tiedemann, “present one Vorwelt. To Adornos term Mythi (I). “Frankfurt Adorno of sheets V, Munich 1998, S. 9 FF.
- Karsten Fischer, “game ores self-preservation”. Civilization-theoretical culture criticism with Nietz, Freud, webers and Adorno. Berlin 1999. ISBN 3-05-003464-5
- Heinz Klaus butcher, “with the ears think. Toounite music-philosophical motives with Adorno. “Frankfurt Adorno of sheets VII, Munich 2001, S. 37 FF.
- Robert Hullot Kentor, “the philosophy of the dissonance: Adorno and beautiful mountain. “Frankfurt Adorno of sheets VII, Munich 2001, S. 46 FF.
- René Leibowitz, “the composer Theodor W.Adorno. “Frankfurt Adorno of sheets VII, Munich 2001, S. 55 FF.
- Rolf Tiedemann, “Adorno, philosopher and composer. On occasion its pieces of piano. “Frankfurt Adorno of sheets VII, Munich 2001, S. 63 FF.
- Rolf Tiedemann, “also fool! Also poets! To a Singspiellibretto Adornos. “Frankfurt ones Adorno of sheets VII, Munich 2001, S. 146 FF.
- Ulf Liedke, fragile truth. Theological studies to Adornos Metaphysik. Peppering castle 2002 ISBN 3-429-02504-4
- Stefan Mueller Doohm: Adorno. Frankfurt A.M., 2003
- Matteo Nanni, Auschwitz - Adorno and Nono. Philosophical and music-analytic investigations. Freiburgi.Br. 2004.ISBN 3-7930-9366-2
- Enzo Traverso: A friendship in the exile. Exchange of letters between Adorno and Benjamin. In: jour initiative Berlin (Hg.) fixes: Escape lines of the exile. Münster 2004. ISBN 3-89771-431-0
- Hans Wollschläger: Moment musicaux. Days with TWA. Goettingen 2005 ISBN 3-89244-878-7
- Adorno conference 1983, hrsg. by Ludwig von Friedeburg and Jürgen Habermas, with Beitr. by Alfred Schmidt, Ruediger Bubner, Michael Theunissen among other things, Frankfurt A.M. 1983
- Hamburg Adorno Symposion, hrsg. of Michael Löbig and Gerhard Schweppenhäuser, alsoBeitr. of Hermann Schweppenhäuser, Günther Mensching, Wolfgang Pohrt among other things, Lueneburg 1984. ISBN 3-924245-01-0
- emancipation as reconciliation. To Adornos criticism the “goods exchange” - society and perspectives of the transformation, hrsg. of Iring Fet and Alfred Schmidt, with Beitr. of Jens Becker, AlexDemirovic, Hans Joachim blank among other things, Frankfurt A.M. 2002 ISBN 3-8015-0356-9
- the aliveness of the critical society theory. Documentation of the work meeting from cause 100. Birthday of Theodor W. Adorno, hrsg. by Andreas Gruschka and Ulrich Oevermann, with Beitr. of Hermann Schweppenhäuser,Hans's George baking house, Regina Becker Schmidt among other things Wetzlar 2004 ISBN 3-88178-324-5
- Christoph Demmerling: Adorno - a classical author 20. Century? North first EDT 2005, ISBN 3-8341-0013-7
Web on the left of
|Wikiquote: Theodor W. Adorno - quotations|
- side over Adorno of Suhrkamp
- TheodorW. Adorno research centre Oldenburg
- some texts of the Adorno pupil and sociologist Helmut Dahmer
- text over the Antisemitismus concept with Adorno/Horkheimer
- Enzo Traverso: A friendship in the exile of exchanges of letters between Adorno and Benjamin
|NAME||Adorno, Theodor W.|
|ALTERNATIVE NAME||Theodor Ludwig Wiesengrund Adorno (actually)|
|SHORT DESCRIPTION||German sociologist, philosopher, music scientist and composer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||11. September 1903|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Frankfurt/Main|
|DYING DATE||6. August 1969|
|DYING PLACE||Visp, Switzerland|