Troyes [trwa] is a city in the northeast of France and administrative seat of the Départements Aube (10. Département) in the region Champagne Ardenne. Troyes is located at the Seine. 1999 inhabited 62,612 humans the city. With suburbs the population amounts to 136.000 inhabitants (called C.A.T. for“Communauté de l'Agglomération Troyenne”), and with urban center of dense development on 172.497 inhabitants.
To table of contents
Troyes was the principal place of the celtic tri cashes (Tricasses) and of Romans Augustobona Tricassium mentioned. In 4. Century became the city bishop seat (see: Diocese Troyes); of 451 west the place the battle on the Katalauni fields between Attila and Aetius took place .
In 10. Century was the Troyes center of the county Troyes, those in the possessionthe count house Vermandois was, a line of the Karolinger. Starting from that 12. Century took place in Troyes two of the six fairs , for which the Champagne became famous, and on those goods by the Netherlands (cloth) to Italy (silk, eastern goods) were acted. Underthe count of the Champagne, which had made Troyes their capital, organized yourself also one of the first European money markets.Raschi, one of the most important Jewish scholars of the Middle Ages, wrote the most famous comment in Troyes to the Talmud, which is printed today in the Talmud with.
InTroyes worked in the time as residence of the counts von Champagne the medieval poet Chrétien de Troyes, (about 1140 to 1190), on whom the Parzival - narration around the search for the holy Gral decreases/goes back.
The meaning of the city shrank during the hundred-year of war(1337-1452) - the contract of Troyes of 21. May 1420 on the other hand pointed the meaning out of the city at this time. A further attenuation of the place took place via the misalignment the trade on the sea route. Instead Troyes became in 16. and 17. Century a centerthe textile industry, at the same time the Huguenot, and with it by the abolition of the edict of Nantes 1685 heavily met.
the city lives economically mainly on the tourism, on the local Schmelzhütte as well as on the textile and rubber industry. The moreover one becomes also todaystill viticulture (Champagnertrauben) operated.
objects of interest
- the reorganized old part of town with houses 16.- 18. Century
- the churches of the gothic and the Renaissance, under it:
- The cathedral Saint Pierre et Saint Paul (13.- 17. Century) with a church treasure and glass paintings from that 13.- 16. Century
- the former pin church Saint Urbain, the 1262 of Pope Urban IV. Saint Jean
- (14 was created.- 17. Century)
- Sainte Madeleine (12.- 16. Century) with a Lettner in the Flamboyantstil (1508 - 1516)
- the Renaissancekirche Saint Martin the Vignes (1589- 1610)
- Saint Pantaléon (16. Century) with its baroque front.
- The Musée d'Art modern trend in the bishop palace
- Université de technology de Troyes (UTT). A national technical university was opened the 1994. In the year 2005 it had 1857 students thatEngineering sciences, and 127 professors.
Troyes is the place of birth of:
- Patroclus of Troyes († around 259), holy and martyr
- Petrus Comestor († around 1178), theologian
- Raschi (rabbi Schlomo Jizchak ben, 1040-1105), Talmud kommentator
- Chrétien de Troyes (* around 1140, † about1190), old-French author
- Pierre Pithou (1539 - 1596), lawyer and scholar
- Pierre Mignard (1610 - 1695), painter
- François Girardon (1628 - 1715), sculptors
- Émile Coué (1857 - 1926), the founder of the modern, conscious Autosuggestion.
- Édouard Herriot (1872 - 1957), portion radical, politicians of the third Republic of, three times prime minister
- Félix Gustave Saussier (1828 - 1905), French general and delegate
Web on the left of
coordinates: 48° 17 ′ N, 4° 4 ′ O