University to Cologne
|University to Cologne|
|rector:||Univ. - Professor Dr. rer. nat. Axel Freimuth|
|year of the foundation:||1388-1798 (old person university); 1919 (new University of)|
|courses of studies:||> 150 (z. Time. Conversion to BA/MA)|
|Studying one (WG 2005/06)||48,706 (inclusive Second, guest listener, preparatory course)|
|of it foreign studying:||5.889 (12.1%)|
|graduates:||3.946 (in the academic year 2004; without graduations)|
|graduations||543 (in the academic year 2004)|
|Habilitationen||75 (in the academic year 2004)|
|professors:||508 (of it 70Professor inside; 2004)|
|Wissenschaftl. Coworker:||1.549 and 765 in the clinical center|
|Nichtwissenschaftl. Coworker:||1.462 and 3,736 in the clinical center|
|address of the Rektorats:||Albert US liking US place, 50923 Cologne|
the university to Cologne is one in research and teachings internationally recognized university with that classical fan spectrum of a full university.It ranks among the oldest universities in Europe and is also over 45.000 studying one of the largest universities of Germany.
Table of contents
history and development
the old person university
the university to Cologne became to 21. May 1388 as the fourth university in the holy Roman realm of German nation after the Karl university Prague (1348), the University of Vienna (1365) and the Ruprecht Karl university in Heidelberg (1386) based.The initiative in addition proceeded not as usual usually with the emperor or a prince, but from the advice of the realm city Cologne, which took over also the costs of the training enterprise. The establishment document, quasi permission, became of Pope Urban VI. signed. To 6. January 1389 became thatLecture enterprise taken up. It belonged from the beginning with 700 registered (later approx. 1000) to the largest universities of Europe. It went out out of the “general studies” of the Dominikaner - medal, which had furnished 1248 Albertus Magnus. The university possessed all four at that time usual faculties: “Artes”, theology, medicine andin the jurisprudence it offered the “Roman right” except the church right also still.
In the year 1798 the university was closed by the 1794 Frenchmen engaged in Cologne. Their last selected rector was Ferdinand Franz Wallraf, that for Cologne as a rescuer of many works of art meaninghas. Its collection belongs today to the Wallraf Richartz museum.
the new University of
in the process 19. Century were efforts of the city and its citizens to create a new university failed. Only 1919 succeeded it to convince the Prussian state government. By oneResolution of the advice of the city Cologne was again created the urban university. To 29. May 1919 signed the mayor at that time of the city, Konrad Adenauer, the convention with Prussia. The university went out of the likewise urban, at the 1.Mai 1901 based, Handelshochschule, to the university forlocal and social administration of 1912 as well as the first German academy for practical medicine of 1904 out, in economics and sociological faculty and/or. the medical faculty ignored. As a first rector Christian hitting a corner ore was selected. The university resided in for the Handelshochule to26. Octobers 1907 at the Roman park, southern part of the town, established to buildings (“old person university” now used by the professional school Cologne). To 2. November 1934 knew the university in one of the architect Adolf Abel established functionally simple new building inside green belts near the medical faculty to draw in. Already 1925the university was to Cologne after the university in Berlin the second largest Prussian university.1920 was added the jurisprudential one and the philosophical faculty, which the mathematical-scientific faculty split itself 1955 off.1980 the two Cologne departments of the educational university Rhine country became as educate-scientific and welfare-educationalFaculty of the university to Cologne attached. At the 1. April 1954 became the university Cologne with effect of the 1. April 1953 by the Land of the Federal Republic North Rhine-Westphalia taken over. The connection to the city and the governmental district Cologne is ensured by the institution of the Kuratoriums.
The university today
the Cologne university is today one of the prominent German universities. It ranks regularly among the TOP 5 in management economics, political economy and the jurisprudence and maintains research co-operation to several large-scale-research facilities. In the Ranking of “Mastersin management " (2005) the Financial Time occupied economics and sociological faculty the 10. Place under the European management training centres; the Community OF European management Schools CEMS, to which economics and sociological faculty belongs as initial member, occupied the 3. Place.
Since that 27. April 2006the Rektorat of the university is occupied to Cologne von Studierenden, who protests against the introduction of general study fees . This is the second occupation of the Rektorats of the university and first since 1968.
organization and faculties
the University of is divided into the following seven faculties:
|Faculty||studying 1)||(newly) year of the foundation|
|economics and sociological faculty||9,235||1919|
1) WG 2005/06, without guest listener study and preparatory course
to 20. July 2005 decided the senate of the university a concept for the re-organization of the faculties, which to the 1. January 2007 to be converted is. The concept sees the dissolutionthe educate-scientific and the welfare-educational faculty in their past form as well as the establishment of a new “sixth” faculty for Pädagogik, psychology and rehablitation (work title) forwards. The representatives and representative the didactical fan, who were active at the educate-scientific faculty so far particularly, are in the course thatRestructuring that their subject appropriate faculties as own specialized group for didactics to be assigned (e.g. “Biology and their didactics”, “Cheme and its didactics” etc. as new didactical specialized group to the Math. - Nat. - Fak.), during at the new faculty above all the educational, welfare-educational and psychological fan (so far in) remain to the philosophical faculty and/or. to be settled are.
- Functional Genomics in embryo NIC Stem Cells (FunGenEs)
- diagnostic molecular picture giving for neurology and cardiovascular diseases (DIMI)
- Internationally Graduate School in Genetics and FunctionalGenomics (North-Rhine/Westphalia Graduate School)
- international graduation course of studies molecular medicine (ZMMK)
- Cologne University Bioinformatics center (CUBIC)
- Graduiertenkolleg “theoretical and empirical bases of the risk management” (since 2002)
- Graduiertenkolleg “global structures in geometry and analysis” (since 2006)
- Graduiertenkolleg “Azentri crystals” (since 1999)
- Graduiertenkolleg “molecular analysis of development processesPlants " (since 1997)
- Graduiertenkolleg “genetics of cellular systems” (since 1997)
co-operation with large-scale-research facilities:
Cologne professors are at the same time members in the large-scale-research facilities, also studying can there along-vigorous.
- German center for air and space travel (DLR)
- research center Jülich in the helmet getting time community
- Fraunhofer Institut for algorithms and scientific counting (SCAI)
- Institute for Max-Planck for society research (MPIFG)
- institute for Max-Planck for neurological research (MPIN)
- institute for Max-Planck for breeding research (MPIZ)
- Professor. Dr. Briefly Alder (1950)
- Professor. Dr. Thomas Mussweiler (2006)
- Professor. Dr. Axel Ockenfels (2005)
- Professor. Dr. Martin Krönke (2001)
- Professor. Dr. Andreas Kablitz (1997)
- Professor.Dr. Ulf Ingo Flügge (1996)
- Professor. Dr. Thomas's Swiss (1995)
- Professor. Dr. Peter Schneider (1992)
- Professor. Dr. Mark of Depauw (2004)
- Professor. Dr. Manuel cook (2002)
- Professor. Dr. Joachim school TZE (2002)
third central volume:
the third central volume (third central incomes) was in the year 2004 about 73,4 millions€. With distance largest third central givers was with 27,6 millions € and/or. 37.4% the German research council (DFG). From this amount escaped 12.4 millions € and/or. 44.8% on the promotion instrument of special research ranges. The remaining third central incomes come likewise to a majority from kompetitiven third central givers (esp. European Union,BMBF, donations).
Extensive information about the total spectrum of the research projects the research report contains of the university.
constructing on its broad fan spectrum offers the University of a multiplicity at basicconstant, training further courses of studies and structure, which are in detail represented in the Internet offer of the university. During the advancement andReorganization of the study offer is the center of attention at present the conversion on Bachelor /Mastersystem.
Together with the high talented donation of the district savings bank Cologne the university offers the possibility for Cologne since the winter semester 2000/2001 schools, according to talented pupils and pupils of the stages 11 to 13 (in special casesalso the classes 8-10) at lectures and exercises in the subjects mathematics, physics, to let chemistry and computer science participate and in selected subjects of the philosophical faculty. The project proved as so successful that it also introduced at most other North-Rhine/Westphalian universitiesis.
for the international relations of the university (support of foreign studying and guest scientists, study possibilities and research stays abroad, university partnerships, international marketing) the centers are responsible for international relations on universitärer level the academic international exchange and on level of the faculties (centraldecentralized organization concept). ThoseMeaning of the internationalization of the university comes also by the 2004 mechanism of the position “pro rector taken place for international and public work” to the expression.
Number and portion of foreign studying; Education foreigner
the number of foreign studying was in the winter semester 2005/06 about 5.216 (without guest students and Studienkollegiaten). This corresponds to onePortion of 11,0% of the total number of the studying. The portion of the education foreigners and education foreigners lay in the winter semester 2005/06 with approx. 60 %. The education foreigners and education foreigner originated from altogether 121 nations. The largest countries of origin were Bulgaria (10.9%), Russia (8.8%), Poland (7.9%),China (6.3%) and the Ukraine (6.1%).
University partnerships and networks
the university to Cologne maintains on university and faculty level 16 official university partnerships. Apart from the official university partnerships áuf soon 300 co-operation and exchange relations with renowned universities insist level of the individual faculties and specialist areas on thatwhole world; the academic international exchange (AAA) organizes beyond that one usually for all fan open studying exchange with about 15 universities. Extensive promotion possibilities exist in each case by the ERASMUS - program of the European Union, the DAAD or charge cancellation of the partner universities (complete list of the partner university in the Internet offerthe university). In the year 2005 the university has the central switching and co-ordination of the relations of the North-Rhine/Westphalian universities with China to Cologne taken over
honor for the support of foreign studying
the university to Cologne became 2004 for it after the model of the center for international relationsto economics and sociological faculty the centraldecentralized organization concept with the price of the Foreign Office for special earnings/services to the support of foreign studying, established at the university, excellently.
Humboldt research price/AvH Gastwissenschaftlerinnen and guest scientist
in the year 2004 selected altogether ten with the Humboldt Forschungspreis of the Alexanderfrom Humboldt donation distinguished “established” foreign scientist inside and scientist the university to Cologne for your research year. Of the “younger” foreign Humboldt Forschungsstipendiatinnen and - scholarship holders were this 32.
household and finances
the household expenses of the university to Cologne amounted to in the year 2004 302.6 millions€ (without university clinic and national central means). Of it 205.2 millions were void € on the personnel expenseses, 89.2 millions € on the special expenditures (inclusive. 23,9 millions €Building and real estate property enterprise North-Rhine/Westphalia) and 8.2 millions € on the range of the investments.
the university became 2004for their successful equalization politics with that totally E-quality - descriptor excellently. With the descriptor both enterprises from the economy and universities and research establishments are distinguished, with personal and institution-political measures for the penetration of equal chances in their mechanisms to strive and also successesobtain.
to 24. November 2004 was selected Axel Freimuth to the rector of the university. Axel Freimuth was since April 2003 Dekan of the mathematical-scientific faculty. Its four years old term of office as a rector began at the 1. April 2005. Thus it solved as49. Rector since 1919 its predecessor Tassilo Küpper off. To take over the executive committee presidency research center of the Jülich it rejected the end of 2005 been issued call to be active around further as rector and scientists at the university to Cologne and the process begun of the profile formation inTo resume research and teachings.
the University of personalities , that made themselves particularly earned around it or around the research, appoints honour citizens and honour citizens honour citizens of the university. Honour citizens since 1925 are:
- Konrad Adenauer (1925)
- sister Ignatia (geb. Countess Spee) (1925)
- Paul von Hindenburg (1926)
- Christian hitting a corner ore (1926)
- Friedrich Moritz (1935)
- Balbino Giuliano (1938)
- Anton forest man (1938)
- Viktor Rolff (1938)
- Heinrich knight of Srbik (1938)
- Karl house (1950)
- Robert Pferdmenges (1955)
- Josef Kroll (1956)
- Christine Teusch (1963)
- Leopold of meadow and Kaiserswaldau (1965)
- Theo Burauen (1969)
- Karl Carstens (1984)
- Hermann year-tear (1984)
- Hansen briefly (1988)
the university appoints honour senators beside the honour citizens since 1933 also honour senators. So far came 44 persons this honour assign, under it:
- Eugen narrow brook (1953)
- Ernst Schwering (1956)
- max Adenauer (1965)
- Heinrich Brüning (1965)
- Hermann Pünder (1967)
- Friedrich Carl baron von Oppenheim (1975)
- John van Nes Ziegler (1980)
- Alfred baron von Oppenheim (2004)
acquaintance professor inside and professors
the university employs at present over 500 professors (of it over 60 professor inside). Admitted personalities, those in Cologne in a scholarly mannerhave or to still teach, are:
- Briefly Alder (chemistry)
- Roland Bulirsch (mathematics)
- Joachim Bumke Altgermanistik
- Karl Carstens (jurisprudence)
- Karl Otto Conrady (Germanistik)
- Juergen B. Donges (political economy)
- Johann Eekhoff (political economy)
- harsh ore Hax (management economics)
- Gustav Heinemann (jurisprudence)
- Hermann year-tear (jurisprudence)
- Gerhard cone (jurisprudence)
- René king (sociology)
- Hans Kelsen (jurisprudence)
- Joachim long (tax law)
- Karl loud brook (health economics)
- Karl-Heinz loud-young (physics)
- Peter Mittelstaedt (physics)
- Alfred Mueller Armack (political economy)
- Thomas Mussweiler (psychology)
- Hans's Carl Nipperdey (jurisprudence)
- Axel Ockenfels (political economy)
- ion N. Petrovici (medicine)
- Veronika Petrovici (medicine)
- Helmuth Plessner (philosophy)
- William Salber (psychology)
- Werner separate (Neurology)
- Erwin K. Scheuch (sociology)
- Theodor Schieder (sciences of history)
- Eugen narrow brook (management economics)
- Josef Schrudde (medicine)
- Heinrich of Stackelberg (political economy)
- Klaus Tipke (tax law)
- Axel A. Weber (political economy)
- advicethe realm city Cologne with permission by Pope Urban VI. (Medieval University of)
- advice of the city Cologne under Konrad Adenauer with permission by the Prussian government (modern trend University of)
museums and collections
- geo museum: Only naturkundliches museum in Cologne. Minerals, jewels,Meteorites, fossils etc. Opened Mi. 14 - 20 o'clock and each last Sunday in the month 14 - 17 o'clock, Zülpicher STR. 49 b
- theatre-scientific collection in lock illusion: Pictures and texts to the European theatre of 16. Century on, among other things the deduction of KarlValentin. Inspection of the archived materials only after (more justifiedly) advance notification. Library öffentlch. Burgstr. 2, Cologne-Porz/illusion.
- Egyptian collection: Papyri, Ostraka (writing pieces of broken glass) and Pergamente, ceramic(s) and small plastics. Inspection according to agreement, master corner hard STR. 7, Institut for Ägyptologie.
- Prähistori collection: Artifacts from all periods of the Ur and early history alsoof foreign find places, of the fist wedge of the Neandertalers up to the bronze sword and to iron weapons of the early Middle Ages. Inspection according to agreement, Weiertal 125, Institut for Ur and early history.
- Papyrus collection of the institute for antiquity customer: After Vereinbarunge group guidance are possible. University main building.
- Barbarastollen: Under the aula, main building, becameas part of a museum for trade and industry 1932 a mine lug developed, which is to be visited according to agreement over Institut for industrial medicine in groups.
university University of
- Erich Meuthen: Cologne university University of, volume I: The old university, 1988, ISBN 3-412-06287-1
- Bernd Heimbüchel andKlaus Pabst:Cologne university University of, volume II: 19. and 20. Century, 1988, ISBN 3-412-01588-1
- Erich Meuthen (Hrsg.): Cologne university University of, volume III: The new university - data and facts, 1988, ISBN 3-412-01688-8
- international Web on the left of Website of the university
- to Cologne/Academic international exchange
- Erich Meuthen: Small Cologne university University of
- Website of the university University of Cologne
- list of the honour citizens and honour senators of the university to Cologne since 1925
- KölnAlumni registered association. - Graduate network of the university to Cologne
- group of presses of the campaign against study fees at the university to Cologne
Cologne | Professional school | German sport university | Rheini professional school | University for music | Academy of art for media | Catholic professional school North Rhine-Westphalia | Europe professional school Fresenius | International film school
RWTH Aachen | University of Bielefeld | Ruhr University Bochum | Rheini Friedrich William university Bonn | University of Dortmund | Heinrich Heine university Duesseldorf | University of Duisburg meal | Correspondence university in Hagen | University to Cologne | German sport university Cologne | Westfäli William university Münster | University of Paderborn | University of victories | University of jokes/stove corner | Bergi University of Wuppertal