|this article treats the Spanish large city, for other meanings sees Valencia.|
|inhabitant:||852.234 (conditions January 2006)|
|population density:||1,184 inhabitants for each km ²|
|surface:||134.65 km ²|
|geographical situation:|| |
Coordinates: 39º 28 ′ 36 " N, 0º 22 ′ 28 " W 39º 28 ′ 36 " N, 0º 22 ′ 28 " W
|postal zip code:||46000 to 46099|
|Bürgermeisterin:||Rita Barberá Nolla (PP)|
Valencia (Spanish ba'lenθja; valencianisch/Catalan València [va'łensia]) a large city is in the eastern part of Spain. The capital of the autonomous region Valencia and the province of the same name is to approximately 320 km southeast the state capital Madrid because of the delta of the Turia to the Mediterranean and is with approx. 850,000 inhabitants the third biggest city of theCountry. In the region Valencia live approximately 1.8 million humans.
Table of contents
Valencia is because of the Spanish Mediterranean coast, approx. 350 km south of Barcelona at the delta of the river Turia. The river was shifted after devastating inundations into the 1950er years (last 1957) from the city; the formerFlussbett was converted into a park.
The climate in Valencia is coined/shaped of the Mediterranean. The annual average temperature amounts to 17,8°C and varies thereby between 11,5ºC in January as well as 25,5°C in August. In the winter the temperatures fall nearly never under 4-8°C, during the day can it18-25°C become warm. In the summer are possible up to 40°C, while they fall at night on pleasant 20-25°C.
The annual amount of precipitation amounts to somewhat less than 470 mm. It rains particularly in the spring and autumn, in each case approx. 5 days in the month. The first September week is fortheir strong precipitation „famous “. The summer months June, July and August are almost dry.
From the climate very recommendable the months are April to June as well as in the middle of Septembers to at the end of of Octobers. Also the winter months are very pleasant for Central Europeans.
The middle water temperature in Valencia lies ofJune until Octobers over 20°C and it reaches its maximum in August with 25°C. During the winter months the middle water temperature amounts to 13-15°C.
138 v. Chr. if the city Valentia (/wa'lentia/) was created by the Roman consul Decimus Iunius Brutus, reportsthe historian Titus Livius. About hundred years later Valentia than one of the first hispanischen cities becomes Roman colony.
Under westgothical rule hardly developed, the city made 711 rapid progress after Arab conquest and reached in the Kalifat of Córdoba 15,000 inhabitants. In thatThe Amiriden and the Dhun Nuniden in „Balansiya prevailed to time of the Taifa kingdoms “. 1094 conquered El Cid the city for the Christianity, but after eight years she fell again to the Muslims under the Almoraviden.
After the city, after an intermediate play under Ibn Mardanisch underthe rule of the Almohaden was guessed/advised, won king Jakob I. from Aragonien 1238 the city finally for the Christianity back and made it the capital of the Kingdom of Valencia, which belonged to the crown of Aragonien.
In 15. and 16. Century was Valencia one of the most important cities in the Mediterranean area. Joanot Martorell, author of Tirant lo Blanch and the poet Ausias March are famous Valencianer from this time.
1520 - at the same time with the Comuneros rebellion against king Karl I. (the German emperor Karl V.) in Toledo and other cities - it came into Valencia to the rebellion of the guilds united in brother shanks (Germanías). After in April 1521 with Villalar the royal Reitereiover the insurgent Comuneros triumphed, also the Germanías rebellion was struck down.
During the Spanish war of secession of 1701 - 1714 stood for Valencia on the side of Karl of Austria. After the victory of the Bourbonen in the battle of Almansa to 17. April 1707 has the citytheir privileges lost.
During the Spanish civil war 1936 - 1939 belonged Valencia to the area controlled by the republicans and were starting from November 1936 in place of Madrid lain directly in the combat zone seat of the government of the republic; in November 1937 the republican government shifted its seat howeverfurther to Barcelona. The city suffered much from the blockade and FE storage by Francos army.
of results of the local council choice 2003:
- PP: 19 seats
- PSOE: 12 seats
- ENTESA: 2 seats
616,206 voters, election turnout 70.1%.
Bürgermeisterin is Rita Barberá Nolla (Partido popular).
culture and objects of interest
museums, zoos and botanische gardens, park
- Ciutat de les kind i of les Ciències city of the arts and the sciences
- „the city of the arts and the sciences “was sketched by the valenzianischen architect Santiago Calatrava. It covers the following objects of interest:
- Palau de les kind Reina Sofía
- a extravagante opera and music palace with four hallsand 37,000 m 2 total area.
- largest aquarium of Europe, with a multiplicity of ocean inhabitants e.g. from the Mediterranean, Fische of the free oceans and reef inhabitant, sharks, Makrelenschwärme, Delfinarium, arctic - and Antarctic - inhabitant (white whales, penguins), Küstenbewohner (e.g. Seelöwen),etc. The L'Oceanogràfic does not place low animals such as Korallen, Quallen, sea anemones, etc. out.
- Museo de read Ciencias Príncipe Felipe prince Philipp Museum of the sciences
- a selection by laws of nature is descriptive illustrated here, in particular for children starting from approx. 8-10 years been suitable. Architecture of theMuseum orients itself at a Kauri shell.
- 3D-Kino, designs as opening and closing eye.
- Botani garden beside the museum of the sciences. Particularly in the evening - to the blue hour - likes.
- Casa Museo Blasco Ibáñez
- Casa Museo Concha Piquer
- Casa Museo José Benlliure
- Casa Museo Semana Santa Marinera
- Galería del Tossal
- IVAM - Instituto Valenciano de Arte Moderno - center Julio González center Julio González - Valenziani Institut of the modern art
- Museo Casa de read Rocas
- Museo del Arroz rice museum
- Museo de Bellas Artes Musem of the beautiful arts
- Museo de Ciencias Naturales scientific museum
- Museo de Informática computer science museum
- Museo de la Asociación Valenciana de Arte y Tecnología Eléctrica - ARTTEL
- Museo de la Catedral museum of the cathedral
- Museo de la Ciudad urban museum
- Museo de Prehistoria y de read Culturas de Valencia museumthe Prähistorik and the cultures in València
- Museo del Colegio Arte Mayor de la Seda
- Museo del Gremio de Artistas falleros museum of the committee of the Fallas - artist
- Museo del Juguete toy museum
- Museo del Patriarca museum of the Patriarchen
- Museo del Siglo XIX museum 19. Century
- Museo Fallero Fallas - museum
- Museo de Historia de la Medicina museum of medicine history
- Museo de Historia de Valencia museum of history Valencias
- Museo Histórico military museum of military history
- Museo Histórico Municipal
- Sala de Exposiciones del Museo Histórico Municipal
- Museo Marítimo Joaquín Saludes maritime museum Joaquín Saludes
- Museo Municipal de Ciencias Naturales
- Museo Municipal del “Trenet”
- Museo Nacional de Cerámica “González Martí” González Martí Nationalmuseum for ceramic(s)
- Museo Taurino
- Museo Valenciano de Historia Natural Valenciani museum of natural history
- MUVIM - Museo Valenciano de la Ilustración y la Modernidad Valenciani museum of the illustration andthe modern trend
- Botani garden
- zoo-logical garden
- city park in old bed of the river Turia
- El tribunal de Aguas read oldest water court in Europe
- Valencia CF, football crew from the first Spanish league, the Primera División
- Levante UD, club from that Segunda División (2. League Spain)
- 2007 becomes for the first time in Valencia of the America's Cup, which most well-known and prestigeträchtigste sail Regatta of the world, to take place.
- El Bosque club de Golf, one of the best 5 golf courses of Spain, conceived of Robert Trent Jones SR., is only few kilometers outsideof Valencia convenient.
is the city admits by the annually taking place „Fallas “. The Fallas is celebrations that boroughs in honours of pc. Josef, the Carpenter. The individual boroughs place extra large figures from wood andPappmaché out, „fallas “. Fallas e.g. karikieren. outstanding events from the social and political life in often quite sow-Irish kind.
The Fallas begins with at the beginning of March and reaches to 17-19. March their high point. They become with removals by the boroughs in traditional Tracht,Festessen and fireworks, celebrated. There are two different categories of fireworks: one are mazcletàs daily at 14 the o'clock on the Plaça de l'Ajuntament take place. The other one are the Castillos de fuegos artificiales in the four nights before that the 19. March inthe night sky to be shot. To 17. and 18. March that four-gene de Desamparados with removals flowers is dargeboten loosely. The flowers are plugged together before the Basilika on the Plaça de la four-gene to a 10m high Marienbild. To 19. March become fallas - the sticking figures tooHonours of pc. Josef in an act named cremà burned. The Valencianer rivet calls this night del foc (splinter noche de loosely fuegos/night of the fires).
the kitchen of the region Levante is from the rice, local vegetables andFishing coined/shaped. Thus the Valencianer knows numerous variants of the traditional rice court Paella, a kind Risotto, which is prepared on the open fire:
- Paella Valenciana with chicken, rabbit, giant beans and become green to beans
- Paella marinera with fish and sea fruits
- Paella de verduras with vegetable
the Paella is a traditionally valencianisches court. Although the Spanish kitchen is coined/shaped very regionally, the Paella in Spain has a very high admitting heating degree. Since the Spanish kitchen has a quite regional purchase, become however in the different regions of Spain of the traditional Paella Valenciana deviating versions prepares. Thus for example the Paella with chicken and sea fruits, adapted by (central) the Katalanen to their own regional kitchen , is rejected by the predominant majority of the Valencianer.
Gladly also “Arroz aluminium Horno” (rice from the furnace) or “Arroz A is eaten la Banda” (rice from the pan).
Also the “Agua de Valencia” is high-praised, a mixing beverage from Spanish sparkling wine Cava, orange juice and other one added.
In the summer gladly “Leche is eaten merengada “, a kind Sorbeton basis of milk and meringue (“Merengue”), aromatizes with lemon bowl and Zimt. A ball Leche merengada ice (alternatively also Nata (cream) ice) on coffee - Sorbet is called “Blanco y Negro”. With a ball Mantecado (vanilla - cream ice) becomes from it thatfor Valencia typical “national”.
traffic and logistics
Valencia can be attained from air over 8 km by the city centre removed airport Manises, that from Germany von Ferienfliegern, in addition, in the line air traffic are approached. From there there are bus connections to the city;a Metrolinie is extended at present to the airport. Occasionally the journey can be however more favorable over the neighbouring airport Alicante.
By railway the port is connected to the Spanish state railway RENFE in the long-distance traffic net (Grandes Lineas ) with Alicante , Barcelona and Madrid. In the suburban traffic connectsthe course on six lines the closer environment:
- C1: Silla and Gandía
- C2: Silla, Xàtiva, Moixent, Albacete and Alicante
- C3: Buñol, Utiel, Requena and Cuenca,
- C4: Quart de Poblet,
- C5: Sagunt and Teruel,
- C6: Sagunt, Castellón de la Plana and Barcelona.
In the traffic Valencia is westward over the E-901 (European route) with the state capitalMadrid connected, which is at the same time feeder to the E-15, an important North-South axis along the coast toward Barcelona. In the building is at present the A-23 Sagunt - Somport (Pyrenees passport), which will connect Valencia with Teruel and Saragossa.
Valencia has an important sea port with container terminals,Driving and rail connection.
sons and daughters of the city
- Baltasar of Marradas (1560-1638), noble, Malteserritter, imperial field marshal, governor in Böhmen
- Antonio José Cavanilles (1745-1804), Botaniker
- Enrique Reig y Casanova (1858-1927), archbishop of Toledo and cardinal
- Juan Benlloch y Vivó (1864-1926), archbishop ofBurgos and cardinal of the Roman-catholic church
- Vicente Blasco Ibáñez (1867-1928), writer and politician
- Santiago Calatrava (* 1951), architect, artist and civil engineer
- Adrian Campos (* 1960), Formel-1-Rennfahrer
- Rafael Font de Mora, Tennisspieler
- Andrés Palop Cervera (* 1973), football player
- Vicente Rodríguez (* 1981), football players
Web on the left of
|Commons: Valencia - pictures, videos and/or audio files|
- http://www.valencia.es/ - homepage of the city Valencia