|of these articles is concerned with the US state Virginia, further meanings under Virginia (term clarifying)|
|flag||coat of arms/seal|
|pointed name:|| „Old person rule “|
|largest city:||Virginia Beach|
|rank (withinthe USA):||35|
|altogether:||110,862 km ²|
|country:||102,642 km ²|
|water (%):||8,220 km ² (7.4%)|
|rank (within the USA):||12|
|since:||25. June 1788|
|time belt:||Eastern: UTC-5/-4|
|Degree of latitude:||36°31'N to 39°37'N|
|degree of longitude:||75°13'W to 83°37'W|
|highest situation:||1,746 m|
|average situation:||290 m|
|deepest situation:||0 m|
Virginia [vɜːˈdʒɪnjə] (officially Commonwealth OF Virginia) is a Federal State of the United States of America, which covers parts of the southAtlantic coastal plain, the Piedmont and the Südappalachen. It stepped 1788 as the tenth statethe USA and lost 1861 the northwest districts, which united to the independent west Virginia. Capital Virginias is smelling moon.
Table of contents
] history to the name in honours of the English queen Elizabeth I. of walter Raleigh in the course of its expedition of 1584, when it created the first settlement on Roanoke Iceland. There thoseQueen the surname „virgin queen “(Virgin Queen) had and it from the view of the colonialists finally around the settlement and raclamation of an identical country went, this name was selected. However one named once an area, which thoselater States of Virginia, west Virginia, North Carolina, Kentucky, Tennessee and Ohio contained.
From the natives Virginias best admits is the Powhatan belonging to the Algonkin Sprachfamilie, which lived close of the coast. Further groups were to the Irokesen Sprachfamilie the belonging Nottaway and Meherrin southwest from these, those to the Sioux Sprachfamilie belonging Monacan and Saponi, which lived in the Vorland of the Appalachen, and which Cherokee in the extreme west of the state.
Later the citizens Virginias than originally 13 colonies of the recent state federation followed tenth that 1788 . As homeland of many establishment fathers, in particular , that played Patrick Henry, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison , George Mason and George WashingtonState of an outstanding role, because four of the first five presidents came from Virginia.
To 15. May 1776 explained itself Virginia for the first time for independent.
To 17. April 1861 decided particularly for this purpose a called up secession meeting that Virginia itself of thatThe USA to separate and the Konföderierten states from America to attach should. With 88 to 55 voices the voting result was however not as clear as in most other secession states. That changed however nothing in the fact that Virginia in the following four yearsto one of the most important scenes of the US-American civil war will should, particularly since it placed the capital of the Konföderierten with smelling moon also. The northwest Countys explained against it for their part to 27. April 1861 the splitting off from the state and the whereabouts in the union.This part of Virginias became still during the war 1863 as west Virginia 35. Member state of the USA.
To 26. January 1870 was taken up Virginia again to the union.
to the colonial ages was called the House of Commons of the government House OF Burgesses (community centre). Together with the board of governors the community centre held the general assembly. The board of governors consisted of twelve men, ofBritish monarch was determined, in order to determine the governor and advise him. It had also the function of the highest court of the colony, an institution for colonial comparable with the British supreme Court. Members of the community centre became voters of the colony of alldetermined. Each district (County) selected two citizens, in order to represent this; the college OF William and Mary (after Harvard the secondaryoldest university America) and the cities Norfolk, Williamsburg and Jamestown selected for this ever a citizen.
The citizens died together,To decide laws for the colony and to specify the direction for future growing of the colony. The advice examined the bills and approved or disapproved it. The permission of the citizens, the advice and the Gouverners were necessary around a lawto discharge. The idea of the selected citizens was important and new. It gave first to the voters of Virginia time a possibility of controlling their government.
At first the citizens were selected by all free men of the colony, during Mrs., Hausangestellteand Indians were not entitled to vote. Later the electoral laws were intensified; it was now necessary to possess at least 20 hectares country. In the year 1619 the general assembly of Virginia the oldest still existing government of the new world is created. Nowadaysit in an educated manner from senate and Deligiertenhaus. The term Bügerhaus is used in the meantime for the entire government of this time.
Virginia circumscribed of west Virginia, Maryland, and the District OF Columbia over the Potomac River in the north, the Chesapeake Bay and the Atlantic in the east, by North Carolina and Tennessee in the south, as well as of Kentucky in the west. Virginia divides with Maryland scarcely in each case one half of the expanded urban population centre overthe Bundesdistrict Washington D.C. In addition Dulles international belongs also to Arlington County beside the airport, where a multiplicity of American federal authorities is, under it the Pentagon.
The western part of the country - along the borders to west Virginia and Kentucky - belongsto the Appalachen, whose highest mountain is within Virginia of the 1746 meters high Mount Rogers. In the Appalachen also the Shenandoah national park, one is to usually-visited national park of the USA.
- Arthur Ashe, Tennisspieler, Richmond
- Pearl Bailey, singer, new haven news
- Warren Beatty, actor, smelling moon
- George Bingham, painter, Augusta town center
- Rita Mae Brown, authoress, Charlottesville
- smelling pool of broadcasting corporations E. Byrd, polar researcher, Winchester
- William Clark, discoverer,Caroline town center
- John Colter, discoverer
- Joseph Cotten, actor, Petersburg
- Missy Elliott, Rapperin, Portsmouth
- Ella Fitzgerald, jazz singer, new haven news
- William Henry Harrison, president of the USA, Charles town center County
- Bruce Hornsby, pianist and Singer Songwriter, Williamsburg
- Chad Hugo, musician and music producer, Portsmouth
- all Iverson, basketball player, Hampton
- Thomas Jefferson, president of the USA, harm-wave
- Henry Lee, US-American Kavallerieoffizier, major general and politician, Dumfries
- Robert E. Lee, general of the Konföderation, Stratford
- Meriwether Lewis, discoverer,Ambemarle Cty
- Shirley MacLaine, actress, smelling moon
- James Madison, president of the USA, haven Conway
- Moses Malone, basketball player, Petersburg
- Cyrus resound to McCormick, inventor, Rockbridge Cty
- James Monroe, president of the USA, Westmoreland
- Alonzo Mourning, basketball player, Chesapeake
- Opechancanough, Master leaders of the Powhatan
- John Payne, actor, Roanoke
- Bill „Bojangles “Robinson, dancer, smelling moon
- George C. Scott, actor, meadow
- Jeb Stuart, rider general of the Konföderation, Patrick Cty
- Thomas Sumter, general, Hanover Cty
- Zachary Taylor, president thatThe USA, orange Cty
- John Tyler, president of the USA, Charles town center
- Michael Vick, American football professional, new haven news
- Booker T. Washington, Pädagoge, Franklin Cty
- George Washington, Präsident of the USA, Westmoreland
- Pharrell Williams, musicians and music producer, VirginiaBeach
- Woodrow Wilson, president of the USA, being astonished clay/tone
- Tom wolf, journalist and writer, smelling moon
- Phil Vassar, Country music star, lynching mountain
- Mike Barr, American football professional, Forest
- Lamb OF God, Metalcore volume, smelling moon
- slogan: Sic more semper tyrannis. To see (on the national flag with thrashed Tyrannen.)
- the coat of arms was sketched by George Wythe, which had signed also the declaration of independence. Already the 1776 generally used national symbol changedone 1930 easily off.
- ruby, L. D. jr.: Virginia. A history, New York 1977
- Bodine, A. A.: Face OF Virginia, 2. Aufl. Baltimore 1972
Web on the left of
- official homepage of the Federal State Virginia (English)
- tourist board of Virginia (English)
- Germanna (German colony) (English)
- library of Virginia (English)
- civil was (English)
- Virginia Historical Society (English)
- Association for the Preservation OF Virginia Antiquties (English)
Federal acts: Alabama |
Louis IANA |
New Hampshire |
New jersey |
New Mexico |
New York |
North Carolina |
North Dakota |
Rhode Island |
South Carolina |
South Dakota |
Threshing floor lake |
West Virginia |
governmental district: Washington (D.C.)
external areas: American Samoa | Bakerinsel | Guam | Howlandinsel | Jarvisinsel | John clay/tone island | Young remote islands
Kingmanriff | Midwayinseln | Navassa | Northern Marianen | Palmyra | Puerto Rico | Wake
free associates: Marshall Islands | Palau | Mikronesien