To table of contents
Each people's highschool is independent. There are however regional organizations of the people's highschools in all Lands of the Federal Republic, in those superordinate things regulated, negotiations on land and federal level led andthe close co-operation of the individual people's highschools in the regions is organized. The regional organizations of the people's highschools are in the German people university federation e. V. united.
People's highschools understand themselves today as local training further centers. They offer courses, single meetings, compact seminars, study trips and - to travels likewise, like “education on order” inForm of so-called. Company or Inhouse courses.
usually finance themselves the video home system by the three “columns”:
- Subsidies of the country,
- subsidies of the municipality (n) and
- incomes from participant repaying.
Since the people's highschools only one part of the expenses by participant-repaid to cover must -to obtain profitless - video home system courses are comparatively economical offers for all social classes.
the training offer of people's highschools consists of training meetings different duration, usually between 1 and 15 weeks. There are courses, to the needs of employed persons is cut and thereforeto be held predominantly in the evening. Others are open in particular to unemployed person, housewives and - men, pensioners and pensioners and are in the morning accomplished. Also on weekends intensive courses, z find. B. Computer courses instead of, in which all demographic layers can participate. A further support leg of the people's highschools are education vacation after the employee training further lawsthe Lands of the Federal Republic.
For the course offer the following ranges of topics are typical:
- General education
- vocational education
- political education
- languages (Alphabetisierung, German for Migranten, foreign languages)
- culture and shapes
- health formation
- of graduations
to the forerunners of the people's highschools counts the university expansion University of end 19.Century just like the public lecture nature, in the center and in outgoing 19. Century its origin in the worker and craftsman education associations possesses.
A lasting influence on the development of the people's highschools in Germany also the Danish home people university movement Grundtvig had' shears coinage. Nikolai Frederik Severin Grundtvig appliesas the founders of the first people's highschool at all in the year 1844.
The first German people's highschools developed in the time of the Weimar Republic. In the article 148 of the realm condition from 1919 the promotion of the training system became, including which, for the first time legally embodies people's highschools.
The today's understanding of adult educationis considered as process of lifelong learning. The world-wide social changes show, which meaning is in the future attached to the people's highschools.
people's highschools in Scandinavia
people's highschools exist also in Scandinavia, where this school form, imported by Grundtvig, has its origin. In Sweden those existfolksuniversitet, which come with their offer (language courses etc.) the German people's highschools very close. Often the other Scandinavian people's highschools differ in their character very strongly from their counterparts in the German-speaking countries. These institutions, the folkehøjskole (Danish), folkehøgskole (Norwegian), folkhögskola (Swedish), kansankorkeakoulu (Finnish) or fólkaháskúli (Färöisch) to be called, are one year's boarding schools. The pupils of these people's highschools are old between 18 and 25 years. There are no examinations at these schools, on the contrary special value is put on personal experience, experience and dialogue.A goal of these schools is it, the pupils a technical to make social and personal developing further possible. The offered courses cover a broad topic spectrum, as for example art, handicraft, music, sport, philosophy, theatre, photography or media.
The home people's highschools correspond to the Scandinavian people's highschools in Germany.
People's highschools in Germany
Most establishments took place after end of the First World War 1918 with the goal of educating the broad population better those beforewas excluded from the education.Herman Nohl, Heinrich Weinel and pure hard Buchwald created end of 1918 the people's highschool Jena, one day after the opening gave it already 2000 written listeners. To 25. February 1919 found the establishment meeting of the people's highschool Thuringia in the areas to thatCompany Carl Zeiss instead of. The company put also for training meetings the free premises to the movement at the disposal and donated 10,000 Marks. At the 1. June gave it already 26 to people's highschools, at the end of of 1920 the number on over 90 had already increased.
people's highschools in ownBuildings
- the federation Quickborn on the castle Rothenfels, which it had acquired and had developed 1919, organized meetings, which equaled those a people's highschool. They were forbidden 1939 of the National Socialist Gestapo.
- A plant established first as benefit-poison-free meeting place dedicated the home garden work in Neisse since 1923 meetingsa people's highschool. Additionally the home garden work established 1926 a new building, in which participant and participant inside during their training courses and training courses could live, and became thereby the only home people's highschool in German history. 1933 was suitable the National Socialist ruling powers the area with its buildings onand used it first for work service and armed forces, later than child gardener school. With the end of war 1945 and after driving out the buildings were partly destroyed, dedicated to partly different purposes.
- After the Second World War the people's highschool in Marl possessed a its own as the first in Germany since 1955Building, that the “island” (based 1946)