walter Reuter (* 4. January 1906 in Berlin; † 20. March 2005 in Cuernavaca, Mexico) was a German photographer for the worker pictorial newspaper AIZ, participant of the Spanish of civil war and fled to Mexico in the exile.
Table of contents
citizens of Berlin years
walter Reuter buildup in the proletarian quarter of Berlin Charlottenburg . With 14 years it began teachings as chemistry graph and worked later also than actors, dancers and photo reporters. The German youth movement had large influence on its development and inspired it for the avant-garde art - of the 20's, literature, theatre and expression dance. It photographed autonomous) boy shank of the 1 for the commercial artist and founder of the Germans (. November 1929 Eberhard Koebel, mentioned tusk, Reuters photographs in its magazines the campfire and the ice-breaker published.
When it lost 1929 because of its solidarity stating with the victims of blood May its work as chemistry graph and on a so-called black one list stood, it taught itself auto+didactically photographing and began for the worker pictorial newspaper photo reports to make; for example 1931 the murder tower 33, over that SA - unit, against those its friend, who suffered young attorney Hans (in the KZ DAK-strike later died) the so-called Edenprozess led and Hitler as witnesses cited. Because of these reports walter Reuter was afraid for his life and fled two weeks after the realm tag fire in the spring 1933 with its Jewish friend Sulamith Siliava over Switzerland and France to Spain.
Spanish civil war
as 1936 the Spanish civil war broke off, traveled his Mrs. Sulamith Reuter, geb. Siliava, with the common son jasmine to Paris and walter Reuter fought three months in the republican army as a soldier and then for the further years of the war than war correspondents in the service of the democratic government. It was twice wounded. Its photographs came over the New Yorker picture agency Black star and over the Pressestelle of the Spanish State Department into the world press, where they were however often published without denomination.
If walter Reuter had already co-operated in his time during the worker pictorial newspaper with the famous photo assembly artist John Heartfield, then he learned now almost all German Spain fighters and foreign journalists, among them Ernest Hemingway, Arthur Koestler and Robert Capa, with which he exchanged negatives and photo material. When Capas life companion, who is deadly hurt German Fotografin Gerda Taro with Madrid of a driving past tank, was it one the latter, which could speak with it.
From Spain at the collapse of the Spanish republic the escape succeeded to it to France at its family. It was arrested several times as a Spain fighter by the French government and brought into different internment camps, in the end 1940 after Colomb Béchar in the French seeing era, where it was used with the building of the Transsahara - railroad line by the desert. 1942 an adventurous escape succeeded to it at Casablanca, where it unites with woman and son with the last Portuguese ship, the San Thomé to 20. March 1942 to Mexico to emigrate could. It received a visa for Mexico, which issued generously visas for German anti-fascists, who had fought in Spain.
exile in Mexico
as place of residence was assigned to it the 156 kilometers southeast from Mexico city city Puebla at the foot of the volcanos Popocatépetl and Iztaccíhuatl, lain. After he found no work there, he left his pregnant woman Mrs. Sulamith and its small son jasmine and went as a photographer to Mexico city. After difficult beginnings with borrowed camera it became one of the prominent photo journalists of Mexico and is considered today as that, which inserted the modern photo journal mash into Mexico. It supplied photo reports for the most important Mexican pictorials, how Hoy (today), Nosotros (we), Mañana (mornings) and Siempre! (Always!) and picture documentations for the government. In Nosotros it published its first photo series lot Techos de Mexico (the roofs of Mexico). Beside order work he dedicated himself dance and the indigenen population of Mexico to his preferential topics. It photographed likewise German emigrants such as Anna Seghers and Gustav automatic controller or Mexican artists such as Diego Rivera and José Clemente Orozco.
At 1946, four years after its arrival in Mexico, he began to film. It led direction and turned the documentary film: Historia de un rio (history of a river) over the emergence of the dam Temazcal and worked about ten years long as a cameraman for the Mexican Wochenschau “Clasa y Cine Verdad”, it turned several socialcritical dokumentar and features, under it the episode film Raíces (roots), which received 1955 the critic price with the international film festivals from Cannes.
1954 died his Mrs. Sulamith. Some years later he married Ana, a Mexican indianischer descent. In a financial emergency situation it had to sell its movie camera and turned again to the photography. It undertook still at high age cumbersome journeys, e.g. into remote mountain regions of the Federal State Oaxaca for the trunk of the Triques, with which a special friendship connected it.
deduction and picture rights
alone the photographic deduction walter Reuters from the Mexican time enclosure to the 120,000 negatives and Zwischennegative and a comprehensive photographic document places to the history of Mexico and his Indigenen population in the second half 20. Century. The deduction at present regenerated with the help of a promotion of the Fondo Nacional de la Cultura y read Artes (national fund for culture and the arts) of the Mexican government.
Its work for the left picture press of the last four years of the Weimar Republic, for which youth movement and over Spanish the civil war are only partially investigated and opened. Since walter Reuters own photo archives were destroyed five times from the time from 1930 to 1942 or were lost - partly from fear of pursuit by the LV regime, partly on the stations of the escape to Mexico - must negatives and departures as verschollen to be considered, if in the unfathomable depths of Spanish archives some more is not discovered nevertheless of it.
Note for this: 1989/1990 some negatives were discovered by walter Reuter from the time of the Spanish of civil war in centers SED archives, today SAPMO. On it the exhibition catalog of a Reuter exhibition reports walter 1990 in Berlin.
The picture fig. walter Reuters will in Germany of the agency for pictures to contemporary history, Berlin represented (see Web on the left of)
- 1953 silver ear in Rome for Tierra del chicle (country india rubber), camera
- 1955 FIPRESCI Kritikerpreis of the film festivals of Cannes for Raíces (roots), camera
- 1999 Espejo de Luz de la 3a. Bienal de Fotoperiodismo México (price of the 3. Biennale for photo journalism in Mexico) for its life's work
- 1999 Ariel de Oro de la XXVI Ceremonia EN el Palacio de Bellas Artes, México (golden lion of the palace of the beautiful arts Mexico, 26. Class) for its cinematic work
- 2001 honor festival Internacional Cervantino, Guanajuato Mexico, for the exhibition 95 of imagenes x 95 años (95 fig. x 95 years)
- 2001 Becario Emérito del Sistema Nacional de Creadores (senior scholarship holder of the national organization of the art-creative) of conaculta
- the Premio walter Reuter (walter Reuter price) of the festival Internacional de Danza Contemporánea de San Luis Potosí (international festival for contemporary dance San Luis Potosí, Mexico) annually for the best dance photo lent
- to Order of Merit
- 1953 Historia de un Rio (history of a river), direction and camera
- 1953 Tierra de Chicle (country the india rubber), to camera
- 1957 La Viuda (the widow), camera
- 1957 El Hombre de la Isla (the man of the island), film script, direction and camera
- 1957 Tierra de Esperanza (country it hope), film script, direction and camera
- 1957 El Botas, camera
- 1957 La Brecha (the breach), camera
- 1953 Raíces (roots), camera
- 1957 El Tigre de Mayas ( the tiger of the Mayas), camera 1958
- Norte ( the north), camera 1958
- La Gran Caida/The bend drop ( the large fall) loosely, camera
- 1958 El Brazo Fuerte (the strong arm), camera
- 1958/Uraufführung 1960 lot pequeños Gigantes (the small giants), camera
- 1966 La Güera Xóchitl (the blond Xóchitl), camera
- 1983 gallery Ollin Yolitzli, Mexico city
- 1983 Museo Cuauhnahuac in the Cortez palace
- 1986 walter Reuter y la danza (walter Reuter and the dance), Museo de Arte Moderno, Mexico city
- 1989 photo gallery of the Casa del Lago in the park Chapultepec, Mexico city
- 1990 walter Reuter - Berlin Madrid Mexico: 60 years photography and film 1930-1990, new society for screen end art registered association., Berlin
- 1991 walter Reuter - Berlin Madrid Mexico: 60 years photography and film 1930-1990, Friedrich Ebert donation, Bad Godesberg
- 2004 walter Reuter: sus inicios com fotoreportero EN México, 1943-1955 (walter Reuter: its beginnings as photo reporters la Imagen de in Mexico, 1943-1955), center de la
- Imagen , Mexico city 2005 Mujeres EN read la obra de Walter Reuter (the women in the work of walter Reuter), centers, Mexico city
- 2005 Exposicion sobre la Guerra civil española de Walter Reuter (exhibition over Spanish the civil war of walter Reuter), festival Internacional Cervantino, center de read itself Artes de Guanajuato
- 2006 walter Reuter - German photographer and film producer in Mexico, mansion Oppenheim, Berlin Charlottenburg
- 2006 walter Reuter, film producer and photographer in the Exil.1906 until 2005, Ibero American Institut Prussian culture possession, Berlin
of documentary films over walter Reuter
- 1986 who not gives up… The life history citizens of Berlin of the photographer Walter Reuter - direction: Professor. em. Diethard Kerbs and walter Uka, production: Hamburg city journals
- 1991 approximation. Walter Reuter, film producer and photographer in the exile. - Direction: Professor. Lothar shoemaker, Berlin
- exhibition catalog: Walter Reuter y la danza, Museo de Arte Moderno, Bosque de Chapultepec. México, D.F., 1986 (text: Jas Reuter)
- Dorothea Cremer, Stefanie Ketz, Diethard Kerbs walter Reuter - Berlin Madrid Mexico: 60 years photography and film 1930-1990 - argon publishing house and new society for screen end art registered association, Berlin 1990, ISBN 3-87024-171-3
Web on the left of
- agency for pictures to contemporary history, Berlin (agency of the picture rights in Germany)
|SHORT DESCRIPTION||German photographer and resistance fighter, Spain fighter and connoisseur of Mexico|
|DATE OF BIRTH||4. January 1906|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Berlin|
|DYING DATE||20. March 2005|
|DYING PLACE||Cuernavaca, Mexico|