a Web log [ˈwɛblɒg] (English. Contamination from Web and log), often simply only Blog [blɒg] mentioned, is a web page, which contains periodically new entries. New entries stand in highest place, older follow in turned around chronological order.
To table of contents
the first Weblogs emerged in the middle of the 1990er years. They were called on-line diaries and were Websites, on which Internet users made periodically entries over their own life. As one the first Blogger is considered to Simon Gisler, which led an on-line diary since 1994.
Starting from 1996 services were furnished such as Xanga, which made simply a providing of their own Weblogs for Internet users possible. After a slow start such sides exhibited a fast growth starting from end of the 1990er years. Thus Xanga of 100 Blogs grew in the year 1997 on 50 million in the year 2005.
The term “Web log” emerged 1997 , which short form “Blog” in the year 1999, which year, in which generally the boom of this kind of Websites began. After 2001 also the traditional media became attentive to the new representational form. First research work from the journalism over the phenomenon appeared, and ever more private user began to furnish itself, an own Web log. At the same time some Blogs were established as outstanding media, e.g. in the USA the Blog of Andrew Sullivan, AndrewSullivan.com.
Around 2004 the “Bloggen” was ever more commercially used. Many on-line media operated own Blogs, in order to extend their reader circle. The boom reached even actually at journalism not interested dte rodents, which in their Blogs of impressions from their life with one mix from photos and various texts garnierten.
increases forms with the constant growing of the Blogosphäre variety in most different Web log forms. Thus there is further the classical Weblogs, in addition, an increasing number of personal diaries, which are led as Web logs and above all of them uses itself technology which can be served simply too makes. Some Weblogs contains a mixture from comments, net finds and diary entries and serves for primarily to the maintenance or personal self-manifestation in the Internet. Other Weblogs, the Photoblogs (briefly also Phlog), publishes mainly photographies or Handy Kamerabilder (Moblogs). Faster data communication and new Download - technologies (z. B. BitTorrent) permit to make it accessible also larger video sequences - announced than “internet TV” -. This form of a Weblogs is called also briefly video Blog or Vlog.
For Weblogs, which deal contentwise only with more or less sharply defined range of topics, partial own designations were established:
- Blawg, Weblawg, Lawblog (technical terms from Web log and law, right): Law practice and jurisprudence (examples: jurablogs.com)
- Litblog: Literature. (Examples: LyraBlog)
- Watchblog: Medium-critical view/observation of on-line/printed media (examples: BILDblog.de, ORFblog.org)
- Wahlblog: Elections generally and/or. special elections. (Example: wahl.de)
- Corporate Blog: Official Blog of an enterprise.
- Recruiting log: Blog from or over theaters of war and crisis.
- Fotoblog: Blog, with which the representation of photographies is the center of attention.
- Linkblog: Link collection in Blogform.
- Quarter Blogging: A Blogger net reports on quarter.
- Funblog: Blog with references to fun and humor sides.
characteristic of Web log Publishing of systems is that it is very simple with them to publish web pages. Web logs Publishing of systems are simple content management systems, which make an inserting of new contents as well as the change possible of existing contents also for users, who over no or only small Web Design - knowledge orders. The formative adjustment to the personal preferences of the user can be made with many Weblogs by Templates.
Web log software can be installed on own Web space or be used as ASP service with free or liable to pay the costs offerers. To the most well-known systems for same installation Movable type, WordPress and Textpattern belong. ASP platforms in the German-speaking countries are z. B. Live journal, Twoday.net, Blogger, blog.de, blogg.de or myblog.
the following (technical) elements are more or less typical for Weblogs and/or. constitute Weblogs:
- Entries (in reverse chronologically sorted)
- Permalinks, TRACK-bake -, Pingback - functions
- RSS feed
- Asides (also Clippings or Snippets): smaller entries, which consist frequently only of few words or lines and are used in order to refer with a short explanation to interesting topics to other sides or Weblogs.
- Stöckchen (on-line chain letters)
some see a new form of grass root journalism, which can be placed in Europe easily into the tradition of manufacturing Gegenöffentlichkeit in arising Weblogs and their strong spreading in particular in the USA.
Consequences that ever more largely becoming spreading of Weblogs:
- Weblogs have to fight with the problem of the Blogspams.
- Due to the nature and use of Weblogs are if necessary. Conclusions on the personality of the Bloggers possible. Blogger should be conscious the fact that Web log entries are strongly spread and archived on a long-term basis. (In such a way enterprises before attitudes scan increasingly Internet for web pages and Weblogs of the applicants.)
- in Blogs applied topics are taken over meanwhile by the established press. Blogs are recognized thereby partly than Meinungsmacher. Examples of it are and. A. the company Jamba! or the campaign you is Germany, which suspended saw themselves on Blogs of violent criticism.
- Sven Przepiorka: Weblogs and their technical conversion (thesis (diploma)) 2003
- Markus K. Westner: Web log service providing: Identification OF functional requirement and evaluation OF existing Web log services in German and English LANGUAGEs (master work) 2004
- Rebecca Blood: The Web log handbook: practical advice on creating and maintaining your blog. 2002. ISBN 0-73820756-X
- Don Alphonso, dock Pahl (Hrsg): Blogs! Text and form in the Internet. 2004. ISBN 3-89602600-3
- Dirk Olbertz: The Blog book. 2004. ISBN 3-82726715-3
- Markus Christian cook, Astrid hair country: Generation Blogger. 2004. ISBN 3-82661400-3
- Eric Möller: The secret medium revolution - change like Weblogs, Wikis and free software the world. 2005. ISBN 3-93693116-X (1. Edition as free Download (pdf))
- Stephan Mosel: Practices of steered learning on the basis the use of Web-based personnel Publishing systems (thesis (diploma)) 2005
- BlogTalks, hrsg. of Thomas's N. Castle, 2 books as a result of the conference BlogTalk. Academic-pragmatic approach, all articles in English.
- Ansgar Zerfass, Dietrich Boelter: The new Meinungsmacher. 2005. ISBN 3-901402-45-4
- Arnold Picot, Tim Fischer (Hrsg.): Weblogs professionally. Bases, concepts and practice in the business surrounding field. 2006. ISBN 3-89864-375-1
see also: further academic termination work about Weblogs
Web on the left of
- Thomas Pany, “Blooks”: … new luck for Blogger? (Telepolis, 4. April 2006)
- January Schmidt, “like I blogge?!” - an on-line questioning (politics digital.de, 16. February 2006 - Pdf - Download: , 409 KB)
- Weblog FAQ, short definitions about Weblogs
- reason and structure knowledge to Blogs, technology, marketing and Blogsphäre of blogbooster.de
- tips to the selection of Web log systems on barrierekompass.de
to the theory
- „The Blogging Phenomenon Explained “ on SearchandGo (2006) over the origins of the Bloggens (English)
- onlinejournalismus.de, dossier about Weblogs and on-line journalism
- Gerald Heidegger, Karl Kraus and the Blogger: The return of the author in the net (Telepolis, 6. November 2003 - see. ) Free Weblogs
- A Blog.de Blogg.de Free Blog.in provides Karl Kraus to Blogsuche
- technorati.com -
- Technorati, the search machine for Weblogs Google
Blog search Litblogs.net
- Kira Cochrane, The third wave - RK A computer near you (“The Guardian “, 31. March 2006 - over toolistic Blogs; see. , )
- air Anna hoof catching clay/tone, Now the little guy is the true pit bulletin OF journalism (“The Guardian “, 14. March 2006 - Air Anna hoof catching clay/tone is one in the USA very well-known counsel ores Kommentatorin. 2003 stood as a candidate it in California against the current governor Arnold Schwarzenegger; see. , )
- „Blogosphäre: Communication network and marketing factor “, c't, No. 19, 5. September 2005
- „after the Hype “, daily mirror, 28. January 2006, „Weblogs overestimates? On the contrary: The Blogger is written straight warmly. “
- „Weblogs. Now the we media come “, Frankfurt one general newspaper, 26. January 2006, with article dossier over Weblogs
- „knights of the Schwafelrunde “, South German newspaper, 3. February 2006
- are Weblogs a worthwhile challenge for journalists? Journalist journal Vienna, December 2005