World Health Organization
the World Health Organization (English.: World Health Organization, WHO) is a UN-Spezialorganisation, which has its head office in Geneva (Switzerland). Them became to 7. April 1948 based and counts 192 member states. It is the co-ordination authority of the United Nations for the international public health service.
Table of contents
the businessthe WHO by their principal organs, the world health meeting, the executive council as well as the secretariat are noticed.
- The world health meeting (English.: World Health assembly, WHA) is the highest decision organ. All WHO members meet each year in May in Geneva, around thoseto make financial and organizational business and specify the future programs.
- The executive council consists of 32 health experts of the member states. They are selected for three years. In the time between the annual sessions of the WHA is the executive council for thoseGuidance responsibly.
- The secretariat of the WHO with the head office in Geneva and six regional offices converts the activities of the WHO. It is led by the general manager Jong wook Lee, which was selected for the office period until 2003-2008.
those6 regional offices
the 6 regional offices have their seat in the following cities:
- Brazzaville (region Africa)
- Washington (region America)
- New Delhi (region Southeast Asia)
- Copenhagen (region Europe)
- Alexandria (region eastern Mediterranean)
- Manila (region western Pacific)
the WHO is anxious, their operational readiness level into thatTo strengthen member states themselves. About 200 co-operation centers and research establishments support the current programs of the WHO by their activities.
of the two-annual budget of the WHO for the years 2006-2007 of 3313 million of US Dollar are 915 million US Dollar by tidyContributions of the member states and 2398 million by freiwillige of contributions to be financed  . The contributions of the member states are measured after a key, whereby the height of the contribution depends on the solvency of the respective country. WHO projects become partly than publicPrivate Partnership finances:
- Global alliance for vaccines and Immunisierung (GAVI)
- is financed to 75% (750 Mio.US$) by the Bill and Melinda gate Foundation, these has also, in contrast to the UN-organizations, a constant supervisory board seat.
- The global alliance for improved nutrition
- (GAIN) The global one fund to fight against AIDS, malaria and Tuberkulose (global find)
of the WHO
it sets tasks [works on] that their purpose lies in it, to help all peoples to the reaching of the optimum state of health.For the implementation of this purpose the WHO strategy serves „health for all in 21. Century “, which was discharged 1998 of the WHA and which discharged Alma Ata declaration “on the 1978 „been based. A degree at health is to be achieved,that it all humans makes possible to lead socially and economically productive life. Health is noticed as a substantial component of the human development. The health defined of the WHO themselves as a condition of complete physical, mental and social well-beingand is not only characterised by the absence of illness or handicap.
selected fields of activity
- world-wide co-ordination of national and international activities with the fight against transferable diseases such as AIDS, malaria, SARS and flu
- launching more globalVaccination campaigns and programs against health factors of risk such as a smoking or predominance
- regular collection and analysis of world-wide health and disease data.
- Support with the structure by as effective and economical a health systems in third world states as possible
- development and establishment internationally accepted of guidelines, standards, guidelines and methods inhealth-relevant ranges (e.g. Classification of diseases and causes of death, the so-called.ICD)
- Additionally the WHO by international contracts, for example by the beta exercise central conventions, further tasks are transferred.
the WHO has successes largest successes with the fight againstInfections. Owing to world-wide vaccination campaigns death or the handicap can be prevented annually of several millions children.
After for many years the smallpox had been fought, the world health meeting of the WHO explained in May 1980, on recommendation of an expert commission from December 1979, the illness for exterminated.
in the course of the time have themselves severalWorld days with health purchase establishes.
- 15. March - world consumer day
- 21. March - world day of the housekeeping
- 22. March - world water day
- 24. March - world Tuberkulosetag
- 7. April - world health day
- 31. May - world nonsmoker day
- 14. June - world donation of blood day
- 10. September - world Suizid Präventionstag
- 21. September - World Alzheimertag
- 26. September - world heart day
- 20. October - world Osteoporose day
- 22. October - world day of the Stotterns
- 28. October - world pole IO day
- 14. November - world diabetes day
- 25. November - international day against force against Mrs.
- 1. December - world AIDS day
General managers of the WHO
|break Chisholm into||Canada||1948 - 1953|
|Marcolino Gomes Candau||Brazil||1953 - 1973|
|Halfdan T. Meals||Denmark||1973 - 1988|
|Hiroshi Nakajima||Japan||1988 - 1998|
|Gro Harlem Brundtland||Norway||1998 - 2003|
|Lee Jong wook||South Korea||2003 -|
- portal: United Nations
- health, health promotion
- Bamako initiative
- Leonid Roschal, Russian expert of the World Health Organization
- World organization for Animal Health