Table of contents
during the First World War (1914 - 1918) was Ypern strongly contests (first Flanders battle, second Flanders battle, battle of Messines, third Flanders battle). The German troops tried to take several times the city and thereby were struck back (November 1914 and April 1915). To 22. April 1915 came it thereby to the first employment of Chlorgas by the German troops. After the place poisonous gas - in particular mustard gas - in France is called also “yperite”.
The city remained up to the end of the war in hand of the allied ones (among other things Soldier from Great Britain, Australia, New Zealand and Canada). After the war the strongly destroyed city was original-faithfully rebuilt. Historical consciousness and memory have place in the historiography and culture of the city. In the environment from Ypern are today numerous soldier cemeteries.
- Lakenhal (cloth-resound, to garb house)
- surround November 1914, one of the largest everyday gothical building complexes of Europe sinking March in cathedral , bishop seat
- of the former diocese Ypern by medieval community centres, which from 1561 to 1801 existed
- war memorial Menenpoort (intending gate)
the city lives on the trade, on small and middle industrial enterprises and is routistic opened.
partnerships between cities
- holy Adela
- Clemens non dad, composer
- bishop Cornelius Jansen of Ypern, founder of the Jansenismus
- Nicholas Lens, Belgian author and composer
- Eugène Pruyssnaere, Africa researcher
Web on the left of
|Commons: Ypern - pictures, videos and/or audio files|
- official Internet operational readiness level
- city plan
- further information (English, French, Netherlands)
- Netherlands forum over the first world war and Ypern
coordinates: 50° 51 ′ 28 " N, 2° 53 ′ 8 " O
Alveringem | Anzegem | Ardooie | Avelgem | Beernem | Bright mountains | Bredene | Brügge | Dams | De Haan | De Panne | Deerlijk | Dentergem | Diksmuide | Gistel | Harelbeke | Heuvelland | Hooglede | Houthulst | Ichtegem | Ingelmunster | Izegem | Jabbeke | Knokke Heist | Koekelare | Koksijde | Kortemark | Kortrijk | Kuurne | Langemark Poelkapelle | LED in accordance with | Lendelede | Lichtervelde | Truck Inge | Menen | Mesen | Meulebeke | Middelkerke | Moorslede | Nieuwpoort | Oostkamp | Oostrozebeke | East end | Oudenburg | Pittem | Poperinge | Roeselare | Ruiselede | Spiere Helkijn | Staden | Tielt | Torhout | Veurne | Vleteren | Commodity in accordance with | Wervik | Wevelgem | Wielsbeke | Vienna genes | Ypern | Zedelgem | Zonnebeke | Zuienkerke | Zwevegem