the tooth is called on latin dens; dentes = teeth; dentis = the tooth; dental = concerning the tooth. The GreekName for tooth reads odous; odontes = the teeth.
The medicine (v. lat. acre medicina „welfare art “; also medicine).
Due to the anatomical conditions the dental medicine is concerned mainly with one relativelysmall cutout of the human body. The chewing apparatus is embedded into the systems of functions head - neck - shoulder - range. Illnesses and disturbances within these ranges can affect the function of the chewing apparatus. In addition many diseases show, e.g. Blood diseases or infections, symptoms in thatOral cavity. Turned around diseased changes of the oral cavity affect often also the remaining body. Therefore the tooth physician is occupied in the today's time not exclusively with teeth and gums, but considered beyond that also adjacent functional areas.
Table of contents
In the Middle Ages humans had the conception, a worm, that itselfby the tooth eats, cause the tooth illnesses. One cured tormenting toothache until 1829 with the fuel iron to the Kautern of the Karies and the nerves. Most patients lost consciousness with this treatment. Around the open-lying nerve to kill one used arsenic paste, the patientone could take so the pain. Also ethers, chloroform and laughing gas were well-known. Cocaine supplemented later the means for pain treatment.
For many centuries one used Holzstäbchen, covered with alkaline ash, up-frayed, at the end ginger, Bengalpfeffer or soaked in alum for the cleaning thatTeeth. The first toothbrushes originated from early 18. Century.
|Historical development of the dentistry|
|1869||the north German federationthe first test order specifies; Obligation: 2 years study and practical experiences with the dentist|
|1889||uniform test order|
|1910||establishment of dentistischer tutorial establishments. Dentisten are trained 2 years, it follow 4 years practical course|
|1919||possibility of the graduation for tooth physician, title: “Dr. med. dent. “|
|One recognizes||1920 Dentistenausbildung.The job title “tooth craftsman/artist” abolished|
|1952||the dentistry law replaces the term “Dentist” by “dentist”|
|starting from 1965||first restriction of permission for the field of the dental medicine|
the tooth medical profession
in the Middle Ages and the following centuries were pulled teeth not by academically trained physicians, but by craftsmen, usually of Baths. One called tooth crushers” or “Zahnreisser” it also “. In addition, specialists exercised their occupation by different instruments, it gave Marktschreier and Scharlatane, whose interest lay mainly in the money gain and whose call was doubtful.
Before the possibility the patientor its teeth to beta-experienced, fast working was necessary.
|Tooth physician in history|
|100-200||of archie gene, Roman physician from Syria. Founder of the dentistry|
|1725||first use of the term “dentist”|
|1756||publishes Philipp Pfaff the first text book of the dentistry in German language: “Papersof the teeth and their diseases “; it is considered as a founder of the German dentistry|
finding collection and diagnosis
are first finding collection and diagnosis considered regarding the Kariestherapie here. To the collection of oneGenerally anamnesis fills out the patient, usually, if it is treated the first time in a practice, a questionnaire. Generally illnesses can effects on the tooth health have and special treatment risks contain. In addition ones for the written self information of the patient patient and physician hold a conversation. Possibly asksto fill out the physician the patient a nourishing questionnaire, in order to be able to estimate the individual Kariesrisiko better.
The intraorale findings, to its collection the physician the teeth , follow which examines gums and the remaining mouth mucous membrane of the patient. In individual cases the saliva flow rate is determined.
It followsthe documentation of the tooth status.
Tooth status the collection of the dentures condition is called. Here missing teeth, replaced teeth, Kariesbefall, fillings, Inlays, Onlays, implants as well as bad positions or other tooth illnesses in written form or as picture are held.
Among the special diagnostic measures Roentgen diagnosis and special investigations rank, for instance concerning the Parodontalstatus.
to prophylaxis (preventing dentistry)
see Unterartikel: Prophylaxis (dental medicine)
beside the recommendation of fluoridhaltiger tooth paste regardingKariesprophylaxe, gives the dentist advice to the correct tooth finery technology and makes professional tooth cleaning. A generally good mouth hygiene reduces the Kariesrisiko and the risk of the subsequent sequences of teeth and tooth retaining apparatus.
Dentist attendance in regular intervals are meaningfully, over Karies already developed promptly recognize and treat toocan and so the damages minimize.
most dental treatments are accomplished today under local beta exercise. Usually it applies to remove for Karies. The infected tooth hard substance must be eliminated and the tooth with a filling material be supplied. The filling therapy becomes the preserving dentistryassigned. The preserving dentistry concerns itself with tooth preservation, it can be subdivided into
- prevention, also prophylaxis mentioned;
- the filling therapy;
- the Kariologie, which concerns itself with the emergence of the Karies. All factors, which release Demineralisationsvorgänge, are considered, for example the influence of foodon the Ent mineralisation the teeth;
- the Parodontologie, which is concerned with the illnesses of the tooth retaining apparatus and
- which Endodontie, whose article is the internal tooth soft fabric (Pulpa).
to extraction (pull a tooth)
see Unterartikel: Extraction (dental medicine)
thoseExtraction is a dental procedure for the mechanical distance of a tooth. It is not considered as operational procedure and under local beta exercise is usually accomplished.
see Unterartikel: Artificial dentures
With increasing age or by accidents it can come to tooth losses. This throughWhole or part of prostheses to replace is the treatment area of the Prothetik. The different artificial dentures can be divided into:
- caked-on artificial dentures
- herausnehmbarer artificial dentures
- conditionally herausnehmbar (= combines caked-on/herausnehmbar)
as materials precious metal stands - for alloys, non--precious metal alloys, ceramic(s) and Plastics for the order.
Before a dentist supplies the patient with artificial dentures, it provides welfare and a costs plan, which the patient submits with his health insurance company and receives from this the promise of the assumption of the costs. (Applies only to Germany)
The dentist takes castings of the current dentures - situationthe patient. The castings are filled in the Dentallabor with gypsum, whereby models of the dentures situation develop. The Dentallabor manufactures the artificial dentures from the desired materials after default of the dentist. In the dental practice register accuracy is examined and the artificial dentures in the mouth of the patient are durably fastened.
further subsections of the dental medicine
- the mouth,Kiefer and face surgery treats apart from the generally dental surgery, tumor illnesses, illnesses of the Kiefer and face nerves and false formations. It covers diagnostics and therapy of inflammation diseases, malfunctions and pain syndromes, dentale Implantologie, the possibility of plastic-aesthetic operations for instance for re-establishment after accidents orfor purely cosmetic reasons as well as the dental fasziale accident surgery.
- The Kieferorthopädie is concerned with preventing, recognition and treatment of bad positions of the Kiefer and the teeth (tooth bad position; Tooth, Kieferregulierung).
- The Psychosomatik explains the connections and the mutual influence of soul and body of humans. General psychologicalStrain can express itself for example in nocturnal Zähneknir (Bruxismus), what can have effects on the functionality of teeth and Kiefergelenk.
the fear of the dental treatment
of almost any one knows that somewhat unpleasant feeling, that most humans forwards or during oneDental treatment feel. Many say of itself, they would have fear of the dentist. The unpleasant feeling or an easy fearfulness does not prevent it however, as recommended by dentists and health insurance companies to visit half-yearly or at least annually for control investigation a dental practice.
From it to distinguish clearly is the Phobiebefore dentist and dental treatment, who with 10 - 20% of the population a large number of patients developed (so-called fear patients). Who suffers under these Phobie, it has so strong fear conditions in or before the releasing situation that these itself in sweats, trembling, concentration disturbances, loss of appetite and/orSleep disturbances to strike down can.
- The most frequent causes of these special Phobie are unpleasant or trauma tables of experiences during a treatment and/or narrations over such experiences.
- To the consequences belongs a pronounced avoidance behavior of the patients, which can be enough so far that they go for many decades to the feared situation out of the wayand no dental practice visit. Among them the condition of the teeth, often also that of the gums, that suffers the remaining mouth mucous membrane and the tooth retaining apparatus. Many concerning develop additionally to their Phobie also pronounced shames and suffer in the everyday life from it by an enormous impairment of its quality of life.
- The beginningsfor the therapy of the Phobie and concomitantly the teeth are various. They reach from behavior therapy over medicamentous sedation or a combination from both to the treatment under full arcose. Partners are dentists, psychologists or psychiatrists.
- International Dental looking
- study of the dental medicine
- Data base with medical articles of the national medical library of the USA (NLM) (Wiki)
- Klaus Rötz: Forensi dental medicine. BoD 2005, ISBN 3833403721
- The World orally Health report 2003. WHO, gene EH of 2003
- Galvanoprothetik new ways to the biological artificial dentures. Quintessence, ISBN 3-87652-486-5
- Metal-free restoration by employment of full-ceramic materials. Literature under www.ag-keramik.de menu NEWS - “literature”
Web on the left of
|Commons: Dental medicine - pictures, videos and/or audio files|
|please consider you the reference to health topics!|